• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MOBA/RTS Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello, as someone who played alot of rts and moba games i was thinking what if there is a game between the 2, after all moba games started as game mod in rts.
how we gonna mix this type of games ?

my idea is to make heroes and everyone of them have his own "mini race" that synergise with him,
for example if you pick Uther he will represent the silverhand, he will be a high paladin and his units will be something like paladins (footman or horseman) and priests ..., Uther and his army will focus more on healing, tanking and buffing his or allies units, but the damge of this race will be weaker than others.

the map will be 5v5 (or 3v3 not sure) and every team will try to build a strong team with assassin healer and tank (or maybe different things) like in hearoes of the storm.

i don't want the players to focus on building ... so i think i will try to make build the buildings like barrack or towers take long time but i will give them high hp so we don't see towers rush ....
also farming gold and wood will take longer time so the mines and trees don't end from the map.

for balance the map will be mirror and huge, i want to have map objective in the center
because making destroying enemy base as win condition will make the game take long time and become boring, but destroying enemies base can be played as strategy,
the map will have water so races like naga or maybe kul'tirans can be strong in the water and for sure mountains so a race with strong air units will be good in the mountains.

creeps are sure to lvl up the heroes but i am still not sure if they should drop items and i am also nt sure if they should respawn or not.

i am still thinking about the map objective but maybe i will try something like the final mission in TFT where you need to capture 4/5 shrines then capture the objective to win.

this is some of the things i have for this map idea, i know it will be very hard to make and it need so much time, so that why before i start i came here to ask your opinion about it ?

Level 14
WC3 melee is already a mid point between moba and RTS.(high micro hero action and rts elements like countering the opponent units with yours)
So the question is "how far you want to push it one way or the other"
The more powerful items you add the more you push it in the moba direction and adding tomes push it past the point of the rts part being irrelevant.
Likewise for hero power raise over time: if the hero gains too much power over time it makes the units eventually become obsolete.
The need for things to manage outside of the hero push away from moba and makes it get closer to regular rtses so increasing the importance of units and bases makes the map closer to a regular rts.

So do you want it more rts like than WC3 or more moba like than WC3?
(ps: high end items in regular WC3 are already powerful enough to make armies nearly irrelevant but access to them is ultra scarce and can not be relied onto unlike many maps where items can just be bough as long as you have high enough amounts of gold)
Furthermore if heroes raise in power when killing units it can make having units detrimental so make the heroes gain low amounts of xp from player units or make the level grind not excessively critical to the gamemode(Like make a level 1 hero and a bunch of starting units able to start destroying towers and the opponent base at a correct speed).

Last edited:
Level 1
WC3 melee is already a mid point between moba and RTS.(high micro hero action and rts elements like countering the opponent units with yours)
So the question is "how far you want to push it one way or the other"

Thank you for the reply, you have made very good point here, i was thinking about making more than 10 lvls with big abilities upgrades ... but like you said the more i focus on heroes the less powerful the units will become.

my vision is i want to have army created from 5 leaders, but making the leaders very strong in the end game the units will become almost usless.

the only way to avoid that is to make most of the heroes powers are in powering up thier units like aura that give bonus in the army powers, vision, CC ... and i must try to avoid strong aoe damge abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.