• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My first attempt at an ORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I haven't wrote the complete story yet so I haven't add it into the map. So there are no story that goes with this Demo version. I haven't had anything planned out as yet, I'm just makign things up as I go along. The map might not be good but it's fun making it.

I just need to get more ideas on how to terrain the map better since its pretty much plain and emtpy atm.

I've completed about 70% of the first town. The neutral NPC doesn't do anything atm, including the vendors. The reason for that is because there is already a save system in the map I'm still thinking about which items to include in the NPC.

The features so far:

-Creep respawn (no leaks)
-Item drops (drop rates varies from mobs to mobs and also by lv)
-Personal storage (I will add an item to increase the amount of pages that the storage unit has)
-Stats Allocation (Manual stats allocation for every hero)
-Save/Load (I need help to modify the save system to save Normal Unit Spells)
-Item Upgrade (Success rate lowers as the items get to higher upgrade lvs, when the item fails there is a chance it will break, that chance will also increase with upgrade lv)
-Camera System(As of now the camera system along with its configuration is fully functional.)
-Date/Time (Features for gameplay variation.)
-Difficulty Adjustment (Mob strength will now adjust depending on the number of players.)

Features I will add in the future:

-Item Combinations
-Range weapon options (I dont know how to disable a unit's attack index using trigger yet, if anyone knows how let me know)
-Quests (main and optional)
-Dynamic availability of vendor items
-Damage text (I currently have no idea how to do this atm)
-Day, Night, Noon, Mid Night functions for units, requirements for spells, events (some spells will require certain times of day to work i.e. solar flare will need noon. Some units will change to a different form during different parts of the day i.e. at mid-night wolf form but near human form during day time) - almost complete.

might think of more later

Atm Im stuck with terraining an overgrown forrest.

Please provide me inputs and ideas of how to continue this project if you have any.

Keep in mind that I only started to work on this map 2 days ago so its still empty.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 306
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 318
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 273
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 277
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 311
  • Hero Saga.w3x
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 308
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Level 9
liked the idea of entering buildings and manual stat allocation
terrain needs use work, only thing to do is grind..atm :eek:

Ya i know that because i just started it and implement all the features I'll work more on the terrain tomorrow. Just want to get ideas of what to add where. Even creeps are just there for the demo, they wont be where they are when i release the beta. I'll get at least 70% of the terrain done by that time too though. Right now the terrain is like 3% done.

Level 9
No not desert, I made it so that it has sand as starting tiles because i want all the coast area to have sand and the towards land will have dirt/snow/lava etc... It makes sense that area near the sea are sandy right?

I will prob gather a team later on once this map start to take shape. No one will be interested to work on a blank map anyways.

Anyone show me how to terrain a farm on a hill?

Last edited:
Level 9
Probably because I spent a crap load of time on making it lol. Took me about 4 hours to do everything thats in the demo (combined from 2 days though). It would take a veteran map maker way less time than what i spent.

Level 2
The temple thing looks pretty nice. But an rpg is a huge thing to start out on, or is that just my point of view?

Level 9
Well so far its going well I only have an hour per day to spent on it though. so far i got the farm done and a couple of creeps. The items are up to 90-ish atm there was only about 50 in the demo. Let me know if you have any ideas. I'm redoing the creeps' difficulty though add a few new features to make each type of creeps unique from others.

The fact that you for example don't use blizzard cliffs is a very good step, and your map layout also appears to have some thought to it, wich is nice.
But i REALLY don't like the city in the third pic.
First of all, you need to have those lightpoles properly scaled, make them smaller!
and second, download the Ultimate Terraining Map 3.0, and look for a good ruins wall. Export them through the import manager and import them into your map.
I've never liked the destructable walls blizzard make, it feels like enemies could just jump across it. There are many good walls in the "structures" section of the utm.
Second, i think you should swap your towers for "boulder towers" instead, it would fit the wall theme better.

Finally, try having a little look at the forest pictures in this thread:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/between-worlds-138238/

Yes, they are very messy, but try studying the tile variation, and the usage of the World Tree model. Judging by your barracks, i asume you already know that any model in warcraft can be a doodad (except for destructable trees, wich have replacable textures) and that they can all be scaled however you want.
Another useful tip is that if you hold shift while you click at either the "maximum pitch angle" or "maximum roll angle" of a doodad, you can enter a negative value, and thus make the doodad lie, or be upside down!
This is very usefull, since you can apply it to waterfalls, and place them horizontally as river streams.
Good luck on your map!

