• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[POLL] Modeling Contest #25 - Ascension

[b]This Poll is a Special, Multi-Poll![/b]

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

modeling.png
contest.png

number.png
2.png
5.png

poll.png

I just want to say, as this is my first time hosting a contest; thank you all for an enjoyable experience. I've seen some incredible effort expended over the last 7+ weeks, and I want to encourage each of you (especially those who were unable to finish) to keep it up!

Excellent work, all involved. May the best entry win!

PLEASE NOTE: Read the Rules before Posting! This isn't your regular poll.

Watch out for that, guys; Quoting others & including their vote will result in an Accidental Vote!

entries.png

Either download the entries one-by-one here, or download the "Showcase.w3x" I have whipped up that allows for easy testing of all the models.

A) PvT.Toma
B) PROXY
C) SuPa-
D) AnemicRoyalty (A.R.)
E) Freddyk
F) Vermillion Edict
G) Deolrin
H) WhiteDeath

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Pic4.jpg

A) PvT.Toma (Infernal Aestus)
Decepticons, TERRORIZE!

B) PROXY (Forest Troll Clan Queen)
Queen of Clans

C) SuPa- (Undead Hero Abomination)
Lick-i-tung!

D) AnemicRoyalty (A.R.) (Elven High Illusionist)
She whips her Hair back and forth

Pic5.jpg

Pic6.jpg

Pic7.jpg

Pic8.jpg

E) Freddyk (Infernal Wheeled Warrior)
Some Minor Adjustments

F) Vermillion Edict (Skeleton Warlord)
Throne of Skulls

G) Deolrin (Night Elven Sylvan Sentinel)
Sylvan Remix

H) WhiteDeath (Wolf Lord)
Lord of the Wolves

Contest Theme: Ascension

Contestants are to take a Unit from Warcraft III and create a model depicting an alternative Heroic version of it. See below for examples.

Heroes are the heart of Warcraft III. As Champions to each faction, they stand as examples of greatness to which other units aspire. As Paragons of each faction, they symbolize the pinnacle of achievement in their assorted fields. One of Wc3 Modding's greatest and most exciting triumphs comes in the creation of a powerful new Hero, whether conceptually or artistically.

You the Modeller have the opportunity to craft such a Legend into being.

In the style of Blizzard itself, each entrants will take a Unit(s), and craft a model depicting it in Heroic fashion. Entrants will be challenged to creatively interpret various aspects of their chosen Unit in order to create unique, useful, and "Wc3-Fitting" Heroes.

Original Posts:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2210857-post9.html
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2211678-post16.html
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2212729-post26.html

Kyrbi0 said:
Heroes are cool, iconic, and symbolize the epitome of whatever they are. One of the coolest "race-building tools" I use is making a hero-version of various units. Really makes things interesting in regards to creativity and what elements of that unit should be "turned up to 11", as it were.

My Idea:
Have a "Hero Version of Existing Unit" contest. Contestants can choose any unit from anywhere in Melee TFT (i.e. not just the existing four melee factions, but any creep unit or what-not).

So, it's like we will make the Sorceress have stronger version of "Slow", or I named it "Slow Motion"...? and stuff like that? I like it...
(Yeah, let's name this theme "Hero-ic unit", any disagrees?)
More or less, though the more creativity the better. Since it's all visual, you'd basically take some aspect of the Sorceress & max it out, "hero-ize" her. Perhaps "Archmaiden", or "Mistress of Magic", or considering her regular spells (Slow, Invisibility, Polymorph), maybe "Illusionist".
With that last one, then, you'd have this whole "eyes" motif to use in her armor/cape/staff/whatever. Maybe since everything has a staff, she could dual-wield wands.
-EDIT-
Oooh, actually, going with "Illusionist", you could do a sweet "phantom-of-the-opera"-style half-mask (or one of those theater "happy/sad" masks) that she wears or holds in one hand. Then her spells involve the mask somehow.

Maybe change things up and make a "Battle Mage Maiden", with a spiky chained Magic whip, or an Eye-mace.

I dunno, get crazy!

