• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

...Have we met before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
Hello.

As many of you are already aware, my name is Hakeem.

For those of you that aren't, that is, in fact, my name as given to me by my parents.

For those of you that are...

...I've been around. Various communities and forums, chatrooms and IRCs (chatrooms that don't suck). I've been around and I'm back. Officially, some level of regularity, back, here on Hive. For one reason.

Hive has the most comprehensive debate framework I've ever encountered. We have a whole forum for it!!! Really now. Everywhere else, everywhere I've seen, sucks, by comparison. LessWrong, for example, despite being intelligent, is full of shit:
I understand that you are saying that you have naturally of your own random meanderings through life come to be about as far advanced as the demiurge of the site and community that believes in AI, but the idea that you are who you say and can write an AI is impossible because nobody can write an AI and furthermore you are dumb.
I'm paraphrasing, naturally. They of course encode every line they speak with jaded toxic non-standard custom-defined community-centric verbiology that comes off as entirely pretentious to anyone observing it. It is as it appears.

MSPA is okay, but way too tribal. And I don't mean the HomeStuck community, I mean the MSPA forums, specifically. If you don't understand the difference, that is your own fault. (Except that it's not a fault, just a lack of information on your part.) Overall they're pretty cool and can debate okay, but it's nothing impressive. Hussie has a way of attracting a specific type of person what with that whole Problem Sleuth... Thing? I'm not quite sure what to call it. But yeah I'm a pretty decent fan of Andrew Hussie. I'd say it has a high degree of coding guy–art guy mixing, so that gives credence to my "you need both" philosophy from my perspective. Still though, there's a missing element that I haven't identified at press time that eludes that community.

Tulpa.info. Hooooooooh boy tulpa.info. Don't get me started on tulpa.info. But yeah basically you want to bypass the entire community and go directly to the #Tulpa IRC channel on Rizon. All other parts of the community... Yeah. Don't get me started on tulpa.info. (They're moderately reasonable but for some reason are completely incompetent at debate.)

dA... dA, like any large conglomerated million user site, is going to vary considerably. I've had some good debates there, but you really have to earn them.

cat -v is beyond debate. Seriously. You don't argue with cat -v. You argue with the raw force of the crushing reality that is reality itself, when you stop sugar coating everything and accept that everything just really really sucks. You're free to try, of course, but I'm not going to just link the IRC channel directly. If you can't find it yourself, there's no point trying to attend. Overall one of the most amazing communities I know, but really, take your shitty gradeschool debate tactics elsewhere, they have real trolling to deal with.

Bronies same as furries.

Furries same as roleplaying communities.

RP = Table top games.

TTG = Endless data sheets.

Previous four listed community categories rank high in fetish content.

(You'd be surprised how lenient NSFW places can be. Okay not really. What's surprising is how open they are. No, that's obvious too. Hmm... "They make great friends"? No, no... That pretty much goes without saying too...)

Hive, for all its flaws and drama, (which all result from Ralle using anyone's judgment other than his own ;) has either enough of the right stuff, or some combination of the right things, that it makes one of the healthiest and most diversely opinionated debate community I've ever found so far. Maybe it's the RTS genre. Maybe it's the modding. Maybe it's the coder–artist mix inherent to modding. Maybe it's the immaturity. Maybe it's the maturity. Of course it has to be both working together. But I don't need to know the how or why, (unless that was the topic of discussion, I mean) all that matters is that it is.

The best.
Debate community.
I know.

So it's good to be back.

Level 25
I think it's to do with the range and amount of people on here.

We have people from all around the world. Everyone can speak English - but only a few are verbose (use big words like "verbose"), most only have a limited understanding. Overall, this forces everyone to use a "common" form of English, which is very direct and to-the-point.

It's a relatively small community, so everyone's voice is heard.

Being a modding community, everyone has at least some creativity and ability solve problems. More technically-minded people (as opposed to attention-whoring jerks) results in debate that is focused on the core of the argument instead of another poster's mother.

Level 27
Well, I'm not not a bot. :V

Diversity does go a long way to explaining the debate dynamic here... Still, many places have a similar type of diversity. The question then becomes, why is Hive so much more diverse than the other places I've been able to find?

Status
Not open for further replies.