Level 9
As you can see the map is very big, making every area detailed with doodads at the start inst a very good idea. I'm trying to finish everything area first then come back and polish them as needed. The terrain also has to be playable while has detailed terrain so that's a challenge in itself. I'm not happy with the town though, of course I'll add civs later but for now i need ideas of how to make it look better.

I'll hold off on the walls for now since imports will take up map space the map is too big to have everything imported but i'll check to see if the cannon towers look better.

First of all: I have done maps that are 256x256 and have over 200 imported doodads, and filled the map with much more detailed terrain, still having a map with a size below 4mb (current max size is 8mb!) and not causing lag. Importing a wall model is nothing. Try focusing on importing doodads rather than über-sized unit models. Second, since you have already placed blizzard trees i doubt you were planning on replacing them. Get proper trees from the utm and things will look much better. The blizzard sunken tree is ok, but i would totally recommend adding some custom palm trees.
Amd i said boulder tower, not cannon. You know, the brown ones.

I also think you should change that tileset.
Some nice tiles i recommend:
Ashenvale lumpy grass
Ashenvale grassy dirt
village rocks
ashenvale leaves
sunken ruins dirt (to add some variation to that endless sand!)
Dalaran ruins rough dirt (looks like very dark and moist tropical dirt)

To get up to 16 tiles in your map, you should download JassNewGenPack, open the map with it, go extensions>edit tileset and click the ones you want.

Level 9
Thanks for the suggestions I think it'll be a prob replacing some of the tiles though since most of the ones i have are in use. (yes i used all 16 points of tiles since some are 2 points and im using newgen)

I'm currently exporting stuff from UTM3.0 as I work on the terrain. The sandy parts of the map are the ones I haven't touch yet thats why they are giant.

This 480x480 map is harder to work on than I though too many places to fill and I haven't got anything planned out atm lol.

Feel free to give me more suggestions, I'll try to incorporate the ones you gave so far into the map. As for the trees I've already replaced the models with non-blizzard ones.

I'm trying to finish up the streams and waterfall so i can start on the necropolis.

Last edited:
Level 6
What kind of areas are finished and what kind of areas are you planning to make? One easy way to think of what you want to add is to just play other maps and snitch what some ideas :p

PS you didn't here this from me.

Level 9
To tell you the truth I'm just making up things as I go along... I did play a few rpgs to figure out what to avoid to make the map boring after a short while of play. Most of what I got out from other maps are terraining ideas since I'm still not sure what the storyline for this should be yet, still deciding among a few. I need one that isn't about defeating some evil guy and save something. It's hard to be original in that area.

Update: I finished the water fall( calling it: Eden Pond - Lair of the Poisonous Frogs), for now at least, might make some changes to it later. working on creeps for that area and the area above the water fall( calling it: Eternal Stream - Land of the Snap Dragons)

Level 4
How about being evil? That is always fun - plus its a break from save the world. What if I want to destroy it? I should be able to and crush anyone that gets in my way.

Slaughtering the innocent ftw?

Level 9
I'll probably add quests that have more than one outcome possibility so it doesn't always end the same. For example if an entire village is sick because of the plague you can choose to get meds or just burn them all.

Level 9
I'm basically stuck to working with Creeps and Terrains atm, can't work on abilities because I need a way to modify the currently save system to save abilities that are added by triggers. Anyone Knows their way around JASS are willing to help me with modifying a save system please let me know. Reps and credits will be given as usual.

Level 4
I'd say look up the custom ability code in the OE, it will be like A006 or something like that and use the level of ability for unit bolean... I think thats how you would do it.

Level 4
I'm no coder, Jass > GUI > Me

But from looking at it I think you could set up a varriable array (the total number of skills available x the total number of players, i.e 5 skills at 8 players or a 40 array) and every time a skill is learned you just set that skill to the array, and make a string for the skills so when -save is typed it sets something for that skill.