I think in TFT there is one of these "Promoted-Unit", that is Garithos (knight-based heroes, just add some detail in models and give "paladin" attribute...
And for me, Lord Garithos himself is a knight...)
Exactly. He's like a hero-version of the Human Knight, with a twist of "self-serving jerk"/"bandit warlord". Black armor, wings on head, stubble, and replace the lance/sword with a huge double-bladed (enchanted) axe. New name: "Grand Marshal". Solid.

~~~

Wish I could post pictures, but examples might be a hero-version of:
- the Goblin Sappers (like a "Bombardier" bombs, flamethrower, shield, burnt face, twitchy, crazed expression, etc)
- the Troll Witch Doctor (like a "Headshrinker"; big cauldron, shrunken heads, potions, herbal remedies, crotchety grump, etc)
- the Dwarf Rifleman (OH WAIT, ALREADY DONE)
- the Tauren Spirit Walker (like a "Thaumaturge"; wizened burly Tauren caster, aligned with spirits, focused on resurrection, etc)
- the Goblin Merchant! (like a "Tradeprince" or "Baron"; arrogant royalty, lush furs & capes, crown/top hat, monocle, expensive gilt staff... riding in a shrouded palanquin, or surrounded by adoring fans, etc)

Imagination runs wild. Plenty of other good options.

(But there's something I want to ask, do we make another hero that is using an unit's model, OR we make another hero by upgrading the base unit's ability and stuff?)

Not exactly. It's more like a conceptual successor-type deal.
Considering this is a modelling contest, it's not really a matter of what kind of spells or where they'd be used, so much as how the HERO version is related to the UNIT version. However, I see it much more conceptual than literal, e.g.:

Buncha pictures here.

Anyway, I think you get what I'm saying. It need not be the same exact thing, or even the same gender, or even the same race. It certainly doesn't need the same weapons, or the same type of attack/defense (i.e. Knight + Holy - Horse = Paladin. Necromancer + True Undead + Frost = Lich). But the Lich is obviously a Hero-tier Necromancer, and likewise with the rest.

View attachment 127925
View attachment 127926View attachment 127927View attachment 127928View attachment 127929

Alliance Examples
Horde ExamplesScourge ExamplesSentinels ExamplesTavern Examples

Good luck!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

Logistic Rules
  • Free Market - Everybody is allowed and encouraged to enter, as long as they follow the rules.
  • Solitary - One entry per user.
  • Under Construction - You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours. Also builds interest!
  • Originality - Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Impartiality - Judges may not participate.
  • Timeline - Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Submission - The file in the appropriate format.
    • In-Game Screenshot - An in-game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • FINAL - The word "Final", so it is easy to Search for, indicating Finality.

Artistic Rules

• Mesh - Feel free to use either use/modify In-Game Geosets ("Geomerging") or create your own Custom models, as well as any mixture of the two.
    Animations - Feel free to either use/modify In-Game Animations or create your own Custom animations, as well as any mixture of the two.
  • Textures - Feel free to use/modify either In-Game textures or Custom textures, as well as any mixture of the two. If you use a Custom texture, it has to be at least 90% freehand.
  • Loco-Motion - Must contain the following animations, and more if possible:
    • Stand
    • Attack
    • Spell
    • Walk
    • Death
    • Dissipate
    • Portrait Animations (whether it's for a camera or a separate portrait model)
  • Pest Exterminator - Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Rule-Breaker - No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • Punitive Measures - If a submission does not follow the model submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • Themes Ahoy - All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.

-------------------------------------------------

judges.png

If you would like to judge the contest simply make a post in this thread stating so.
You need to be a user who is knowledgeable in the process of
modeling, animating, UV wrapping, and creating particles; and who is known to judge objectively.

1. Judge 1
BlinkBoy
2. Judge 2
Frankster
3. Judge 3
HappyCockroach

-------------------------------------------------

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

The Judge's score shall be taken out of 50 points for the following categories:

MESH
The geometry of the model, the wire-frame that gives your model a physical form and silhouette. Does the shape look clean or deformed? Are all ends capped, are there any stray faces, etc? Clean, distinctive meshes graded highly; deformed or incomplete meshes graded poorly.10 pts

ANIMATIONS
The movement of your model. The animations give your model life, character, a personality. Are these animations smooth or choppy; organic or puppet-like? Do the animations deform or clip parts of the mesh? Smooth, life-like anims graded highly; choppy or lifeless anims graded poorly.10 pts

TEXTURE/UV WRAP
The skin, or texture of a model, expresses many important aspects of the character. Is the texture well made; is it blurry, does it have a pleasant color scheme, does it have detail, etc? Or, if In-Game textures were used, how well was it wrapped? Are there parts that are clipped, misaligned or stretched? Clean, effective textures graded highly; cluttered or haphazard textures graded poorly.10 pts

MECHANICS
50% of the "Does it fit in Wc3" criteria (Mechanically). Does this model work in-game in all mechanical respects? Placed next to other War3 heroes, does it fit? I.e. is it visible when imported, is the texture path-name hard to import, are chunks of the mesh loose and flying around, is the texture the correct proportion, is the model a relatively manageable size (in KBs), do all the animations play properly in-game, do all the particles/ribbon emitters work, does it have footsteps, death sounds, portrait model/camera, life-bar in the right place, and so on. Proper mechanics graded highly; incomplete or messed-up mechanics graded poorly.5 pts

EFFECTS
The ol' "razzle-dazzle". Special effects add a factor of 'shock and awe'. Particle emitters, ribbon emitters, and sometimes geometry (such as shockwave planes or 3d-debris) are part of the animation process, and every Hero needs cool SFX to give them character. Meaningful, aesthetic effects graded highly; tasteless or un-fitting effects graded poorly.5 pts

CREATIVITY
The other 50% of the "Does it fit in Wc3" criteria (Aesthetically), and the most Subjective of criteria for Judges. Overall, the essence of your model: Is this a creative idea? Is it unique, innovative, or clever? Or, perhaps if it has been done before, how has the creator 'made it his own'? What has he added to make it special, or different from the ones that have come before him? Thoughtful and creative innovation graded highly; insufficient OR over-done & unfitting creativity graded poorly.10 pts
70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• This is a Multi-Vote Poll. Each of you will have 2 Votes to give out; it is your choice whether to give both to one or one each to two separate entries.
  • Aside from the Disclaimer on cheating at the bottom, if your vote is not backed up reasonably by an explanation, it can be discounted. Doesn't have to be big, but tell us why you voted the way you did.[/b]
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.

disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs.

The Poll will continue for One Month from the time of it's posting (i.e. 12-03-2013 @ 1:15AM).

Many thanks go out to the ever-busy Ralle for coding up this alternative Poll.

