• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

RTS Race Development (Discuss)

Your favorite playing style

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Hey, I'm working on a map with a style that emulates those of classical RTS games, such as Age of Mythology, Battle Realms, and Warlords Battlecry. I am fully capable of making the map on my own as far as terrain, units, triggering, etc. goes, but I could use some help on knowing how the races should be constructed in a way that people would like to use them. So, after some thought I decided to post this thread in the Idea Factory to learn a little bit about how people play these games and how they like their races to be constructed.
Firstly, I've set up a poll to learn how different people play RTS games (what your playing styles typically are).

You should answer the poll depending on the strategy you use 60% of the time or more.
If one playing style doesn't dominate most matches you play in games, then choose your personal favorite.

Any comments on how you like to play are also appreciated.

I will post more polls in the future about different units you'd like to see, etc.

But right now I want all comments to be specifically about how you play RTS games.

EDIT: Post #1,700, lets hope it leads to great feedback :D

Level 17
I like to constantly harass my opposition - I don't like to sit and my base and wait for nightfall to come. ^_^
My strategy tends to be harass when you have a minimal of 2-5 units (depending on game and race).

If it's entirely multiplayer I prefer to finish it quickly, so I can it finish before I go somewhere (as no saving allowed) or play more matches. I hate if there comes to stalemates. There should be anti-rush measures, but defence shouldn't be that strong anymore on late game. A match shouldn't last more than half of an hour.

On singleplayer or co-op I don't mind long games, especially if it's a campaign.

Level 19
If it's entirely multiplayer I prefer to finish it quickly, so I can it finish before I go somewhere (as no saving allowed) or play more matches. I hate if there comes to stalemates. There should be anti-rush measures, but defence shouldn't be that strong anymore on late game. A match shouldn't last more than half of an hour.

On singleplayer or co-op I don't mind long games, especially if it's a campaign.

Exactly the kind of feedback I'd hoped to receive. I completely agree with you on the timing portion. I'm leaning to limiting the amount of defenses you can have, and making the existing ones very powerful, and hard to tech up to. Thanks, and please vote on the poll.

Level 14
Hard to choose. It really depends on the particular game. For Wc3:TFT, I only play RT 4v4 and will do whatever the entire team will do. I'm not a fan of hero rushing (I play UD strictly, so...) but can rush with a hero and 3-4 units. I don't turtle (except in singleplayer) and thus discourage allowing defenses capable of repeling a max-power army. I don't care for super-complex strategies, but want more than 4-5 'standard' options.

Hopefully my feedback is of some use to you, I'm not really sure what to vote, since I have no base preference for playing RTS.

//\\oo//\\

Level 18
I like to have a large choice among the strategies. Not always depending on the race I choose.

I think there should be:
Balanced choice of different archetypical strategies among the races and
Balanced choice of different and interesting strategies among one single race.

I voted "Balanced".

Of course I don't like Turtling, but if there are balanced strategies there should be a Siege strategy that overwhelm Turtling.

But in the other hand, Turtling at start can discourage early rushes/harass.

I like to have this kind of differences and counters you have to know that can make all the difference between you and your opponent.

Level 8
i'm a tech-er, , i harass the workers early in the game to get advantage and prevent my enemy to create an early army because teching-up early causes me to have few units to defend in the start..

Level 13
non-stop harassing is fun in RTS so ya
though its strong units for those types of races take a while to build but if you live to that point the game gets better

I'm going with a mix though
Harass with A little Rush in it

Level 19
I like to have a large choice among the strategies. Not always depending on the race I choose.

I think there should be:
Balanced choice of different archetypical strategies among the races and
Balanced choice of different and interesting strategies among one single race.

I voted "Balanced".

Of course I don't like Turtling, but if there are balanced strategies there should be a Siege strategy that overwhelm Turtling.

But in the other hand, Turtling at start can discourage early rushes/harass.

I like to have this kind of differences and counters you have to know that can make all the difference between you and your opponent.

Thoughtful.
---------------------------
Thank you all for your help.

My first race shall have Turtling properties and some rushing units as well. I'll see how it turns out.

Level 18
I would be glad to help for anything (Tech-tree, unit type, unit ability, ressource system, strategy and how to implement it in a race...).

I would also be glad to know the type/kind/background/techtree of the race you are going to do.

If you can provide us such informations of course :)

EDIT:
Turtles ftw!
Im'a break your turtle with my Siege Engine :O

Last edited:
Level 19
Well, these guys have a giant ultimate unit that is based off the early concept of the Thor from SC2, meaning it will take workers to build it, and it will take some time. In that aspect, I guess it'll be like an experimental unit in SupCom, as it will take in least 5-6 minutes to complete and will be able to destroy buildings quite quickly and be almost indestructible when complete. But, it will cost a s***-ton of resources and will alert all other players both when you begin and end production of it, making it even harder to get one completed (much like super powers in the CnC series).

Level 19
So its like a moving Wonder from AoEII?

Hm... not exactly. It really works well with a mass archer strategy from what I'm gathering from the alpha tests. I'm going to remove either it or the flaming arrows upgrade from my archers which makes it so they can deal damage to buildings as well as units. Maybe the Siege Titan would work better for another race.

Level 19
Heh that reminds me wood elf tactics in wbc3, where fully upgraded archers could outrange towers and kill them quite fast with fire damage as well many units, although resistant enemy can cause some trouble. However that required a lot of resources and time.

I'm looking for WBC3 for inspiration :). Except I'm not using heroes, so it's a little bit more like AoE. But yes that's exactly what I'm looking for--long-ranged archers with flaming arrows will be able to counter a turtling strategy.

Barbarians will be bunkered down in their tribal cities, with massive turrets shooting out javelins at incoming Imperial infantry, and they will realize even their champions are having trouble breaking the defense--then they will tech up their archers and take down their defenses from afar, maybe even using long-range siege weapons and make-shift hovercraft to scout out the enemy.

EDIT:
From this study, I will be making a complex race, a harass race, and a balanced race. Each race will have its own turtling capabilities, as I see no point in making a completely turtle-based faction (over-powered).

I will now be making another poll which will describe unique units and will have you vote on the ones you think are the best.

Here's the link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/idea-factory-462/rts-race-development-units-188194/

Status
Not open for further replies.