I did a quick GUI and Jass code for whichever you use - its the same thing.
  • Ability:
    • Events:
      • Unit - A unit (Learns a skill or Acquires an Item or Gains a Level)
    • Conditions:
      • (Learned Hero Skill or Item Being Manipulated or Level of Leveling Hero) Equal to (Your Skill/Item/Level)
    • Actions:
      • Set Ability [1] = (Your ability)
JASS:
function Trig_Hey_Im_ability_thingy_Conditions takes nothing returns boolean
    if ( not ( GetLearnedSkillBJ() == 'Aamk' ) ) then
        return false
    endif
    return true
endfunction

function Trig_Hey_Im_ability_thingy_Func001C takes nothing returns boolean
    if ( not ( GetOwningPlayer(GetLearningUnit()) == Player(0) ) ) then
        return false
    endif
    return true
endfunction

function Trig_Hey_Im_ability_thingy_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
    if ( Trig_Hey_Im_ability_thingy_Func001C() ) then
        set udg_Ability[1] = 'Aamk'
    else
    endif
endfunction

//===========================================================================
function InitTrig_Hey_Im_ability_thingy takes nothing returns nothing
    set gg_trg_Hey_Im_ability_thingy = CreateTrigger(  )
    call TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ( gg_trg_Hey_Im_ability_thingy, EVENT_PLAYER_HERO_SKILL )
    call TriggerAddCondition( gg_trg_Hey_Im_ability_thingy, Condition( function Trig_Hey_Im_ability_thingy_Conditions ) )
    call TriggerAddAction( gg_trg_Hey_Im_ability_thingy, function Trig_Hey_Im_ability_thingy_Actions )
endfunction
Of course go into the save encrpytions part and just add those - make sure you add them to the load as well.

Also I probably should point out something about having it stop after the skill has been learned so it doesn't get overwritten but I can't do that, you'll need an experienced triggerer to help you with that.

Level 9
I can set those abilities to arrays and make it so the game can recall them at any point during gameplay. The prob arise when I can't save those stored abilities, they dont get calculated into the code when a player types save. To do just that I need someone who can edit JASS. Every game features/functions that you see in the demo except the save/load system is written by me using just GUI, no JASS whatsoever, as far as I know every leaks are cleaned and triggers are only as long as they need to be and as little coding as possible. Wish I could do the same for JASS though. Well hopefully someone will respond to this and help me out a bit with the editing.

Level 18
Ok noob can i start making some example heroes (ideas for heroes) + items + some quest and i send them to you ok >?? but you have to give me the map to see so i can imagine some quest and etc :D if you want protect it ;P

EDIT: I am thinking now on a unique ability system i think it will be little hard but it will be very cool :p

Level 9
At this time there Heroes won't have a specific job. I want this ORPG to really be an Open RPG so starting Heroes are really shells. Their specific Jobs will be depend on the abilities that the players choose for them.

I.E. if a player want a flame mage he/she would have to get passives that increase flame damage/range/area effects and flame spells.

That will be how spells work for now. I have a few things to fix before uploading the next Demo map so anyone who wants to help can look at. Since it will be confusing for everyone to have a different version of the map I'll keep the only unlocked version of it so when you want to add something just make it on a blank map and send to me I'll incorporate it in. Everyone who contributes to the map will be listed in the credits section when the map is release though. I intent to finish this one if everything goes smoothly.

As for ideas, you shoudl post them here so people can contribute to it making it better ideas, I'm doing the same so far.

Level 9
I need help with some of these ideas:

I'm thinking of having each different element of spell come with a unique effect.

I.E.
Flame Spells - average damage over time (duration and amount varies depending on the hero's stats and the ability)
Water Spells - Makes the target misses for a short duration (duration varies on the ability and hero's stats)
Poison Spells - Minor damage and slowed movement rate over an infinite amount of time until cured.
Ice Spells - Slowed attack rate and movement rate for a duration (duration and effect will depend on the ability and hero's stats)
Holy Spells - ???
Dark Spells - ???
Wind Spells - ???
Earth Spells - ???
Lightning Spells - ???

Any other elements?

So far I know how to do these in GUI, probably not as efficient as someone would write in JASS but with no leaks I'm hoping it will be good for now.

Level 18
Flame Spells - Deals damage with a chance of x% that the target will burn
Water Spells - Deals damage and makes target to miss for a short time
Poison Spells - Deals over time damage.
Ice Spells - Makes damage + slows movement or hold them on one place.
Holy Spells - Heals or deals half of the heal in damage + deals same damage as heal to undead units (zombies).
Dark Spells - Makes little damage and with each cast on the same target it increases damage
Wind Spells - Makes damage and reduce armor.
Earth Spells - Makes damage and stuns .
Lightning Spells - Makes AOE damage.