~~~

CONTEST

Attachments

• Showcase.w3x
    1.5 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Level 25
[vote E, H]
E:Freddyk just created his account for this one. It got Director's Cut and it deserves having that place. We also need more tavern heroes.
H:Very inspiring model. I asked for an orc idea from you Kyrbi0, right? This is the reason. Good use of textures and nicely done particle emmiters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 23
[vote E, H]

E.) Freddyk : I simply love the birth animation and even more the mesh.
H.) WhiteDeath : Even though it uses the mainstream rexxar animations (imo) with, as I recall, some custom animations, the mesh and the SFXs added is great and the use of textures is amazing. :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
^Thanks for that, HappyCockroch; mah bad.

Alright! Thanks Chen and Hera for getting us started off on the right foot; I knew people would catch on. :p Please feel free to vote akin to this (although being more liberal with your reasons "why" or "why not" never hurt anyone, and might just help the creators... :p).

Personally, I'm really struggling with this one; we just had so many good entries. In my mind, though, my biggest obstacle is determining whether I want to vote for "most well-made" in terms of strictly the model (kinda what you'd expect in a "Modeling Contest")... Or on the other hand, voting for the best model that fits in Wc3 (since the "best" models", in my opinion, were too good; too detailed). Even then, if I go for the latter, do I go for the "best" Wc3-fitting one that is the most useful for me? Or do I go for the "best" Wc3-fitting one that is better in general!?

