• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Misc] Writing a map review

Level 16
Bugz present
204993-albums4965-picture49880.png

Introduction
Recently there is coming alot of new reviewers, but they don't always get all the information's they need with them. Also alot of them is either set up bad or is just wrong in many fronts. There was also a big discussion about some impotent people doing very bad reviews, so i made this to avoid such things in the future.

Moderator review
A moderator review is a review written by a user and afterwards send to a moderator. This is very helpfull for moderators, because it spare's them alot of time.

User review
A user review is something that can be made by everyone, it doesnt require any experience. The user review is considered a opinion since it's made by someone with no experience at all, but its always good to write one to a map you like. That way you can tell what you want improved, or balanced.

-Kobas- said:
Requirements level 1:
- a description clearly telling what this map is about.
- a name not being "just another x map".
- the author field should match the submitters name, (but don't be nazi about it).
- the name and picture should look unique.
- the map should not violate any other site rules.
- the map should be properly categorized.
- the minimap should not reveal a hideous terrain that clearly reveals poor quality.

Level 2 (possibly requires opening):
- the map is new or a heavily modified version of another map (in which case credit should be given if possible).
- the map does not crash (on launch and during playing).
- the map has no obvious dead icons.
- the map is not bad. (the map should be alright. Not necessarily a director's cut at all, but useful in some way. Perhaps a good storyline or good terrain/graphics or entertaining.)

• If the map falls short in any of the level 1 or 2 requirements, you can reported it.
  • If the map is hopeless, stolen or build around something that breaks the rules, it should obviously just be reported.
  • If the map is just another version of footman/dota/etc etc map (few new spells/heroes/models/etc etc) can be reported as well.
More information -Here-

First part
  • First we got to find a map to review, its always smartest to take it from the pending list.
  • Now when we are at the pending list, go to the last page, and take one of these. Its always best to take from here, since they are the oldest and that's the way of the system
  • Now you go test the map, and make notice of everything. Even small notes are good
Second part
  • Now that we have checked a map *in my chance its -Kobas- footman map* are we ready to make a review
  • Now let's go make some icons that we can use *Use Cooltext*
  • Create a (Suggestions/Good things/Bad things text image/(Your username)'s Map review)
204993-albums4965-picture49878.png
204993-albums4965-picture49875.png
204993-albums4965-picture49877.png
204993-albums4965-picture49876.png
  • Download the image's you made on cooltext, and upload them to your gallery
  • Now start by creating a header
    204993-albums4965-picture49881.png
    Edit the url to yours from your gallery
  • My header will look like this (And let's hope your looks so cool aswell):
    204993-albums4965-picture49882.png
  • Now we go mention the name. Use
    Code, and give it a unique color, that you doesn't use in the rest of your review
    Created by XXX ; Uploaded by: XXX
    [*] Now go ahead and write the good things about the map, the review should include:

204993-albums4965-picture49875.png

Idea: (How good the idea is)
    Map Presentation: (how is the description of the map) (Hive)
    Ingame description/Custom Game Interface: (How is the outlook of the map, icons/descriptions & ui)
    Terrain: (How well is the terrain)
    Triggers & Leaks: ( Is the map leaking, or is something wrong in the triggers )
    Models & Skins: (How good is the models/Skins, or isnt there any?)
    Gameplay: (How good is the gameplay, how funny and what does it features)
    Campaign Editor (optional): (How nice is the campaign, story line and relates)

[*] And now the bad things.

204993-albums4965-picture49876.png

bad things need to include whatever is made wrong or is missing, like not enough heroes. But! it should be judged by the same form as good things, just opposite comments

[*] After the good and bad things, comes Suggestions. Suggestions should clearly enough include what you think is needed and should be added

[*] Now finally you have to rate the map, there are five choices:

1/5 Vote for Rejection (Unacceptable)
    2/5 Vote for Approval (Lacking)
    3/5 Vote for Approval (Acceptable)
    4/5 Vote for Approval (Recommended)
    5/5 Vote for Approval (Highly Recommended)

[*]Since your rate is the most impotent thing, think carefully.

[*] My review ends up like this: Link

I hope your's will look as good :) i will update again tomorrow, feel free to comment and suggest. Also i arent sure if its to comclicated, i will upload a template aswell.

Yes, Rui already posted a thread like this, so I'm not sure whether we need another.

Unless you have any specific differences between this one and Rui's. ;) This one does have cool images and stuff, but it seems kind of more about the setup rather than the actual review. You can always post it as a map-review-template or something, but otherwise you'll probably need to add more explanation on criticizing and the other things to keep in mind when reviewing.

Please notify me if you are going to update this within 1 week.

EDIT: ~Graveyarded. Let me know if you are willing to make updates and I'll move it back.

Last edited: