• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A differant type of warhammer 40k RTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I have started this map awile ago and stoped production of it but i think ill start working on it again.

Idea a warhammer 40k rts game with differant gameplay than just a build base build army game.

I want to have it so that what is realy going on is there is a space fleet (represented by starting location) that is in orbit. This is basicaly your swis army knife of the game. You can call in drop pods, use orbital strikes, scan areas, also reposition it, calling more fleets in and engaging other fleets in pointles ability attacks (maby latter atual fleet engadements with units and things that just an idea) thats what the fleets do.

what you also want to be doing is capturing actual bases with your droped in infanty so you can progres in building better types of men and tanks ect. Certain bases have wepons like earthshakers and gun turrets also when ever you capture a base you gain more income

The ground battles would be massive and sort of fast because units have realistic heath and damages. with "fleets" ovehead using orbital strikes to hit enemy strong points.

So far whats in the alpha is one playable race with most terrian done i have Imperial guard as the one race for now and the next will be tyranids and so on for as manny i can fit into the game.

This is a ruff over view of it so tell me what you think.:wink:

Last edited:
Level 4
TYRANID. DUDE. I'LL HELP YOU. I like 40k too =D

Cept I will call you simply NID. Because Space Marines, such as I, call Tyranids, Nids.

And yeah whatever I'll help you in some shape or form...

The only problem I see with your 'swiss army knife' fleety part is that, not all races have space fleets in 40k, and all but one dont have drop pods.

OTHERWISE. Gud Idea. Hi Five.

Level 4
TO me this map would ahve better posibilities if made with Starcraft II map editor..
Wc3 isnta sci-fi game

Hmmmm...You are right in a way. Warcraft 3 itself is definately not sci-fi, but Warcraft 3's editor can make it anything you want (nearly lol)

Level 9
Hmmmm...You are right in a way. Warcraft 3 itself is definately not sci-fi, but Warcraft 3's editor can make it anything you want (nearly lol)

That hasn't stopped from actually making a sci-fi futuristic map. However, I do believe that waiting for SCII would be better for a project of this scale.

I can see this being interesting. However, would you make space battles more interesting? Such as boarding enemy vessels, and the like. It seems sort of silly that two fleets travel to the same planet, firing at each other but not really taking damage, and then drop all the troops to the planet, where the actual fighting is done. Both fronts should be... interesting enough to keep the map special.

Level 4
I think that making fleets for each race would be a bit unbalanced, Eldar craftworlds have really high damaging guns [at least 3 imperial sector fleets can be shot down by 1 craftworld]

Also i feel a little bad for Orks, since they have REALLY bad technology [the ones that they didn't steal i might add].

And, i think you should do a space combat system like Space Command and Bloody Pirates, where you have a "hero" fleet with items that are ships, that stack, and when you engage you get a number of ships equal to the item charge, but the number of ships will not be shown to opponents.

That hasn't stopped from actually making a sci-fi futuristic map. However, I do believe that waiting for SCII would be better for a project of this scale./QUOTE]
That hasn't stopped anyone from making 1st-person shooter maps, for example, its not like when SC2 comes out WC3 RoC/TFT will be dead, heck people still play Diablo. I would say, make the map, we don't have many good 40K maps. [40kTD = :thumbs_up: 40K AoS = :thumbs_down:]

Level 6
i think keeping the fleets out of sight is an ok idea (maybey you could have a small window where you can see the action.)

the point here is cleerly the land engagement.

one thing to note. many people dont appreciate the scale of space combat. 2 fleets orbiting the same planet would have an imense task locating each other (due to the fact that you can hide on the other side of the planet.p.s. some idiot is going to mention scanners and say that they aren't effected by Lighn of Sight. this is beccause they don't realise that even futuristic scanners can not and would not be able to go through a few miles of rock.)

what you could do is have an orbital support manager unit, which calls in strikes using it's mana, and it's mana cap is determined by the size of your fleet. battles reduce your fleet and therefore your mana cap.

fleet battles could work like, you have 2 sections frontline and reserve. as long as fleets are in frontline they can be attacked but reserve can't. however only units in reserve give support.

p.s. you would have to make support unique for each unit ie space marines get drop pods, imperial guard get orbital bombardment etc

Level 3
Hmm

i realy didnt think any1 would ever respond lol hmm well i like your ideas ive been having this map on hold lately cause working on other projects but

several of your ideas is making me think of scraping my older ideas.

Also about waiting for starcraft I was thinking about that as well but i just feel like doing my best with war3

The only problem I see with your 'swiss army knife' fleety part is that, not all races have space fleets in 40k, and all but one dont have drop pods.

Such as?

Just a note to you all i play bfg so i know alot about warhammer 40k universe space fleets

Last edited:
Level 3
What happened to your other WH4k map? The one you made with Spoofone?
Eh What about it? it failed because no1 realy tested it other than testing one race by them selvs

i do think that the map was fun/ballenced but no1 realy liked it Ive no idea why and they would just go like 3/5 then they wouldnt say a GOOD SUGESTION

>< and spoof is to lazy to work on it still because no1 cares for it.

Level 3
Huh

wait you prefer taking a long time to tec up? we tryed to make the game so armys could be built fast and tecing up would be fast as well for non paiceint gamers

Level 12
I like having my army be sent out right away, but teching all the while as a background.
I am pacient, and I know a lot of patient people who are going to wait when playing a new map.
Unless it's DotA, people are ok with waiting most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.