Here is mine idea for unique system :
Lets say you can teach 6 skill maximum.And you will teach 4 normal skills + 2 unique system skill :}

The Unique Spell System: The passive "Chain Skills"
You have 1 free slot skill (or a passive chain skill)
Lets say you are a (warrior or tank (uses shield)) you block an attack and a skill comes on that free spot for a short time (20 seconds ?) (maybe shield bash) when you use it the skill disappears or when you use another skill it disappears again or when the 20 seconds finish the skill disappear :)

Another version The Active "Chain Skills"
lets say you are a warrior you use active skill then another skill on his place then another and so ... on :) when you use it the skill disappears or when you use another skill it disappears again or when the 20 seconds finish the skill disappear or when you finish the chain.

In another words when you active a skill it triggers another skill to activate.

I saw this system in a game but never saw it in a wc3 map so this is why it is unique :}

Sorry for double post

Level 9
wow very nice ideas, I never thought of adding that in a WC3 map. I'm pretty sure I can get something pretty close to what you said above. I'm currently working for items for creeps from lvs 6-15. Map has about 170 items atm counting the refine grades.

Level 9
Feel free to I really need item ideas. Did you check the demo map though? Although its a lot diff from the current version , it's something to look at.

Level 18
Well i was think of something
Weapons and their bonus :p
*Sword - Normal damage;Normal Attack
*Blade - Lower Damage then Sword;Faster then Sword + a bonus chance to parry
*Dagger - Lowest Damage;Fastest Attack + a bonus chance to critical.
*2h Hammer - Normal Damage ;Normal attack (for 2h) a chance to bash
*2h sword - Big Damage ; Slow attack
*2h Axe/Spear - Bigger Damage then Hammer ; Little faster attack then 2h sword but slower attack speed then 2h hammer; cleaving attack (AOE)

This is my idea :p

Level 9
Lol.... I already have something similar..

These are 2 hands and their single hand counter part for people who wants average attack and average def or high attack and low def.

dual hand swords vs one hand blade
dual axes vs one hand hammer
2 hand staff vs 1 hand wand (staff give int/magic damage but no physical damage bonus while wand give average magic damage + physical attack bonus)
2 hand claws vs 1 hand dagger

each of those pairs above will have similar bonuses or minuses the different between the 2 will be bonus attack damage.

All abilities will have weapon requirements.. for example you cannot cast heal with a hammer, it can only be done using a staff or a wand. Cannot blade storm unless with dual swords or blades. Some abilities will have very specific weapon requirements while most will require only a 2 hand and its one hand counter part.

There are 9 lvs of refinement per armor set and per weapon. As refinement lv increase the fail rate will increase and higher chance of equipment getting destroyed if failed. Bonuses increase per refinement lv will increase by % not a static value.

As for the parry, block system you mentioned above I'll use triggered passives for those.

Level 9
The storage char has a 2 page inventory which a player can add more pages to through drops. There's an item call New Bag that everytime you pick up the storage char get an additional page. If you mean equipment system, I'm working on one atm. Basically you can have 1 weap, 1 left hand, 1 armor set ( boots, gloves, helmet, body armor is a set) and any amount of accessories. For armor sets, items like boots, helmet, gloves and body armor are all material type items, they will only be usable after combining all 4 into an armor set.

Level 9
Keep in mind that only the items on the hero will save the storage char is just for temporary storage since I got no idea how to mod the save system which was written in JASS.

GOT

GOT

Level 1
Hey, i got your message and im interested to work on thsi map. Would you like me to post here or email?

My ideas(just filling in the ??? for now):
Flame Spells - average damage over time (duration and amount varies depending on the hero's stats and the ability)
Water Spells - Makes the target misses for a short duration (duration varies on the ability and hero's stats)
Poison Spells - Minor damage and slowed movement rate over an infinite amount of time until cured.
Ice Spells - Slowed attack rate and movement rate for a duration (duration and effect will depend on the ability and hero's stats)
Holy Spells - Remove Buffs and Heals over a short period of time ( Effects and CD increases as the spell lv increase)
Dark Spells - Stun for a period of time/Chance of missing atatcks( Effects and damage increase as spell lv increase)
Wind Spells - ???
Earth Spells - Slow downs (Damage and rate increase as spell lv increase)
Lightning Spells - Multi-damage ( Targets and damage increase as spell increases)

Level 9
You should post here so people can contribute to your ideas.. I'm working on the Items still atm. I need someone who can edit the jass code for load/save system so it can save abilities that the hero has before I can start working on the spells.

Status
Not open for further replies.