• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Zerglings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Is it just me or do Zerglings seem to be abit downplayed compared to SC1... as they dont seem to me to be nearly as strong or do as much damage...:thumbs_down:

Level 4
aye that they are, however i just seem to think that zerglings were just a little more uber in starcraft 1... especially against things like photon canons or such, and they seem to melt before marines now compared to sc1, but i guess thats why god created banelings :p

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Lings strengths are surrounding units, high dps and being numerous and cheap.

Their weaknesses are being low durability, high density (huge splash damage) and cannon fodder (high losses garunteed).

They can be used for hitting and running (especially the AI) because at harder difficulty levels they will be far to consumed trying to kill you that you can rush in and kill their economy.

Level 12
Zerglings are great for super cheap hit and runs. Easy to mass and very simple to use, you can harass an enemy army and kill off high-value units, or atleast weaken them very easily.

Their only real downfall comes from the fact that they become cannon fodder late game and aren't very usefull unless your going to send 200 supply worth of them in, in which case you'll probably have about 20-30 left from 400 against a small army of high tier troops.

On top of that, they're harder to micro in larger numbers, meaning taking out a single target is harder because you've got a large amount all trying to get to 1 unit, and it seems to take longer in SC2 for the attack AI to notice that that unit can't get to that unit to attack.

Level 4
hhmm yea i guess, i just remember that in zerglings werent as useless high tier in starcraft one when it came to some attacks, but still their pretty good for hit and run hehe <3 them for that... and their so cute

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
except that there are no defilers to support them in SC2

Unless blizzard breaks its tradition of adding extra units to melee in expansions (which would be sort of sad), I would not be suprized if zerg get something that fufils that role in the expansions. Or atleast something that can be used in such a role.

Until then, I heard that lings are pretty good against thors and even siege tanks (speedlings and unsieged tanks) for the reasons I mentioned so they actually are useful still.

Do remember that they get the additional attack rate mutation later on so they actually gain usability.

Level 4
mmm yes that does make sense... but something similar may be added to fulfill that role as was said previously... im not sure what it could be but blizzard will probalbly add in new units to heart of the swarm and legacy of the void.

Level 4
I seriously doubt that they will touch the competitive play.

It took them YEARS to get what they have now.

yea, that is true but i would be saddened if no new content multiplayer wise was released. but also HotS comes out 2012, LotV comes out 2014. predicted releases and im not going to be betting they might come out abit earlier (come on, this is blizzard) so 2 years or if nothing for HotS 4 years to manage to balance even 1 new unit per race (although they seem to customarily add 2) they could probalbly manage it...

Level 1
so 2 years or if nothing for HotS 4 years to manage to balance even 1 new unit per race (although they seem to customarily add 2) they could probalbly manage it...

I wont really say max 4 years for HotS. Think about that they had to program the whole game, now they just in rough have to (maybe) model new units, make new skins, balance them, probably come with some updates to the GE and make the maps in it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
They are finishing D3, and by the fact people have been issued with beta codes (at blizcon) and that they have the basis for all classes up, I suspect a beta somewhere next year with a possible release perhapse the same year.

They said that although the game is mostly complete, it is still missing a lot of unseen content (obviously they would not emphisise what is missing with their videos) so it still has some way to go.

Level 22
Another 120$ for SC2 means I will absolutely not pay any more money on games any time soon if I had to buy D3. So my formula is simple: D3 at some private server or no D3 at all, idc if I will play D3 or not. I also like original servers. But I will have enough real life things to use money on, D3+SC2 that's wayy too much money on games with the prices they put nowadays. That's why I take a game and play it for years, im no fan of using 1000$ on games that I play for 2 months then throw away, not to say skill zero.

Anyway Zerglings are needed or zerg would be gg early if someone thinks he's so smart to skip lings.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Zerglings are definitely the best and easiest way to screw up a player's economy. I get the feeling in SC1 there were less units fighting, and, in those situations, your Zerglings have an advantage. Zerglings have a collision that's still high considering their surround-and-kill purposes, so when there are lots of units, they will not work well. A few Zerglings will decimate a few Stalkers, but a large number of Zerglings will lose to a large number of Stalkers, for example.
Using them as meat-shields is also not very viable because, due to their speed, they will separate from the rest of the army too quickly and die before they can serve as a meat-shield for anything.

Level 40
There were usually more units in SC1, not less, since the games often lasted longer. Zerglings have the highest DPS:Cost ratio in the game, and thus I would hardly complain that they are not always all attacking. You use them for damage while using Ultralisks to tank.

That said, I'd say that Mutalisks, Hellions, etc are better at harassment than Zerglings although Zerglings are indeed pretty good at it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Another 120$ for SC2 means I will absolutely not pay any more money on games any time soon if I had to buy D3.
As they are expansions, I would imagine blizzard selling them at less than 60$ each (50-55 maybe) and offering a multi pack of WoL and HoS at a further discount to enchourage more players. Do also keep in mind that you are still paying 40$ per console game, ultimatly what you spend it on is what you think will be the most fun.

Level 22
i second that, I was playing Diablo 1 in the 90s and Diablo 2 LoD right after i stopped SC and during Warcraft 3 beta so 2000-2001. WoW - bleh. Diablo ftw, i've just played for years Diablo 2 like I've done with SC, war3 isnt my 1st blizz game. But i'll need my money for other things, so I have to choose and i choose SC2 :)

Level 10
i second that, I was playing Diablo 1 in the 90s and Diablo 2 LoD right after i stopped SC and during Warcraft 3 beta so 2000-2001. WoW - bleh. Diablo ftw, i've just played for years Diablo 2 like I've done with SC, war3 isnt my 1st blizz game. But i'll need my money for other things, so I have to choose and i choose SC2 :)

During the downtime of Blizzcon some friends and I leveled fresh chars all the way to hell :thumbs_up: (we didn't sleep at all, basically)

My only complaint with 'lings is the wings.

Wtf blizzard, wings? seriously?

I understand it is visually easy to notice, and it MAYBE makes sense, but seriously.

Level 2
Well, I think lings are just a great ZvT unit. They counter almost everything terran can make if you can make lings for the same price =) Also they are an ideal counter attack unit.

Level 40
Well, I think lings are just a great ZvT unit. They counter almost everything terran can make if you can make lings for the same price =) Also they are an ideal counter attack unit.
I wouldn't say they counter most Terran units let alone "almost everything". Hellions beat them, Marines beat them, Reapers beat them, Siege Tanks are pretty good against them, Thors are good against them in decent numbers, and obviously air is fine against them.

Level 2
I wouldn't say they counter most Terran units let alone "almost everything". Hellions beat them, Marines beat them, Reapers beat them, Siege Tanks are pretty good against them, Thors are good against them in decent numbers, and obviously air is fine against them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6u6b8H9kmk&feature=channel

Player's skill > race. There are more vis out there but i cant rmb where they are. But for the zerglings question. this vid covers it pretty well

Status
Not open for further replies.