• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WoW models in Starcraft 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
No, I'm not talking about the night elf strippers.
I haven't played Starcraft 2 for long, but in many of the custom maps I've seen, I've seen imported WoW models. I know for certain that this is illegal in Wc3, and no such map with WoW models would ever be uploaded.
Two examples I've seen lately is a worgen marine with a full set of WoW-ingame worgen animations, skin and model (With some parts added), and I've also seen a boss from Magisters Terrace.
I know that I'm correct, considering I'm a WoW player myself, those animations just doesn't pass by my eyes.

So what's up with this? Is this ok in Starcraft 2? Thanks, Revolve.

Level 5
polycount is probably way too high to spam them. you can make way better models with lower polycount in sc2 because of normal maps.

i dont see why hives stance on WoW models would be different in sc2. its not illegal, i think the reason they banned it was because every kid thought it would be cool to turn every game into WoW and flood the map list with crap

sine you upload maps to bnet for sc2, theres no way for hive to stop you though.

blizzard will probably let you do it but if you make a really good map that they would consider a candidate for premium, it might give them a reason to totally cut you out of a) getting credit b) getting any money

Level 17
Blizzard allow the usage of WoW models in starcraft II.
There was once a guy that made a video where he created terrain similar to the art style, and he used a wow model as the unit you control.
Blizzard thought it was looking so good that they showed it on their facebook.
They also do not ban maps that use wow models. So this should be enough proof that it is allowed.

And if blizzard allows it I do not see why hive wouldn't.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Well, ofcourse they look nice as they are massivly better than WC3. The problem however is they do not use the SC2 engine fully.

SC2 needs separate models for different kinds of unit death (which WoW lacks). SC2 uses more texture layers than WoW so the models are not fully utalizing the game engine. WoW models use a different form of animation system (one without the physics SC2 uses) so that the models can not perform as well as they potentially could.

They are usable, but they are below SC2 in quality. However, if people ported the models correctly adding extra textures, deaths and improving the animation to use the extra features then they will be perfect.

Level 12
Starcraft models are indeed high quality, but if you zoom in or play in first person mode then it just looks really really bad. But then you just scroll out a little bit and then it looks much better again, I don't understand, do they have low quality textures or something?

Level 17
Haha, StarCraft II models does NOT look bad when you zoom in. Saying that wold just be madness.
Have you seen HoN models or something similar to that? They are actually about the same quality as WarCraft III, if not worse. And I am dead serious.
Now look at StarCraft II, It looks good even when zoomed in.

Level 17
It is legal. Blizzard is okay with it.
If they happen to change their mind in the future they just remove the map from battle.net and contact the author through email telling him/her why the map was removed, and what to do in order to get it back up.
That is what they have done so far with different maps that have broken against the rules (by mistake ofcourse).

Level 17
The proof? The only proof of ripping legality I have is for music from blizzard games (as said by their mapping contest rules). WoW models seem to be permited yet also illegal at the same time as many SC2 maps are using them and not getting removed despite it violating the terms of use of both WoW and SC2.

I do not have the link, but if you go waay back in blizzards facebook you can find that they once showed of a custom map that someone on sc2mapster created, and it used alextraza from world of warcraft.
They would not exactly make something famous if the wow models wasn't even allowed.

I can try to find it when I get home later today.

Level 17
Maybe some of Blizzard employees posted it without knowing that ripping WoW models is illegal? I mean that's possible, right?

That does not sound like something blizzard would do.

But seriously, just try to upload a damn map to battle.net that use wow models, all blizzard does is removing the map from battle.net and email you why they removed it, that is how they have done it so far on all projects I have heard about from both udmod and sc2mapster.

Here is the facebook post btw: http://www.facebook.com/StarCraft/posts/140964685945522

Blizzard have not said anything at all about not using wow content in starcraft II, and as long as they haven't mentioned that I would assume it is alright, if it isn't, then it is their fault for not telling us about it beforehand.

Edit: When I think about it, I have uploaded maps (in private) to battle.net that use lots of warcraft 3 icons and world of warcraft models/textures.
It was uploaded for about 2 months without any happening.

Level 27
That does not sound like something blizzard would do.

But seriously, just try to upload a damn map to battle.net that use wow models, all blizzard does is removing the map from battle.net and email you why they removed it, that is how they have done it so far on all projects I have heard about from both udmod and sc2mapster.

Here is the facebook post btw: http://www.facebook.com/StarCraft/posts/140964685945522

Blizzard have not said anything at all about not using wow content in starcraft II, and as long as they haven't mentioned that I would assume it is alright, if it isn't, then it is their fault for not telling us about it beforehand.

Edit: When I think about it, I have uploaded maps (in private) to battle.net that use lots of warcraft 3 icons and world of warcraft models/textures.
It was uploaded for about 2 months without any happening.

Well everybody makes mistakes... and if that's private... I doubt Blizz will check it out, I mean they check out only reported public maps, right?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Only public maps get tested and so are enforced. Yes privatly it is illegal but restrictions may not be enforced.

As far as I am aware this site is strongly against game exports of any kind, including WoW models. Thus even if they were legal, discussion of the methods of doing so would not be possible on this site. If your evidence is strong enough you may wish to try and change the rule but sucess is not likly until Blizzard activly admits that they support it.

Why would blizzard suppost a map that make use of world of warcraft models by actually advertising it on their facebook (They showed a video of it) if it was against their own rules?
They did this with WC3 and their spotlight maps. Still did not mean it is legal.

The argument so far for use of WoW models in SC2...
They permited the use of music from any blizzard game in SC2 (for the competition which garunteed map publication) so why not other resources. Blizzard owns WoW and all its contense thus placing them on their servers in SC2 will not put them in violation of international copyright.

And against...
The liscence for WoW probably states that the game resources are to be used by owners of WoW and only within WoW (and not SC2). SC2 custom map liscence states that no resources from copyrighted games can be used and WoW is copyrighted (although to Blizzard so internal lawsuit would be dumb).

Due to the against reasons and the site rules, I am forced to oppose the use of them in SC2.

There are certain model viewers that can strip the information right out of the files in WoW.
The polycounts are actually very fing gorgeous, as you can imagine a very large image like a tauren being compacted into this little tiny unit. There is a lot of detail.
Unfortunately I do not believe it is legal. It may be, I'm not really too sure.
If it isn't, you'll find out real fast, because Blizzard will ban your map lolz.

Edit: Also it may be illegal to use WoW models outside of a Blizzard game, but think about it really, you're using it in Sc2. I don't think they'll have a problem. The restrictions may not be enforced.

Level 17
I THINK blizzard would just support it if it makes starcraft 2 more popular in some way, and aslong as you use resouces created by blizzard themself.

But yeah, we can't be 100% sure if this is correct or not.

We could just ask blizzard on the starcraft II forums that they actually read, believe it or not.

Level 17
Well I remember one of the first maps they banned was a survival game.
The units would travel in circles and you would have to avoid them.
At one point the units formed a swatzika, and thus blizzard banned the map.
So yeah.. they can be dicks xD

Thats just logical you know :p
Here in sweden your screwed if you even paint that symbole somewhere and you get caught doing it.
If blizzard finds it within their own game it would just be totally stupid not to do anything about it.

Also, another map that got banned was nexus word wars.
It had words that wasn't appropriate.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Ok I am closing this topic as it is a mater of time before it gets out of hand and people get punished.

The reason it was removed is because such symbols are illegal. If any of you look at internet news you will be aware of the Baker in Austria who is being sentanced to 3 years in prision. It is still taken very seriously there and even a map like that could result in criminal penalties like a fine in Austria or Germany. Yes it may not be a crime in the UK it is still extreemly bad taste. As we play with people in Austria and Germany and the rest of the EU it means that the map rules have to conform with all the local rules in each country.

It has nothing to do with age limits, it is purly because it is criminally punishable to support such a symbol in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.