• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

You say years... But how many?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Years are a long time, specially if your waiting for something really really good. We talking like 1 year? 2? 3?

Level 36
Until Wc3:WoW is 100% done with both continents (Lordaeron and Kalimdor)? I'm guessing it'll take about two years... if we keep at it and don't abandon it for SC2 or some other game(s).

~Craka_J

If you abandon this, I will personally come to your house and make you eat your wife in front of her parents.

Seriously, though, don't abandon this project D:

Level 25
Its not that the expansion ruined WoW, its just that Blizzard made things such as classes and gear even more inbalanced. That's what mainly made me angry. After Blizzard noticed this, they tried to nerf a couple classes and create godly gear and that's when the game became soley PvE over PvP. People disagree with this because Blizzard fixed a little of the PvP, but not enough.

~Craka_J

Level 12
Actually, you could prob switch to SC2 and just make copies of WC3 models... Omg Horde VS Terrans!!!

Level 25
If only it were that easy...

Wc3:WoW uses JASS as trigger coding, first of all. Starcraft 2 uses C++. That being said, JASS becomes totally useless and the GUI triggers from WC3 to Starcraft 2 would not work at all. It'd be a hard transfer which would go horribly wrong.

As for the files such as models and skins, SC2 will be using different model formats and skin formats. That pretty much makes all of our current models and skins useless unless if a model/texture converter is released soon.

Last but not least, the project is called "Warcraft III : World of Warcraft". Not "Starcraft II : World of Warcraft".

~Craka_J

Level 25
C++ is not that far off from JAVA / C#

Are you on drugs? They are totally different coding languages and do totally different things! JASS is an internal trigger coding language which issues things to function properly. While on the other hand, C++/C# is what is made to program the game itself. A good example for me to provide is like this:

C++ is what programs things in the game's common knowlege pretty much. It is used to set game values and in this case is used to assist the JASS coding language. JASS is an 'easy' (Or at least easier) programming language which Blizzard employees developed themselves to make the programming of the game easier and more user-friendly. Since JASS was made specially for WC3 and the C++ coding is what assists it, it reads the JASS code quickly and responds faster than GUI triggers since GUI isn't necessarily pure direct coding like JASS is.

I'm suprised that Starcraft II is allowing C++ triggering language now. This might mean that people can modify the game a lot more and better than JASS could with Warcraft III, by far! So for the C++ programmers, the game will be a treat.

Warcraft III wasn't made so Blizzard Entertainment could begin an MMORPG. Not right away even after the release of Reign of Chaos at least. However, Warcraft III made a lot of money and the Game Designers and the dev team leaders believed that the new ideas for an MMORPG based on the Warcraft III universe would be a good idea; evidently, it sure was!

No idea what guy eating his wife you mean. I'm getting a hunch you were going for a perverted approach, lol.

WoW on WC3 would definitely revive the Warcraft III Modding Communities. Such a project would inspire many and would probably keep Warcraft alive for at least another two-three years, possibly more if the developers on it kept improving it and adding on cooler stuff to it. This was something I personally wanted to complete WC3:WoW for, but since there was no fast progression on it for a couple weeks at a time, I've come to the conclusion that the project will never be FINISHED unless if we got a bigger development team of dedicated, commited, skilled, and patient modders for Wc3:WoW. Too much time was lost to inexcusable events and as the progrect progresses more and more, people tend to become more and more hostile and demanding towards I and the team.

I handled all of the pressure pretty well for over two or three years, but there's too much disappointment from our fans(And I mean since before I quit) and I think that making the project, spending hours, days, months, even years of work on this is totally pointless now. My five reasons are listed below:
  • The project was being made for Warcraft III players whom could not afford/won't afford WoW's monthly fees and others who may've justed wanted to experience WoW recreated in an RTS engine. These people whom we've been making this for are showing lack of appreciation by insulting us and other offensness towards I and the team. What's the point of doing all of this for them?
  • The project is far from 100% completion and a lot of our members either work really slow or are no longer active or even keeping in-touch with me and the team on MSN and the forums. It'll take forever to complete this project to 100% so what's the point of putting so much effort for nothing or for something that will eventually become nothing?
  • Believe it or not, but people are trying to steal files from the beta and from our website/forum database. When these people are caught, they are permanently banned from several websites/forums, however I cannot risk having our property stolen to some immature amateur map/mod maker and then make the files even more open to the public to take. Security for our database is weakening and the project will start going straight down after our files are stolen. I can't deal with checking dozens of sites and then some, just so I can check that our project is safe from theives. Its too much pressure and takes up a lot of my time. I spend hours looking around, even in foreign websites, and check for stolen WC3:WoW files, and I'm sick of it now. Time to stop.
  • Time isn't something I can afford like I used to. I've been very busy with personal things in my life, one of the things is work. A lot of the stuff in my life now isn't easily avoidable like I used to avoid them in the past since now its more important than it was. These new things in life has caused me to be drawn from Warcraft III in general and even my own computer! This means my activity even on the forums and on MSN is occassional or at least is becoming occassional. A very big no-no when you're the leader of a project and in charge of answering questions, organizing the team and plans, moderating forums, moderating website, and trying to keep the beta testers updated. So, for the sake of the project, I decided to leave the project all together to save me a ton of stress and personal time. It would probably better if I just transfered my leadership to another more responsible person, but I can't find anyone who is up to par with what this project really needs and I'm not too big on demoting myself. :p
  • Last but not least, I got bored from playing and modding Warcraft III. I don't know exactly why. I've seemed to love the game for years, but ever since I bought the Playstation 3 and started playing Unreal Tournament III, Call of Duty 4, and Motor Storm, I've lost a lot of interest in most old games that I've been playing for a while. This isn't a very good reason why I should leave, but it is a real reason and a reason why many people leave modding and WC3 all together.

I'm sure if there are more reasons why I am quitting and why I should, but these are the main ones.

And for the last time, the project is not cancelled! It is simply On Hold until I finally choose a new leader/heir to the leadership of Wc3:WoW to lead the project to completion. I'll try to find someone quick, but I'll take my time at the same time to make a more efficient choice. Please do not urge or rush me, for it will only frustrate me.

~Craka_J

Level 34
That's a bit too large of an area. Ahh well, I am disappointed that wc may never be told again in game form, but I'm glad they stop planning to make more WoW expansions.

Level 34
Yeah. They haven't announced it yet, but they said an MMO is coming. I also heard (although did not read) that it will cost no money. This points towards DiabloIII. This is really Off-Topic though.

Status
Not open for further replies.