Decisions, decisions.

~~~

Judges (BlinkBoy, Frankster, and HappyCockroach), feel free to begin Judging (I think) so that we can wrap this up relatively quickly! I know life is busy, so let us know.

Good luck, everypony!

Level 51
[vote D, H]

Anemic Royalits entry is just awesome, it has really typical hero features and can be identified as one. Not to speak of art design and art qualitiy level.

WhiteDeath has proven here, who to make a model in true wc3 style which looks damn badass too. Incredible use of textures, animation editing and creating as well as SFX.

-----

Wish you had used another terrain texture for the entries then that one though ;_;

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Wish you had used another terrain texture for the entries then that one though ;_;
Yeah, and I'm sorry about that one. Honestly, though, I might've had trouble with any terrain with your model... It's a bit hunched, moreso than any other, so the "in-game" viewpoint I chose for standardization-al purposes really didn't suit her as well as some of the others. :<

Also green.

Level 11
[Vote E, H]
E: i love this model, it a really cool thing and, in addition to that, it also looks like the regular infernal machines transformed
H: I gave it an automatic thumps up, it is cool looking, its just awesome. If this doesn't win, im gunna personally give this guy some rep

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I'm sorry, but when was this type of poll invented? I mean, like, wasn't it easier to make a standard poll, and apply the rules? This is kinda confusing, and not clear to see vote(r)s :(
Well, while you were away, we've had some contests... And for the last several contests, I have been (somewhat aggressively) campaigning for a better method of administering & polling these contests; both to increase voter accountability and ultimately to better our polls. A lot of these discussions have been had in the Techtree, Hero, & Modelling Contest threads if you wanna peruse 'em.

Anyway, I took this opportunity of "heading" a Contest to try out a new method of Polling that will hopefully do the aforementioned. Got Ralle's help to create it (he seemed to think it'd be easier to make a new, separate voting system rather than retrofit the existing one... Apparently regular Polls can't have votes removed from it & still have the "vote-ee" able to vote again correctly... Also, it's either 1-vote-Polls or "multi-vote-polls", no way to dictate a certain number of votes to use (i.e. 2 or 3)), and he gave instructions on how to see the Voting here (hopefully I won't get in trouble for posting that).

So yeah. There's probably more to the story, but I'm up too late & it's easier to just read it. Hope that helps! : )

Level 16
[vote H, G]
Imo, this is the best contest so far. I LOVE every model, I wish I could vote for them all (seriously).
H: It is the first model I fell in love with since the beginning of the contest, and I especially like how WhiteDeath used particle weapons instead of regular weapons, he deserves to win because of the originality.
G: It is one of the models which got my attention by its execution. I'm not a modeler, which gives me the liberty to vote only by keeping to the theme criteria. Deolrin deserves to win cause he did what was asked of the contest, a heroified regular unit. And I also love the elven archer, so of course he gets one of my votes.

I enjoyed watching the contest, I think everyone did, thanks to all of you people who worked on these models, you truly are an inspiration to noob modelers. :)

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
E - good idea, great execution, good usage of wc3 assets to make a unique model
H - best execution, even though the idea isnt so original. the model isnt what i'd call unique, but it doesnt stop it from being a piece of eye candy

E-there's some originality there
H-an interesting design
Thank you both for you votes, and thank you GhostThruster for your reasoning (deepstrasz, lookin' at you...). However, you both have made a small mistake in posting your vote & thus the Poll has not counted them. I don't think you need to delete & re-post, though; try just Editing your vote-post to conform, first.

I just really like that execution of that abomination. Awesome model and texture and the animations were nice aswell.

Just to make sure, are you intending that Both of your votes/points go to Entry C? That is what voting for only one thing normally does (although the system is a bit wonky on this point; might have to make it a "double-vote" with "C" in both places).

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I tried fixing deepstrasz's vote, but I'm confused now. Does the vote have to be in the TITLE of the post? Because the majority of the people didn't vote that way. Do I need to fix every single one?
Technically no; I put that in the instructions & would prefer it, but it doesn't have to be (as it turns out, because of the way Ralle coded it. It can be in the body of the post).

Also, I would actually prefer you didn't fix every vote or even many of them; otherwise you'll be on THW all day. :p You're job is to fix "transgressive" votes that the author will not change themselves (i.e. not enough description, or voting for 3 things, or voting more than once). Ideally this is an exercise in accountability; we'll warn people to vote right, and if they don't or don't fix it, their vote will be deleted.

Speaking of which, do you have any control over it? I accidentally voted & now the "vote-count" page won't refresh to remove my acci-vote. :< :p

//EDIT

As it turns out, I had Quoted two other posters, and their vote showed up in my Quotes, which the poll counted anyway (so I voted, like, 5 times in total xD). Lol, very interesting.

Watch out for that, guys; Quoting others & including their vote will result in an Accidental Vote!

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I'm sorry, but when was this type of poll invented? I mean, like, wasn't it easier to make a standard poll, and apply the rules? This is kinda confusing, and not clear to see vote(r)s :(

It wasn't possible to get 2 points to give, if I may notice. Multipoll has no limits on votecount, and it was easier to experiment with this, than to constantly watch the poll, or code a new one.

Have I figured it out correctly, kyrbi0? :)
Sorry for not responding sooner, Ms. Lucent. Yes, you have pretty much hit the nail on the head; I wanted to try something a little different in a way that I hoped & felt would make Polls more meaningful (i.e. giving people the opportunity to do a limited Multi-Vote, and requiring them to post Reasons along with their vote).

However, in a thread I threw up in the Staff Contact, asking about Polls & how to modify/utilize them better:
Kyrbi0 said:
Basically, I was getting ready to run a poll for the recent Modeling Contest I was hosting, and I had some plans, but I was told that some of them might not work.

So my question is: is there anything that will "break" if I have improper votes deleted from the poll (i.e. calculations or somesuch)? Can the person who had their improper vote(s) removed vote again (and if not normally, can they be "re-enabled" as such)?

