Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Ship Ahoy RPG Development Progress

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by AbstractCreativity, Sep 3, 2009.

1. AbstractCreativity

AbstractCreativity

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    The 'Ship Ahoy! RPG' project has finally begun!

Concept:
    A multiplayer RPG where the players sail the seven seas in search of gold, pleasure and treasures... "A pirate's life for me!"
    Once the map begins, the players will choose from a selection of different pirate ships, which will be your 'character'. (Players can also switch ship type later on in the game.)

Story:
    Haven't thought of that further than this: The players are a bunch of random pirates, who sails the ocean for treasure and remarkable experiences. The enemies will probably be things like... Fishies (and other water creatures), island natives, and the Imperial Navy. ("In the navy! You can sail the seven seas!...)
    Friendly non-player creatures will be different pirate ports, black markets and travelling pirate ships.

Islands:
    We can't have a sea without islands. But we can't have a bunch of islands that are EMPTY either! So players can send a part of their ship's crew to shores in order to interact with... Well, whatever they encounter on ground. Here, the pirates will trade, search for buried treasure, solve puzzles, fight epic battles, but most important - PLUNDER AND HOARD!

RPG Aspects:
    If you were stuck with your starting boat, then this would just like every other multiplayer for WC3. And to prevent that, players will be given the ability to swap ships. This can be done in two different ways:
    1. Trade: Buy a new ship. There will be several ports and shipyards where you can spend your gold on ships, anything from the Viking Longboat of the savage norsemen, to the Gnomish Submarine!
    2. Hijack: Any ship you encounter at sea can be taken command of. Board the ship, capture the crew, and enjoy your new ship!
    There are loads of ships to choose from, and every one of them will be distinct from the others, in some kind of way. Here's a list of ships planned:

-Frigate
    -Battleship
    -Cruiser
    -Imperial Shuttle
    -Interceptor
    -Fireship
    -Galleon
    -Galley
    -Pirate "Plunderer"
    -Ghost Ship
    -Haunted "Destroyer"
    -Gnomish Steamboat
    -Gnomish Submarine
    -Viking Longboat / Drake Ship
    -Orc Catapult Cruiser
    -Orc Juggernaught
    -Elven Arrow Boat
    -Elven Volley Ship
    -Elven Ballista Shuttle
    Any ship name may be changed during the development process.

In addition, you will be able to obtain different parts for your ship, such as cannons, hulls, sails, etc...
    Allowing players to capture towns and ports might also be added, but it's still under consideration.

Screenshots
    Terrain
    All areas will most likely be changed, as they are all in a sort of... Alpha phase.
    More screenshots will be added later on, so stay tuned!

Starting Port / Island
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Viking Village
    [​IMG]

Tiny Island
    [​IMG]

"Gold Rush" Island
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Desert Isle
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tropical Island w/ Volcano
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jungle Island
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Madness" Isle
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another tiny island
    [​IMG]

Random Screenies
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  2. Aesthetics

Aesthetics

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hey AbstractCreativity, could you describe the spell you wanted me to do again? And very detailed also please.

3. AbstractCreativity

AbstractCreativity

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    The one for switching ships?
    Okay, I'll send you a very detailed PM concerning the spell.
    Soon enough.

4. theHunt_errr

theHunt_errr

Resources:
    Resources:
    My Terrain

This is my idea of a Pirate RPG terrain. I didnt add custom models yet bu this is what i got soo look at over and tell me if ya like it ^_^
    Islands (most names are the regions but here they are): Great Apes Isle of Terror (bot left+Portal), Volcano(a volcano), Isle of the Cult(Dungeon/Cave), Treasure Cove(Dungeon/Cave), Yota Isle (portal), Hota Isle (Portal), Hokly (How to say: Hawk-ly) isle (Starter island), Port Renais (Friendly), Port Codo (Unfriendly) (portal)
    # of Water falls: 2 :cry:
    # of Islands: 8 (so far) :smile:
    # of Dungeons/ portals: 6 :bored:

