• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Auction System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
Hi there everyone!

About the project I'm making. The project I'm making is called: "The Chosen Ones". I have been making it over a year and released over 20 alpha versions from it and I'm still going strong. I'll never give up. The campaign currently have over 200 cinematics, over 100 spells, over 20 boss battles, etc, etc. So this is a huge campaign.

About the request. Because the campaign have over 500 items, I need a system for chapter 7(the campaign have 11 chapters). This system is called: "Auction System". I would like you to make an "Auction System" for the campaign.

So what is actually "Auction"?
Source: Wikipedia said:
An auction is a process of buying and selling goods or services by offering them up for bid, taking bids, and then selling the item to the winning bidder. In economic theory, an auction may refer to any mechanism or set of trading rules for exchange.

There are several variations on the basic auction form, including time limits, minimum or maximum limits on bid prices, and special rules for determining the winning bidder(s) and sale price(s). Participants in an auction may or may not know the identities or actions of other participants. Depending on the auction, bidders may participate in person or remotely through a variety of means, including telephone and the internet. The seller usually pays a commission to the auctioneer or auction company based on a percentage of the final sale price.

Here are some information about this "Auction System":
  • The project I'm making is a campaign. This means, bidding is a battle between the player and NPC(computer). This is a great challenge, because you have to make some kind of AI.
  • The campaign is made mostly by basic GUI and I don't understand JASS. You can't do this system with vJASS(campaigns bugs). So, make it with GUI or JASS(if JASS, you have to tell me more how the system works).
  • I want you to make a test map, where we can test this system. I have some great testers that will help us to test this system.
  • The system should be easily edited and install to the campaign.
  • I'm not sure how the "texts" should be done. Perhaps flying text?
  • The system have to be leakless.
  • The system should not be "spammy". I mean, when a broker yells "Next Item is X" all NPCs won't just say "YEAAH I WILL PAY THAT ITEM FOR 666 GOLD!!! IT WILL BE GREAT FOR MY SUPER COLLECTION!!!".
  • The auction system should be somewhat fast(watch that youtube video).
  • I think 5 is a good amount of bidders(NPCs).
  • The other bidders are interested in specific items. For example, bidder A is interested with potion type items, he pays more gold than others from potions.
  • To make this system more accurate, I will tell here five different categories of items that can be sold in the shop: 1) Potions, 2) Armours/Shields, 3) Weapons, 4) Rings/Jewels/Diamonds, 5) Spells and Artifacts.
  • There should be however, somewhat random(it would be stupid if every time bidders stop in specific point). Example if the gold goes over 2500 a bidder maybe not or maybe yes can go little over it.
  • Only 1 item of type can be bought. If computer buys an item, this item will be able to buy later(put it to end of the line for example). If player buys it, the item will be removed from the list(and cannot be bought again).
  • There should be for example variables where I can easily change what is items' maximum and minimum gold buy from different NPCs(and everything else that can be changed should be done easily).
  • There will be first about 20 items, later will be more items.
  • More items should be easy to put to the system.
  • If player for example(or there can be other ways to bid, it's up to you) write "-bid 500", he bids 500 gold for the next item.
  • The system actually can run all the time.
  • However, player's hero have to be near of this auction hall to bid(it would be stupid to bid items when you are for example middle of a boss fight :D).
  • Finally, here's an excellent example of aa Auction Hall. This video is from Final Fantasy 9. I hope the system can be somewhat same as the video. I really like this kind of auction system, it's fast and easy. [Starts from 30 second to 120 second!]

Please ask from me anything about the system, or the project itself I'm making. I'm a positive guy, and I'm ready to answer anything. And, as you can see, my english is not the best and I'm a bit bad explaining new stuff, so ask me anything! The easiest way to contact me is to put me to your MSN list or just send an email. My email is [email protected]. I will of course watch this thread daily to see if someone is brave enough to take this great challenge.

I will improve the first post, if something is asked. Making this system may take few weeks, but hey, I'm ready to wait. And no hurry.

If you can do this, I will give you some REP in here, and great credits at the campaign. I will put your name to epilogue and perhaps to prologue(depending if the system is awesome!). I really hope you can do this. It will be a huge boost for the campaign and for other projects that may use this system also. Thank you beforehand.

Last edited:
Level 17
I'm to lazy to actualy create it but here are some suggestions.

1) You'll need variables, that's for sure.
Each item that will be sold should be assigned to a variable (use arrays).

2) You should add in alot of conditions and variables, for example for an integer variable that keeps track how much gold is currently bid.
You should add gold limits to the units through variables. (The bots nor the player can't bid more then they actualy have.)
This way if you bid high enough certain bot bidders wont bid anymore.
You can also check if the bidding unit (through unit variables) is a potion type guy etc, it will always try to bid a bit more.

3) You could also throw in % in it, a random number between 0 and 100 and if its below 10 for example the guy wont bid.
if its below 50 and above 10 it will bid normal, and if its above 50 it will bid alot.

These are just some suggestions, it's possible to make a system like this with GUI but I'm to lazy to create something like this, perhaps in the forseeable future I'll make it, but not now with my exams comming up.
I hope these suggestions helped you.

Level 37
I'm to lazy to actualy create it but here are some suggestions.

1) You'll need variables, that's for sure.
Each item that will be sold should be assigned to a variable (use arrays).

2) You should add in alot of conditions and variables, for example for an integer variable that keeps track how much gold is currently bid.
You should add gold limits to the units through variables. (The bots nor the player can't bid more then they actualy have.)
This way if you bid high enough certain bot bidders wont bid anymore.
You can also check if the bidding unit (through unit variables) is a potion type guy etc, it will always try to bid a bit more.

3) You could also throw in % in it, a random number between 0 and 100 and if its below 10 for example the guy wont bid.
if its below 50 and above 10 it will bid normal, and if its above 50 it will bid alot.

These are just some suggestions, it's possible to make a system like this with GUI but I'm to lazy to create something like this, perhaps in the forseeable future I'll make it, but not now with my exams comming up.
I hope these suggestions helped you.
Excellent suggestions. A repuation point for you indeed. However, as I said in the first post, I'm busy with the campaign itself and I lack with triggers. I need someone to do this.

Level 17
When I passed this first school exam (yeh i have 2 school exams and one central exam) I'll have some time free. This will be roughly after a month and perhaps a extra week.

If nobody made something like this for you by then I'll be sure to create this for you. =)
(At least I'll give it a good try.)

Level 16
This seems interesting, i might try making one.

EDIT2: I guess you want it in MUI?

EDIT3: Ok, i've got some work done. It selects 3 random items, [1 random lvl2 item], [1 random lvl3 item] and [1 random lvl4 item]. Only standard ones though.

Things that it can do (so far):
  • Raise / Lower a placing bid
  • Place the bid
  • Give the outgoing item if you win
  • Reduce player's gold when win
  • Show current bid on a leaderboard
Might've missed some info. Will post the alpha when i've got the AI to work.

Last edited:
Level 37
SkriK said:
EDIT2: I guess you want it in MUI?
What do you mean by this? It is a campaign, single player.

SkriK said:
EDIT3: Ok, i've got some work done. It selects 3 random items, [1 random lvl2 item], [1 random lvl3 item] and [1 random lvl4 item]. Only standard ones though.
Hmm... What do you mean by level? It's same to me what levels items are.

SkriK said:
Might've missed some info. Will post the alpha when i've got the AI to work.
Ok, nice to hear that.

Level 16
What do you mean by this? It is a campaign, single player.
MUI - Multi Unit Instancable, so that many players can use it at the same time. I already started it as MUI, so i'll finish it that way.

Hmm... What do you mean by level? It's same to me what levels items are.
Auction item 1 = Random item with item level 2
Auction item 2 = Random item with item level 3
Auction item 2 = Random item with item level 4
It's only like that for now, since i don't use custom items.

Level 37
SkriK said:
MUI - Multi Unit Instancable, so that many players can use it at the same time. I already started it as MUI, so i'll finish it that way.
Well, same to me.

SkriK said:
Auction item 1 = Random item with item level 2
Auction item 2 = Random item with item level 3
Auction item 2 = Random item with item level 4
Nonono, don't do it like that. I have over 500 items, it would be buggy if there's some items I don't wanna there to be. Just make a variable or something that adds specific items.

Level 37
-bumb-

I discussed today with SkriK. He lost his map and that's why he lost his interests to finish the system. That's a little bit sad, but I understand him 100%. So, the job is once again open, I really hope someone can do this in near future. I'll go to chapter 7 in 1 month. I would like this to be done in this time.

Soo... anyone?

Level 37
hi There Everyone!

About The Project I'm Making. The Project I'm Making Is Called: "the Chosen Ones". I Have Been Making It Over A Year And Released Over 20 Alpha Versions From It And I'm Still Going Strong. I'll Never Give Up. The Campaign Currently Have Over 200 Cinematics, Over 100 Spells, Over 20 Boss Battles, Etc, Etc. So This Is A Huge Campaign.

About The Request. Because The Campaign Have Over 500 Items, I Need A System For Chapter 7(the Campaign Have 11 Chapters). This System Is Called: "auction System". I Would Like You To Make An "auction System" For The Campaign.

So What Is Actually "auction"?

Here Are Some Information About This "auction System":
  • the Project I'm Making Is A Campaign. This Means, Bidding Is A Battle Between The Player And Npc(computer). This Is A Great Challenge, Because You Have To Make Some Kind Of Ai.
  • the Campaign Is Made Mostly By Basic Gui And I Don't Understand Jass. You Can't Do This System With Vjass(campaigns Bugs). So, Make It With Gui Or Jass(if Jass, You Have To Tell Me More How The System Works).
  • i Want You To Make A Test Map, Where We Can Test This System. I Have Some Great Testers That Will Help Us To Test This System.
  • the System Should Be Easily Edited And Install To The Campaign.
  • i'm Not Sure How The "texts" Should Be Done. Perhaps Flying Text?
  • the System Have To Be Leakless.
  • the System Should Not Be "spammy". I Mean, When A Broker Yells "next Item Is X" All Npcs Won't Just Say "yeaah I Will Pay That Item For 666 Gold!!! It Will Be Great For My Super Collection!!!".
  • the Auction System Should Be Somewhat Fast(watch That Youtube Video).
  • i Think 5 Is A Good Amount Of Bidders(npcs).
  • the Other Bidders Are Interested In Specific Items. For Example, Bidder A Is Interested With Potion Type Items, He Pays More Gold Than Others From Potions.
  • to Make This System More Accurate, I Will Tell Here Five Different Categories Of Items That Can Be Sold In The Shop: 1) Potions, 2) Armours/shields, 3) Weapons, 4) Rings/jewels/diamonds, 5) Spells And Artifacts.
  • there Should Be However, Somewhat Random(it Would Be Stupid If Every Time Bidders Stop In Specific Point). Example If The Gold Goes Over 2500 A Bidder Maybe Not Or Maybe Yes Can Go Little Over It.
  • only 1 Item Of Type Can Be Bought. If Computer Buys An Item, This Item Will Be Able To Buy Later(put It To End Of The Line For Example). If Player Buys It, The Item Will Be Removed From The List(and Cannot Be Bought Again).
  • there Should Be For Example Variables Where I Can Easily Change What Is Items' Maximum And Minimum Gold Buy From Different Npcs(and Everything Else That Can Be Changed Should Be Done Easily).
  • there Will Be First About 20 Items, Later Will Be More Items.
  • more Items Should Be Easy To Put To The System.
  • if Player For Example(or There Can Be Other Ways To Bid, It's Up To You) Write "-bid 500", He Bids 500 Gold For The Next Item.
  • the System Actually Can Run All The Time.
  • however, Player's Hero Have To Be Near Of This Auction Hall To Bid(it Would Be Stupid To Bid Items When You Are For Example Middle Of A Boss Fight :d).
  • finally, Here's An Excellent Example Of Aa Auction Hall. This Video Is From Final Fantasy 9. I Hope The System Can Be Somewhat Same As The Video. I Really Like This Kind Of Auction System, It's Fast And Easy. [starts From 30 Second To 120 Second!]

Please Ask From Me Anything About The System, Or The Project Itself I'm Making. I'm A Positive Guy, And I'm Ready To Answer Anything. And, As You Can See, My English Is Not The Best And I'm A Bit Bad Explaining New Stuff, So Ask Me Anything! The Easiest Way To Contact Me Is To Put Me To Your Msn List Or Just Send An Email. My Email Is [email protected]. I Will Of Course Watch This Thread Daily To See If Someone Is Brave Enough To Take This Great Challenge.

I Will Improve The First Post, If Something Is Asked. Making This System May Take Few Weeks, But Hey, I'm Ready To Wait. And No Hurry.

If You Can Do This, I Will Give You Some Rep In Here, And Great Credits At The Campaign. I Will Put Your Name To Epilogue And Perhaps To Prologue(depending If The System Is Awesome!). I Really Hope You Can Do This. It Will Be A Huge Boost For The Campaign And For Other Projects That May Use This System Also. Thank You Beforehand.
Request Updated!

Level 22
Meh, okay.
Just make some chat-based event.
Then check the substring, and if its greater than 'bid price' then set bid price to the substring, and run some countdown. If you havent been overbid, in that time, then give item, and show message. Also, make a Player variable, to the winner, of the auction.

Level 21

Well, some things aren't entirely clear yet...

- These "item types" are classifications? Like "campaign" items are armours/shields? Or how did you implement different item types?
- Item minimum/maximum gold price: Does this mean that for each bidder AND for each item being sold you need different min/max prices? Like:

Bidder # 1
- Item 1: between 500 and 1500 gold
- Item 2: between 5000 and 7000 gold

Bidder # 2:
- Item 1: between 750 and 2000 gold
- Item 2: between 5500 and 6500 gold

So for example bidder 2 offers 6000 gold for item 2 and depending on a random chance, bidder 1 will still not make a higher offer even though he could bid over bidder 2's maximum price?

Then I also don't understand "minimum" price: shouldn't that be determined by the auction house itself rather than by bidders?

-
only 1 Item Of Type Can Be Bought. If Computer Buys An Item, This Item Will Be Able To Buy Later(put It To End Of The Line For Example). If Player Buys It, The Item Will Be Removed From The List(and Cannot Be Bought Again).

Obviously, if a player buys the item, the item will go to his inventory and be gone from the auction house... But I don't understand what you meant with the computer stuff...

-
the System Actually Can Run All The Time.
So there are constantly items being added and sold at the auction house, the whole time? Cause that'd mean an unlimitted amount of opportunities for you to buy the same item for a lower price...

Can the player put items in the auction house to be sold?

Level 37
Eleandor said:
- These "item types" are classifications? Like "campaign" items are armours/shields? Or how did you implement different item types?
Yes, the items that can be bought from the Auction are different kind of items. For example, shields, armors. They are from item class already. There are also some spells from your system. :p

Eleandor said:
So for example bidder 2 offers 6000 gold for item 2 and depending on a random chance, bidder 1 will still not make a higher offer even though he could bid over bidder 2's maximum price?
Yes, every item should have at least these things(variables that I can modify easily):
  • Buyer #1's maximum gold bid.
  • Buyer #2's maximum gold bid.
  • Buyer #3's maximum gold bid.
  • Buyer #4's maximum gold bid.
  • Buyer #5's maximum gold bid.

Eleandor said:
Then I also don't understand "minimum" price: shouldn't that be determined by the auction house itself rather than by bidders?
Now that you mention the minimum price, I don't see anything useful for that. There just should be the start price.

Eleandor said:
Obviously, if a player buys the item, the item will go to his inventory and be gone from the auction house... But I don't understand what you meant with the computer stuff...
Aaa... So if computer buys example "Dog's Shit" item, you can buy this "Dog's Shit" item later. However, if player buys "Dog's Shit" item, he can't never buy it again. This allows the player to buy all items from the auction hall after all.

Eleandor said:
So there are constantly items being added and sold at the auction house, the whole time? Cause that'd mean an unlimitted amount of opportunities for you to buy the same item for a lower price...
It doesn't need to active all the time. It can be activated like when player enters to the place. About opportunities, this is a single player game and player can already abuse the save/load system.

Eleandor said:
Can the player put items in the auction house to be sold?
Nooope.

Status
Not open for further replies.