I have some things planned that I think will really aid in making Polls more of a power-house and less of a punch-line here at THW, so let me know what is possible & what is feasible.

Either way, thanks for taking the time to read this.
It was explained to me by Ralle that the Poll system, as it's set up now, is rather "hard-coded" (ala Blizzard)... First off, we can't restrict the number of votes (either '1' or 'all'), and secondly we couldn't delete votes (and even if we could, we couldn't re-enable the Voter to Vote again).

I suggested trying things out with a "dummy poll", and possibly fixing the coding to allow such changes, but he graciously determined it would be easier to jimmy-rig a custom system.

So he did. :p Praise be to his name. xD

So yeah. Thanks for being understanding, ya'll, and here's hoping this Poll is the start of something useful! I have long been anxious about THW's approach to Polling, and I look forward to bringing that sorry reputation out of the mud. : )

Level 4
My vote

[vote F,E]

1st vote
F) Vermillion Edict

I love the appearance of the character , everything is correct in proportion .It is highly detailed , love the aura and big axe . Seem fairly original and is my favorite entry by far.

2nd vote
E) Freddyk

I love the idea of an infernal machine based hero , there have been character similar to this one .I like the wheels and the large cannon just would like a thicker torso .Awesome

Notable mentions
This is not a vote
G) Deolrin

Love your work a much improve archer model 3rd place in my books.

[vote H]

Great animations and stays true to the theme of the contest. I liked others but this one is the most useful and fits into the concept of Ascension. Originally, Blizzard intended the Shaman to be a hero but changed it before release. You can notice how the shaman is featured on the artwork in the generic loading screen with glowing claws. Well, now he's finally here, the hero, the Wolf Lord.

Level 7
[vote C]

C - Amazing animations, and a good looking model. I especially love the ''Spell'' animation where he spurts blood from his guts. Keke~

Level 30
[vote G, G]

Because I don't have much experience in modelling, I based most of my selection of votes on aesthetics.

I love the style you've played, combined the Tree-alike units with the elves in this theme. Generally, I found this model to be one of the best executions. Even thought the wrap could use a little bit more work, it's amazing what you have done with ingame textures. Neat!
Also, the general appearance fits perfectly within the other ladder units, striking the theme in the center. And with the barkskin update (morph), I really can't think of anything to make it better. Really great thing you've made here. My regards, sir.

(And just to make it clear, both of my votes are going to Deolrin's Archer)

Level 35
[vote E, H]

Given the great entries and the work people have placed in them, I like to comment on each model as I believe that all of the contestants fully deserves it, both to hear my reasoning for not voting for their creation and to reason it in my own head. But great job from everyone, makes one want to vote more than twice (and in some ways sad to follow the contest theme) :grin:

Pvt.Toma - Infernal Aestus
I like the idea of a massive transforming robot, reminding me of the terratrone which might have been an inspiration? At any rate the transformation effect on it is what especially earns my praise, even if I dislike the second attack animation (pushing the disc seem a bit odd and the spell animation with the canon arm makes a lot more sense - when used to actually shot something). In general the disc which I know is hard to animate right, seems a bit odd, also when playing stand animations. Another problem that one has to consider when assigning that hero unit in the object editor is that several animations does not exists in the alternate mode, forcing the unit to transform back for a second to play the animation as the walking unit, and then return to the flying one. Finally I noticed that one of the stand animations will sometimes play while attacking something, which seems rather odd.
That said I do not feel it to be a hero-rized standard unit and it feels more like a huge tank unit or perhaps a hero of a new race.

PROXY - Forest Troll Clan Queen
The concept of a queen of trolls is interesting and the general troll appearance works (especially using both a skull and a severed head, even if the stick going through the latter is too thick), though I am not sure it works as a female (with the exception of the head, which is great, love the bear pelt with feathers). As for the animations I understand that you had trouble finding fitting animations and sadly it shows. She gives me the impression of a murloc more than a female troll, especially when she is running (wobbly green legs) - I do believe that the spell animation would work well to teabag someone :grin:
In regards to contest theme this also feels more like a regular unit than a hero -though I can't wait to see the female troll race - I imagine something like Amazons.

Supa- - Undead Hero Abomination
First of; damn that stomach is fascinatingly disgusting, with layers of skin inside it creating an even more graphic gore detail than the old one - arghh.
This unit that I in some ways really like and in other ways have mixed feelings about. The abomination in itself has seen different variations already and that makes it a tough job to create a hero from it. The original unit has mixture of undead and goofiness about it, that even with neat detail of the tongue doesn't feel present in this version.
It's a more serious version with sharper details and some well done animations. However the hero part about it is not evident - for instance I personally would have liked to see it with both arms, given that the original has 3 arms (marking it as truly an abomination (this version is also one, but a different kind)). I like that the chains see more use, but then the mouth is overlooked such that it cannot eat unlike the original.
I don't really know if I am explaining my sentiment properly - So I'll try to say it in a short term; this is a variation and upgrade of the original, like an armor upgraded version, but it is not like I picture a hero derived from the original abomination. Perhaps it's more my own consideration that it would enhance existing features, instead of creating a new unit of the same theme. It comes down to personal preference on this one, and I should mention that this would get a potential third vote if possible.

AnemicRoyalty - Elven High Illusionist
A very Warcraft like unit. Again one of those units that does not quite fit the hero bill. She is the kind of unit I would like to build a bunch of and go kill something with. However I can't see her as a hero - likely the limited amount of animations also places her at a disadvantage. She feels like a Warcraft unit, perfectly fitting in that aspect, except the hair. But I can't see the hero-rized part of it - more like a superwoman of it if that makes any sense - Super as in superman kinda - but not a hero. She is not connected with the original other than floating, gender and tiara. Combined with what I imagine to be one of the most impractical hair lengths in history (Rapunzel might be the exception) and I don't really see her as that kick ass upgrade, more like again a different unit not linked to the sorceress - due to differences in body, hair and dress code. She comes off as more "evil" and I have a fairly easy time seeing her summon demons.

Freddyk - Infernal Wheeled Warrior
Magnificent birth animation and a tactical move. By placing the original unit as part of the birth animation, it links the two, and when by keeping parts of the original and expanding upon it in a dramatic fashion it manages to create this hero feeling I am looking for. Clearly showing the original in the design, yet powerful and "hero" like.
My main concern about the model is in regards the animations, where some of them (spell slam for instance) is slightly too slow making it miss the timing when casting spells. Another is that I can't really make up my mind if I like that the wheels are animated to be less mechanic and more organic, following his movements and coming of as softer. Finally I had hoped to see the canon which is so clearly visible used in more than one animation and a slightly faster death animation.
However this is getting one of my votes.

Vermillion Edict - Skeleton Warlord
I feel some lack of originality in this one, making me think of other models with similar theme and design (King Leoric comes to mind), which is a shame since I find some of the best fitting spell animations on this model. That said he also suffers from the problem of not being linked directly to any standard unit and the standard animations is not as well done as the others. He runs like he is tip-toeing with his legs far too wide and I feel a missed opportunity for some powerful two handed attacks, instead of the more lazy one handed swings he currently uses.
The unit design itself, with texture is solid and featuring some decent details. He does also feel like a hero, just not a hero version of a standard unit.

Deolrin - Night Elven Sylvan Sentinel
One of the best, yet also one of the most disappointing units in relation to the contest theme. The reason is simple; it does a good job of making a hero version of the archer and it does it with a solid model. The problem is that it does something that Blizzard already did, just giving it a slightly different appearance - and that it is intentional is clear from the name - however it was to make a hero version of standard unit, not make an alternate unit of an already existing hero unit. Kind of defeats the whole point of the contest. So while I truly do enjoy it as a Warcraft III looking model, I don't see it as model that should be part of this contest. Also I feel that it is lacking in the animations, as the spell slam is a very very specialized animation and the same with the bark skin, making it a less versatile unit that could really use a general spell animation as well.

WhiteDeath - Wolf Lord
I really enjoy this unit, even if I see clear reminders of Wolverine in him :smile: It is clearly an orc and one can see how if the wolf pelt was removed it would almost return to being a grunt. It might have gone a little overboard with the pelt in regards to the original model, but thanks to face/portrait it saves itself and reminds me of Grom Hellscream back in the day. The SFX (especially the wolf head are great) and even with a host of standard animations they all work very well together - only complain would be that it has also gone slightly overboard with the sfx's making each attack appear very visible and powerful, where I believe that allowing some attacks without the magic shimmering claws would have made them have a larger impact (much like the Blademasters attack slam) - still with that selection of animations and with a fitting timing, I can't complain too much.
This one gets my other vote.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So yea, I should really point out that even those I am giving a lot of critique are well made models and I am reviewing them primarily in regards to the contest, not the model itself. All will be great additions to the resources on Hive.

I tested with Magos (For all), ingame, both the ShowCase map and one I made for testing myself (For all) and the 3D viewer (those that I could).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
You see this, everyone? This is what you all should be shooting for. Good on ya, Red Baron.

That being said, a few points:
AnemicRoyalty - Elven High Illusionist
... She is not connected with the original other than floating, gender and tiara....

Vermillion Edict - Skeleton Warlord
... That said he also suffers from the problem of not being linked directly to any standard unit ... He does also feel like a hero, just not a hero version of a standard unit.

Deolrin - Night Elven Sylvan Sentinel
One of the best, yet also one of the most disappointing units in relation to the contest theme. The reason is simple; it does a good job of making a hero version of the archer and it does it with a solid model. The problem is that it does something that Blizzard already did, just giving it a slightly different appearance - and that it is intentional is clear from the name - however it was to make a hero version of standard unit, not make an alternate unit of an already existing hero unit. Kind of defeats the whole point of the contest. So while I truly do enjoy it as a Warcraft III looking model, I don't see it as model that should be part of this contest. ...

I'm grateful that someone took the time to try and absorb what I wanted to get across with the Contest's Theme... But I feel you've missed the mark a bit on a few of this (quoted above). Mainly how closely you expect the Hero model to recreate the original... I think it's safe to say, with all the examples I gave, that the Hero model could be quite different and still be considered "inspired" from a Unit (i.e. the KotG wasn't even female, but I argued it was a "hero dryad"... the Paladin & Garithos were both inspired from the Knight... the Gargoyle was related to the Dreadlord... the Lich didn't share nearly any physical characteristics with the Necromancer; instead it was an "ideological evolution", if you will... etc).

So AnemicRoyalty's hero-version of the Sorceress was more than close enough, while VermillionEdict's Skeleton Warlord was definitely a good tie in with the Skeleton Warrior.

Finally, for Deolrin... Well, I had hoped it wouldn't come to this, but you must realize that with all the examples I gave, there was bound to be some overlap. Regardless of the fact that Blizzard already made a "hero-version of the Archer" in both the PotM & Shandris, I argue that making a third isn't out of place in this contest. And even if it was, Deolrin went to the effort to sort of remix a bit of Dryad into her (druid/keeper-of-the-trees type stuff) to really help solidify the difference. In my mind, I have no problem seeing all 3 of them together in a map, because they're each so different. But Deolrin's is definitely related to a unit (either Archer or Dryad, whichever one wants to pick). :p

~~~

Anyway, sorry if that seemed a bit 'anal-retentive'. I really truly appreciated your thoughtful & thought-provoking vote, and I'm sure all the contestants greatly appreciate the work you put into analyzing each entry regardless of your favorites. You're the kind of person this Poll was made for. : )

Level 35
Anyway, sorry if that seemed a bit 'anal-retentive'. I really truly appreciated your thoughtful & thought-provoking vote, and I'm sure all the contestants greatly appreciate the work you put into analyzing each entry regardless of your favorites. You're the kind of person this Poll was made for. : )

Haha no worries - I like the "anal-retentive" part (I am easily that myself sometimes). I love a good discussion and it is perfectly natural to consider it the way you do. And it gives me a chance to further elaborate on my reasoning, as I might easily have given a wrong impression.

What I argue is that those units that can be considered "hero'ized" version are closely resembling their former in feeling. Like Garithos; he still feels like a knight, just a very bad-ass one. I consider the Paladin to be if anything an upgraded footman, but he isn't really a hero'ized standard unit; he is a hero nothing more.
A better example of what I have in mind would be the blood elf lieutenant or the Royal Naga.
The Lich I agree with, given the natural link between necromancer and lich -> made even better by the fact that we see the transformation as part of the campaign -> aspect missing from others that are far from the original.

