• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

RTS Race Development (Units)

Best Starter Units

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Alright, now that I have the playing strategies out of the way I need some voting done on what kind of units to include in the final product. Here I will post several different batches of units, each are starting units, like the Archer/Huntress, the Footman/Rifleman, etc.

I can't decide which are the greatest, so I will be looking for you to help me out.

Level 18
You described couple of units that fit with very different races.

I would say "take them all" until you give more details about your race (philosophy, appearance, units, strategies...).

For now:
Footman/Archer = Basical Empire
Brute/Spearthrower = Bandit Tribe
Crossbowman (Btw there are shooting very slowly)/Golem = Strange association
Conscript/Rock Thrower = Hobbits :p
Minion/Summoner = Spellcaster race

Level 19
The Crossbowman/Golem is actually associated with a more dwarven-type race.

The Brute/Spear-Thrower combo has been replaced with Mercenary/Spear-Thrower and will be included in the first released Barbarian race. There hasn't been much in ways of development for the Imperial faction, as every time I begin to make them I get bored very quickly -.-. But the Barbarians are fun to play and I've even made a diverse combat system for the map.

Level 18
I still think your poll remains strange. How can we vote for a set of starting units if we dont even know the race is it for. You should add more explainations in the first post.

EDIT: I meant I can't help you without more details.

Level 14
The starting units are heavily dependant on the theme of the race.

The reason you keep getting these types of responses is that the race matters for the starting unit strats for flavor and aesthetic reasons.
E.g.: In melee games I don't play Orc because I don't care for brute-force melee strats. Instead I play UD and focus on the all-to-common fiends/frosties or mass fiends strategies. I prefer to draw units into traps over running strong units into traps and hope to overpower anyway.

Examples for your game:
~The summoner/minion would likely be seen with a race designed to overwhelm with lots of little things
~The Conscript/Slingers/Archers would likely be seen with a town/city-based race
~Brutes would be seen with a melee-themed race

Did I make any sense to you?

//\\0o//\\

Level 18
... the race doesn't matter, their purpose will remain the same whether they're green or blue, etc.

As the kind spider just said it's a matter of flavor and easthetic. I can't tell you to use the "protector / archer" set for a undead race.

Level 19
The starting units are heavily dependant on the theme of the race.

The reason you keep getting these types of responses is that the race matters for the starting unit strats for flavor and aesthetic reasons.
E.g.: In melee games I don't play Orc because I don't care for brute-force melee strats. Instead I play UD and focus on the all-to-common fiends/frosties or mass fiends strategies. I prefer to draw units into traps over running strong units into traps and hope to overpower anyway.

Examples for your game:
~The summoner/minion would likely be seen with a race designed to overwhelm with lots of little things
~The Conscript/Slingers/Archers would likely be seen with a town/city-based race
~Brutes would be seen with a melee-themed race

Did I make any sense to you?

//\\0o//\\

The units will obviously be fit with the greatest corresponding race... be realistic, do you really think I would put the Conscript/Slinger into an undead format?

Status
Not open for further replies.