IDK what this is:
    :pal:----------------------:razz:----------------------:spell_breaker:
    :piru: :piru: :piru: :piru: :piru: :piru: :piru: :piru: :piru:

Attached Files:

5. Blaxor

Blaxor

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    We're currently terraining (hopefully some triggering if Aesthetics is working) :wink: If you want a more info you'll have to wait for AbstractCreativity since he has the latest map (i think) :cute:

6. Aesthetics

Aesthetics

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Greetings mortals, I have "Capture Ship" ready as AC wanted.

EDIT: Updated the spell to AC's request; now assuming it's completely stable. Map is now attached.
    GUI
    • Capture Ship
      • Events
        • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
      • Conditions
        • (Ability being cast) Equal to Capture Ship (Dummy)
        • ((Target unit of ability being cast) has buff Board Ship ) Equal to True
        • ((Owner of (Target unit of ability being cast)) Not equal to Player 1 (Red)) and ((Owner of (Target unit of ability being cast)) Not equal to Player 9 (Gray))
        • (((Owner of (Target unit of ability being cast)) controller) Not equal to User) and (((Owner of (Target unit of ability being cast)) slot status) Not equal to Is playing)
      • Actions
        • Set Capture_Ship_Chance = (Capture_Ship_Chance - ((Integer((Percentage life of (Target unit of ability being cast)))) + 10))
        • Set Capture_Ship = (Random integer number between 0 and 100)
        • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
          • If - Conditions
            • Capture_Ship Less than or equal to Capture_Ship_Chance
          • Then - Actions
            • -------- Set the Item Variables --------
            • Set Player_Items[1] = (Item carried by (Casting unit) in slot 1)
            • Set Player_Items[2] = (Item carried by (Casting unit) in slot 2)
            • Set Player_Items[3] = (Item carried by (Casting unit) in slot 3)
            • Set Player_Items[4] = (Item carried by (Casting unit) in slot 4)
            • Set Player_Items[5] = (Item carried by (Casting unit) in slot 5)
            • Set Player_Items[6] = (Item carried by (Casting unit) in slot 6)
            • -------- - --------
            • Unit - Add Inventory (Hero) to (Target unit of ability being cast)
            • Player - Add Player_Ship_Worth[(Player number of (Owner of (Casting unit)))] to (Owner of (Casting unit)) Current gold
            • Unit - Change ownership of (Target unit of ability being cast) to (Owner of (Casting unit)) and Change color
            • Unit - Remove (Casting unit) from the game
            • -------- Give the Items --------
            • Hero - Give Player_Items[1] to (Target unit of ability being cast)
            • Hero - Give Player_Items[2] to (Target unit of ability being cast)
            • Hero - Give Player_Items[3] to (Target unit of ability being cast)
            • Hero - Give Player_Items[4] to (Target unit of ability being cast)
            • Hero - Give Player_Items[5] to (Target unit of ability being cast)
            • Hero - Give Player_Items[6] to (Target unit of ability being cast)
            • -------- Now for some Eyecandy... --------
            • Set Temp_Point = (Position of (Casting unit))
            • Special Effect - Create a special effect at Temp_Point using UI\Feedback\GoldCredit\GoldCredit.mdl
            • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
            • Unit - Set life of (Target unit of ability being cast) to 100.00%
            • Unit - Set mana of (Target unit of ability being cast) to 100.00%
            • Game - Display to (All players) the text: Ship boarding succe...
            • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_Temp_Point)
          • Else - Actions
            • Game - Display to (All players) the text: |cFFFF0000Ship boar...
            • Unit - Kill (Casting unit)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  7. theHunt_errr

theHunt_errr

Resources:
    Resources:
    GJ on teh Spell Aestetics.
    Idk if anyone else is active atm but i geuss we could make the other spell: Negotiator
    ill make the basic spell if you want to make it more Professional =P

8. Aesthetics

Aesthetics

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Describe negotiator and I'll get to work.

