• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Yo Ho! Yo Ho! A Pirate's Life for Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I want to create a new single player RPG. As you have probably guessed, it would be about Pirates, and it would be aptly named, A Pirate's Life For Me. At this point in time, I really haven't done too much work as far as acquiring models, triggering, terraining, and what not. I wanted to see if you guys think this game is worth playing first.

The player would start out as a lawful nobody pirate, in a large seaside town, that would be much like the infamous Port Royal. The player would do quests to gain money and reputation around the town, until eventually, you could buy a ship.

Now, buying a ship opens up a whole new world of opportunities for you. The game would consist of many many maps, some would simply be expanses of sea, with sharks, enemy ships, trader ships, etc. And others would be home to large towns and ports. Some maps may be only island as well.

Of course, there would also be pirate towns, the largest based off of the also infamous Tortuga. (By the way, in case you're wondering, I'm not simply getting these names from The Pirates of the Caribbean!)

Throughout the game, the player would gain reputation as a Buccaneer, Privateer, or Out and Out Pirate. (This way, the player could choose a path and specialize.) Quests would open up as the game progressed, as would new areas, and cinematics.

Eventually, upon gaining enough reputation, the player would be able to found pirate towns and plantations, as well as create an Armada, and become a Commodore. Of course, a Commodore can't be seen in some run down cheap ship from Port Royal. No, the more money the player has, the better ship they could acquire. I would also like to try to figure out a system where upon capturing an enemy ship, the player could choose to either destroy it, claim it as their own, or add it to their Armada(Provided they're far enough in the game.)

So in a nutshell, this game is sort of like Grand Theft Auto Pirate style. I would like to keep it rather Warcraft III like though, the same races and racial traits, etc. Hell, maybe even the same factions! I think it would be rather cool to make these the very seas of the World we all know and love. Anyway, give me some feedback, and any suggestions you have. Also, if you'd like to join me in the making of this map that would be much appreciated. I could always use custom mods and music. If you have any other services you would like to provide please don't hesitate to ask. I could also use people to come up with quests and such. Thanks for reading all this!
-Bleeds

Level 2
sounds like it will be an awesome rpg, like one i played on ps2.. but ya sounds worth the try, but i dont have really any suggestions becus sounds like its goin good right now, keep it up :p

Level 2
I terrain quite a bit, it's what I like most about map making. So I think I'm a pretty good terrainer and I'm good with doodads. I too hate poor use or lack of doodads in a map. (That's the problem with a lot of maps on B.net)

Level 2
I have a map on hold that is similar in nature to this. I basically drew elements from One Piece, Battleships, and Pirates of the Caribean.

The basics of it were:

3 Factions: Imperial Navy, Traders Corperation, Red Beard Pirates. Each faction will have its own strategy, and you have different relations with each faction depending on which side you choose:
Navy:
Pirates - Hostile
Traders - Neutral

Pirates:
Navy - Hostile
Traders - Hostile
Other Pirates - Hostile

Traders:
Navy - Neutral (can make them an enemy if you do something bad)
Pirates - Hostile (can be bribed off though)

You can level up 2 things: Ship and Hero, you can get out of your ship and fight with your main hero. Your ship can be upgraded. Leveling up your ship is like leveling up your 'crew'. When you buy a new ship, part of your exp would be lost in having to get used to the new ship. Your hero's class (can choose between a few different ones) will determine a specific bonus the ship gets, that levels up with your main hero.

Items: There would be a number of items available for both the ship and the pirate. The hero can use 1/2 weapons, armor, boots, 2 accessories. Or whatever. The ship can use 2 side cannons, 1 front cannon, 1 back cannon. The ship will shoot like in battleships, however the position of your ship will determine what wep you use... like in real ship to ship combat.

Anyways, hope something in there was useful/interesting to you. Dunno if i'll ever pick up the project again, but the whole theme I think is a nice one.

Level 6
i once played a map called "battleship command" in there you fight with spaceships in the battleship style.
but instead of using the inventory for all the things you put into the ship, it uses the gamecache (or so i beleive)
that would allow you to have more than 6 objects on a ship. Alternativley you could use charges in items to determine how many of that type are onboard.

keep going with your projetc - it sounds great

- Raszul

Level 4
wow im working on a map similar to this aswell mine is called "arg real pirates" its more of a loap game tho and is still in the begining stages.

Damn this sounds like a really cool project, you should do it so on the beginning island which you are on (and other big islands aswell) there is more than just the city, there should also be like a big jungle or forrest or so which you can adventure into, not mega huge but still big areas with quests to do and other special places to visit like "the lonely pirates house" and stuff like that :)

I hope you will finnish this project - If you need a place to host the project or something like that come by clancbs.com and we could set up a forum for you and provide upload space and the such :)

Level 2
Awesome sounds good, when I get further into the project I'm gonna get more into hosting it on websites and stuff, but I'll keep you guys in mind. I just want to get some screenshots and stuff like that before it's really brought to the publics attention. By the way, if anyone at all has any mods they would like to submit for this map feel free to tell me, if I find a use for them I will use them in the game, and I will give you credit!
-Bleeds

Status
Not open for further replies.