• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

DotA: The Big Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
DotA. A huge hit.

But why?

DotA was immense on its arrival, and is still a dominating game now, comprising approximately 40%+ of all Warcraft III Battle.net custom games (source: personal observation). It has a huge league of hardcore players who pride themselves on their skill.

But DotA has become so huge that in many games, you are kicked for not having the map, playing first time or any number of other stupid reasons. DotA has become not a game, but a obsession.

Unsurprisingly, DotA has a league of haters, such as most games. But DotA's dominance has made it a hot topic. So, that brings us to the big question:

What do you think?

I personally think that DotA has gone too far. he ridiculous number of supporters have shrouded the game in a fog of deception. Beneath that fog, DotA is only an average game (source: me) which should only receive a tiny fraction of the support it gets. So why is it so highly reagrded? This fact eludes me. However, I believe that it is mainly supported in tis way as people who play DotA have it available constantly and thus do not need to try other games which may be better (unlike, say, Parasite, which is only available once in a while). However, this may be wildly wrong.

Once, again, the question.

What do you think?

(And I'm not posting a poll, I want you to explain why you like/dislike it :angry:)

Level 2
Alright, I'm gonna try one more time.

So you guys are all like "yo dota stole skills". I used to hate DotA for that too. But then I realised, this won't effect me in the long run. The fact is that... DotA is competitive. I notice a lot of you guys play pubs, and I'd probably kill myself playing so badly/playing with others who are bad 24/7. Still, DotA's in ESWC. It can be compared to Starcraft, CS, WoW, etc etc. Sure it didn't take as much "pure skill" to create the map, but stuff like crazy riffs don't beat Radiohead's composition. Sometimes artists have to look at a big picture and not just worry about skill put into a project.

Now you can argue that DotA doesn't take skill. Now you're just bullshitting yourself and I highly doubt there is anything me or anyone could say to you to change your minds. You guys are always raving about how DotA players are so droned, yet the fact is the "map-making community" guys are a minority and from my point of view, are the brainwashed ones. And I'm usually pretty open-minded. You can summarize DotA into "attack cast spells then repeat", and I can summarize CS into "shoot people" and soccer into "kick a ball". You're just generalizing stuff into words, and there's a whole different reality behind that

Status
Not open for further replies.