• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Your Stance on the DOTA Debates

Is it worth debating DOTA in any form?

• Yes, there is reason to it.

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • No, it is pointless.

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • I don't care, DOTA ROCKS!

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I don't care, DOTA SUCKS!

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Note: Actual discussion of DOTA should at no time enter this thread. Ever.

This is the meta debate. Is it just me, or is arguing over why / how much DOTA rocks / sucks / is pointless / is awesome / is a cat dressed like a pig, the dumbest, most pointless debate on earth?

Seriously, it comes down to two factors: Not everyone likes the same things so why debate over such a topic, and no one ever leaves the debate with a change in attitude, view, or reasoning. (and if they do, its almost exclusively superficial and benign.) So why debate it? Is the debate as pointless and stupid as i think it is? Is the meta-debate any less pointless and stupid?

Level 6
I propose thus:

That a meta debate on debating is the dumbest, most pointless debate on earth.

Seriously, it comes down to two factors: Not everyone likes the same things, so why not debate over such a topic? No one ever leaves the debate with an immediate change in attitude, view or reasoning (when they do, it is almost exclusively a culmination of previous discussions, or a clarification of a thought a person had that allows them to see something in a new way). So why meta debate? Is debating the notion of debating as pointless and stupid as I think it is? Is this post debating the merits of debating a meta debate any less pointless and stupid?

Are we going to enter a cyclical discussion on the merits of debating a debate ad infinitum? I sure hope so!

Last edited:
Level 8
People have different taste in games and defending Dota or trying to tell the other person that dota sucks by interfering on his stance will most of the time, not change the views of that person. We should close the Stance on Dota since the poll confirms now that there is no real reason to debate over it unlike what a moderator said.

Level 1
honestly, i've played dota a few times, not bad at all...

but arguing again, again and again makes absolutely no sense, people on battle.net who say they're 'experts' at wc3 just because they host dota and kick players who they dont like or who take a while to dl a 'super-new' version (like me, damn verizon wireless, ah well...) so to wrap things up, those who like dota so much, think of what happens, it turns peoples brains into mush if you ask me, oh and to go on (ramble,ramble,ramble) as SantaBla said:

People have different taste in games and defending Dota or trying to tell the other person that dota sucks by interfering on his stance will most of the time, not change the views of that person. We should close the Stance on Dota since the poll confirms now that there is no real reason to debate over it unlike what a moderator said.

so I hope this ends the DotA debate somehow...

Level 3
People have different taste in games and defending Dota or trying to tell the other person that dota sucks by interfering on his stance will most of the time....

You are right, we don't have the right to tell other people what to think...
But we can discuss about the horrible dota community and It's imbalances and other things that are more modder-like themes...
BTW, the what do you think about dota, gives people a great opportunity to spam :p

Level 14
You are right, we don't have the right to tell other people what to think...
But we can discuss about the horrible dota community and It's imbalances and other things that are more modder-like themes...
BTW, the what do you think about dota, gives people a great opportunity to spam :p
dota community is perfectly fine

game is very balanced

Level 6
they're pointless, imo. Dota is what it is, and arguing about a game within a game, simply put, is redundant. Its popular because of its style. some people like it, some people dont. Its like debating "do you like wc3?" on an open gaming forum. sure, some people will say "Wc3 is fun," while others will say its not simply because its not their style. What's there to debate?

Status
Not open for further replies.