• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Project BETA? Months? Years? Centuries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
It is certainly taking forever to accomplish, but I believe that if Yixx stays on the team and continues to work as well as he is now continuously, then I believe that we may be able to do some Alpha testing. Alpha testing is restricted only to developers. If the mod is playable enough, we'll allow the Closed BETA testers to venture into the mod in search of any issues. Hopefully we can fix all the bugs shortly after that and finish up adding some more features and have a chance to release version 2.0 publicly.

I am unsure how long this may take, but if things go as planned, a couple months ought to do it. If the trigger work is good enough, I might just release the campaign with some areas not reterrained accurately entirely yet. But hopefully I have enough time to get the terrain portion done before we decide to release.

Closed BETA testers will be play-testing an incomplete version of Wc3:WoW, so areas will be unfinished or not redone when they get it. Though some areas are already redone, such as Orgrimmar.

Level 5
Hi Craka_J,

It seems the old problems keep reappearing along with the project's progress, I guess? People come and go (project members, I mean), and you are still there to keep this project alive.. keep up the good work.

Anyway, I'd like to remind you that "no project's perfect". A suggestion for you, avoid remaking and re-terraining maps that you already have, it'll save much time. There's no point remaking the maps again and again, if none of the players have any chance to see your maps and play in it.

And also, why make it a closed beta not open or public beta? public beta will help you much more than closed beta, especially in the project's progress. And also, in the worst situation, at least, this wc3:wow will have a legacy (even an unfinished campaign) instead of just gone as time pass by.

Level 25
Hi Craka_J,

It seems the old problems keep reappearing along with the project's progress, I guess? People come and go (project members, I mean), and you are still there to keep this project alive.. keep up the good work.

Anyway, I'd like to remind you that "no project's perfect". A suggestion for you, avoid remaking and re-terraining maps that you already have, it'll save much time. There's no point remaking the maps again and again, if none of the players have any chance to see your maps and play in it.

And also, why make it a closed beta not open or public beta? public beta will help you much more than closed beta, especially in the project's progress. And also, in the worst situation, at least, this wc3:wow will have a legacy (even an unfinished campaign) instead of just gone as time pass by.
Oh wow, did not expect a post from you! :grin:

Very good advice. I guess in some ways I am a perfectionist and in this case, perfectionism is a bad thing. Therefore, I do agree that I shouldn't keep remaking and remaking and remaking until it's perfect or near perfection. It's a nasty habit of mine, mainly because I'd like to get it done enough to the point the first time where I won't even have to go back to make corrections.

But as far as a closed and open BETA, I agree and I disagree. I agree because we need to shut a lot of people up who say it will never be released and need to get it to the community as fast as we can - whether it's complete or not. But I also disagree with just releasing the campaign in a very early stage. It's not exactly that fun at the moment, hence why I created an early change-log for version 2.0. It is merely a first milestone I'd like to have the Wc3:WoW Team achieve before a public release, however, it seems these milestones take forever to get accomplished.

That being said, I am undecided on whether we'll meet all the listed standards in the change-log or if we'll release early, like you are suggesting. Nevertheless, I am very happy to hear back from you Beantony and to see you're still active - or at least somewhat active - on the Hive Workshop.

Level 8
Simply, no. Sc2 WoW?! Blasphemy, WoW was loosely based on WC so that is why it works =)? + would take a lot longer possibly?

Btw "i_brg_doom" your siggy brings you to your photobucket account.

Status
Not open for further replies.