• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wyrmsbane Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Many eons ago, a fearsome dragon ruled over the land of Arathor, until a legendary Orc shaman led his tribe against it in battle. Having wounded the dragon by rending open its side, the shaman bound it to stone with a powerful Earth incantation, and built a fortress inside of its ossified remains.

...or something like that

Hello everyone! I made a thing!

Attachments

• 2014Terrain1.png
    2014Terrain1.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 397
Level 21
I love the stone dragon and the tunnel leading to it. The background is also nice, but I think the foreground looks a bit unloved. Maybe if you make more cliffside and hill platforms (instead of wavy slopes) similar to what you did near the tree on the far right, it'll look more natural.

Level 34
You did it! Wooooooooo

Dem textures doh. The rocks are really stretching. Also what's with the burnt trees?

Still a good terrain. Classic Void I'd say. Not quite on-par with your best work, but a good start to the many more you are sure to make now.

Level 36
I love the stone dragon and the tunnel leading to it. The background is also nice, but I think the foreground looks a bit unloved. Maybe if you make more cliffside and hill platforms (instead of wavy slopes) similar to what you did near the tree on the far right, it'll look more natural.
You did it! Wooooooooo

Dem textures doh. The rocks are really stretching. Also what's with the burnt trees?

Still a good terrain. Classic Void I'd say. Not quite on-par with your best work, but a good start to the many more you are sure to make now.

I dunno, maybe the dragon burnt them. Lol

I'll see what I can do about the foreground, I think it's too late for those rocks though... >_>

Thanks for the comments guys

Level 15
Talk about a pleasant surprise. I thought you were just dropping in to see what had changed around here, and here you are, with a brand new terrain.

As Gilles said, definitely has that classic "Void" look and feel to it.

Edit: Does this mean we can expect to see some more from you in the future?

Level 36
I suppose so. I had a lot of fun making this. I'm gonna see if Keiji still wants to do that challenge, and otherwise maybe if I get another day off sometime soon.

It's not the foreground, it's all the rocks. Most of them anyways.

oh that bit was referring to Tickler's comment

I know the rocks are fucked, I just don't really know how to fix it without taking the whole thing apart :(

Level 10
Well, I'm actually fine with the rocks as they are.
Yes, the rocks by themself might look really bad, but if you look at the whole tarrain they fit extremely well. It just has the true 'warcraft feel' to me. I guess we're all just used to the 'HD-overkill' in terrains lately (what isn't bad at all), while this somewhat old-school.
IOM just leave it as it is.

Level 15
Yes, the rocks by themself might look really bad, but if you look at the whole tarrain they fit extremely well. It just has the true 'warcraft feel' to me. I guess we're all just used to the 'HD-overkill' in terrains lately (what isn't bad at all), while this somewhat old-school.
IOM just leave it as it is.

This is definitely a "classic" style terrain, for sure.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
1 up'd. You've still got it!

Stairs look kinda off to be fair. esp the texture/color clash between the arched staircases and the final bridge into the fortress.
Yes, the rocks by themself might look really bad, but if you look at the whole terrain they fit extremely well.
Agreed. In the bigger picture, they actually do look good.

Level 36
Such a classic.

About the steinlord problem, I think that could be somewhat remedied by making a new
rock doodad and flipping it sideways, to patch the stretched surfaces, you know.

I honestly really thought I'd never see you again (,:

Level 36
Such a classic.

About the steinlord problem, I think that could be somewhat remedied by making a new
rock doodad and flipping it sideways, to patch the stretched surfaces, you know.

I honestly really thought I'd never see you again (,:

It's good to see this place is still up and running! Everyone's still here!

And it even seems like we might no longer be under the tyranny of big yellow dragons and furry fan-artists!

:goblin_yeah:

Status
Not open for further replies.