So yea, in many ways AnemicRoyalty's hero is close to the original, however when you look at her I wouldn't be able to say with certainty which unit she was a hero version off. Because the feeling of the unit has changed. As mentioned I see her more as a demoness than a sorceress - main reason for that might easily be the hair and the spandex outfit.
So actually I don't really expect them to be close - freddyk's would be a good example as it is vastly different, but the feeling of the original is kept. Another good example would be Deolrin's as the feeling of the original elf archer is kept (though it sadly gets no points for it). Which brings me to his model :smile: Yea, a third version of it would be brilliant - however a third variation of the same hero type, doesn't really fit the bill. He made an outstanding model, but the feeling of the model functions and is exactly similar in proportion as Sylvanas. Perhaps instead of having it constantly crouch, make her stand up straight, add an extra quiver, perhaps even remove the cape - in that fashion.

I guess I should comment on the last as well, Vermillion Edict's. I agree, it is a skeleton - but the rambling, fragile feeling of the skeleton warrior is missing - consider the giant skeleton - in many ways that feels like the natural upgrade of the normal one - however not really hero like. Thus my suggestion would be to have his armor/clothing way more tattered, showing of the fact that he is a skeleton all the way (which is tough to spot, even with the good job he did on the arms). It should show that this is the original who just threw on an armor and grabbed a big axe - because sadly this feels more like King Leoric as in a hero that have died and turned undead, than a normal skeleton gone hero.

Which is also why it is tough for me to truly explain it, since when the word: Ascension: A standard normal unit turned hero - I expect to see the unit and immediately know: Ah that is a footman who found a new plate armor or that is a priest who grew his beard and changed his staff - along the lines of saying I can recognize the original behind the new one.

Much like say Thrall, first grunt - then bigger, then on a wolf. I can see him all the way through - he keeps the same feeling. Like Illidan or Arthas - recognizable even with major upgrades/demonization/undeadness.

And those that come closest to keeping the feel of the original unit would be Deolrin, Freddyk, Supa- - with a close contender in WhiteDeath. Though for heroes those I voted for gets the win from personal preference and existing type.

Last edited:
Level 48
Well... It's true that it is a bit too similar to the Sylvanas model, but... I mean, as a model editor, there aren't that many good base models and animations to build a unique model-edit from.

And, well, I tried to make it as different as possible. I thought the bark-arm, unique face texture(no other unit in WC3 has it, because it's from the campaign screen), and the cape is split in two parts, similar to the paladin, as well.

Level 35
And, well, I tried to make it as different as possible. I thought the bark-arm, unique face texture(no other unit in WC3 has it, because it's from the campaign screen), and the cape is split in two parts, similar to the paladin, as well.

Yea, and I love it for that - hence why I said it was a shame that the contest theme was as it was (by my understanding of it :grin:) - though still the lack of other spell animations might (given this alternate contest with whatever entries) have been an issue.

Level 26
Well... It's true that it is a bit too similar to the Sylvanas model, but... I mean, as a model editor, there aren't that many good base models and animations to build a unique model-edit from.

Btw, I tested your model ingame, how come there isn't an alternate portrait?
If there is one, it didn't show up on the testmap you can download from this thread.

Level 7
[vote C, E]

E) Great execution of reforming a mechanical, siege unit into a living creature! Looks a bit more like some "titan" unit than a hero (Age of Mythology anyone?), but still could pass a hero just as well.
C) Mainly due to the overall feeling - the abomination really looks much more like a hero than a unit even though it is basically the same unit with only a few improvements - and that's what this contest is about, right? ^^ I especially like the armor pieces, so simple, yet adds so much ^^

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
[vote C, H]

C - Best mesh and animations. I'd have loved to see the concept pushed a little further (eg more heads, more variety in the limbs, different weapons, etc) but this wins for me based on the outstanding quality.

H - This entry gets my vote due to the excellent SFX and (most importantly) due to how well it reads in-game. The composition (proportions, silhouette, hierarchy, colours, etc) is great; you know at a glance what this guy is all about.

I'd also like to give special mention to Freddyk's entry, which looks great and is the most consistent with other Blizzard units. The reason this missed my vote was because it had the least scratch-made work (being a blend of existing meshes and animations).

Probably too late but anywho >.>

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
AnemicRoyalty said:
Probably too late but anywho >.>
No, what're you talking... about...

Oh crud-sicles. I had no idea I put a friggin deadline. Now I feel like a supreme loser; all this harrying of people to vote meaningfully, and promises that I'll be voting... Criminy, how incredibly lame. :< Sorry entrants; I had intended to write up about each of you & stuff. I am so dumb.

~~~

Results should be up soon, everyone. No word yet from any judges, so keep them in your thoughts prayers private-message inboxes. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.