What? :slp:

EDIT: I'm also going to try a pathetic attempt to write "Capture Ship" in vJass just for the hell of it.

EDIT #2: I tried writing "Capture Ship" in vJass, and failed miserably. I stopped at returning integers. The horror! :cry:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  9. AbstractCreativity

AbstractCreativity

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Yep, like the evil clown :)D) said, you can find the screenshots here.
    And remember: Most of the landscapes you see are subjects to change. Most of them are in a sort of alpha-phase shape.

10. Aesthetics

Aesthetics

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What the fudge? When I click on the link, it says: "Invalid Link" :confused:

{EDIT}
    I hereby announce that my self assigned vacation starts today (been working on first solo project with a crap-load of work and structuring to do). School didn't pull me down as much as I expected, yet I've been spending more time discussing or making Wc3 Maps instead of enjoying them (I will still read my PMs and threads frequently but no work).

I'll see you all in a few days. :grin:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2009
  11. AbstractCreativity

AbstractCreativity

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Hmm... Sounds strange. Anyways, you can click yourself into my Public Profile, and you'll find the album there.

Yep, see you in a couple of days. A break could do you some good I guess. :)

Hell yeah it'll be awesome, I tell you! If everything works out as planned, anyways. But there's still a lot to be done, so don't expect it to be out in public anytime soon. Stay tuned for more information, though :)

12. Aesthetics

Aesthetics

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Back from vacation; gonna work on the spell eventually (perhaps tomorrow).

13. AbstractCreativity

AbstractCreativity

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Nope. This ain't dead. :thumbs_up:

Blax and I are working on the terrain.
    You just haven't noticed since it's gone quite a bit over PMs lately.
    But I'll be popping out new screenshots before you know it. ^^

14. Blaxor

Blaxor

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Any ideas when we can expect some screenshots? :cute: I know I've seen most of it all ready but it's allways fun to see what's been edited after I last saw it. :wink:

EDIT: 400th post :3

15. Aesthetics

Aesthetics

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So I decided to work on the spell; will update within a couple minutes...

EDIT: Got the spell; I require our map file to properly implement the spells. Please attach it to your next post, and don't make any changes until I finish planting the spell (unless you love re-doing your work) I will not do anything else before then.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  16. Vosty

Vosty

Resources:
    Resources:
    This looks nice!
    I'm glad to see it be made. How will the ship fire? Straight on, or from the side like Trillium suggested?

17. Blaxor

Blaxor

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Abstract when you need me to do some terraining (anytime is good) just tell me since I'll be working on my own private project I've been having on hold for god knows how long. Just write a pm, vm or in this thread (I'm checking it at least once each day)

18. AbstractCreativity

AbstractCreativity

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Okay guys I haven't checked in on this thread for a little while. I see it's 'bout time I did so...

@ Vosty: Currently, I have no idea how to make the ships fire sideways, although that would be awesome. We'll look into it.

@ Blaxor: Hehe I'll tell you when I'd like some terraining done from your part. Glad you asked, though, shows you're still interested :)

@ Aesthetics: I'll send you the map, if you'd like?

19. Vosty

Vosty

Resources:
    Resources:
    You have no idea?
    Same here. I wouldn't even be sure. Maybe like some projectile system or something?
    Or maybe a unit that is moved to the location of the unit, facing 90 degrees off the unit (MoveUnitBJ is no gonna cut there. You'll need jass.)
    Why don't you try asking a higher power? There are all sorts of wise/smart people here.

20. Aesthetics

Aesthetics

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, I would like a copy of the map. Also, I stated in an earlier post that the map should be edited one at a time as not to repeat work.

So, everyone would stop working for a while, I would paste the triggers and stuff in, make a couple small edits, then send you all the map.

P.S. RPGs take dedication, you should be more active. :wink: