• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Would YOU Still Visit the Library...

Would you prefer to Download a book for life for a small fee or go to the Book Store?

• Yes

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Both

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Depends on how I feel

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • How much would this be to download?

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • None of the above

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
If all of a sudden books could simply be downloaded for a small fee, would you rather download them and read them on the computer or would you rather go to the library and read them?

And recently, some stories can be read on line for free (with no returns!).

As an added benefit, would you prefer to download them for a small fee and KEEP them for free (in say, a .pdf file?) or get them from the library?

I personally: Would like to get it from a good ol' fashion library?

Level 15
I'm going to stop reading the post before I even finish the title.

--

To "still go to the library", don't you have to start going in the first place?

If so, then no answer.
If not, then no, I "won't still go to the library".

Level 15
Yeah, but why would I use this service when all I have to do is use my PDA software -- which is free by the way? And who's to say it's for life? Maybe you're dumb and you re-install Windows and it goes bye-bye. Or if you reformat..?

Level 11
Information is best digital.

You're kidding me, right? To read a book on the PC (or in any other device, such as a mobile phone or shit) is just suicidally stupid. Nothing beats having a good book in your hands, even the smell of it beats some shitty computers and the such. Dude, this society has really been modernized too much =/ To even read a book on a computer sounds stupid. Nothing is better than having a REAL book and reading it the NORMAL way.

Anyways, I don't like going to the library usually, because laters I have to return the book that I've gotten and I can't read it ever else (or have to go and take it again from there). I prefer to go to the bookstore and buy me a book and then buy me another when the first one is finished and so on. I like reading <3

Level 37
You're kidding me, right? To read a book on the PC (or in any other device, such as a mobile phone or shit) is just suicidally stupid. Nothing beats having a good book in your hands, even the smell of it beats some shitty computers and the such. Dude, this society has really been modernized too much =/ To even read a book on a computer sounds stupid. Nothing is better than having a REAL book and reading it the NORMAL way.
100% true. +rep

Level 15
You're kidding me, right? To read a book on the PC (or in any other device, such as a mobile phone or shit) is just suicidally stupid.

y

Nothing beats having a good book in your hands, even the smell of it beats some shitty computers and the such.
What the hell does that mean? My computer smells good as far as I care (so does my PDA). And I have books from the 18th century that smell worse than the shit I shit. I think you need to learn about this new invention called "sanitizer wipes".

Dude, this society has really been modernized too much
How is using digital information a bad thing? You can store more books in a much smaller space. You can even cut-back on your books getting ruined from old age. Not to mention that text fades as ink ages.

To even read a book on a computer sounds stupid
Prove it then, Jesus Christ.

Nothing is better than having a REAL book and reading it the NORMAL way.
How the hell is reading a book different from reading a digital book? It's the same text. The same story. The same everything. The only difference is that it's more convenient and will last longer.

Honestly, it sounds like you're just pulling a bunch of bullshit out of your ass and saying that America is becoming too industrial. Digital booklets already exist, and I'm sure you use them yourself (ie; pdf).

Level 35
I would greatly enjoy being able to have huge tomes and books stored on a relatively small device...But there is also that feeling, that wondrous transcendence that only a real, solid, hard backed, dusty old book can give you. You cannot replace the academic feeling of good old fashioned paper and pen. It is the foundation of all literature. ^_^

Level 12
I prefer to read news online, but books for knowledge, I rather buy it or borrow from the library. Not everything is online anyways, you'll find information in the library that you cannot find in the internet, but at the same time, there are other information in the internet you cannot find in the library.

Level 24
I don't read books, so I don't give a damn really.

Don't know if I'm different from others, but my eyes won't hurt or anything even if I read lots of crap from interenet. I guess my eyes are just used to the bright screen already.

+ I don't get any epic feeling when I hold a damn book... It starts to get annoying after holding a book for 30 mins really, so I prefer reading from da screenzor

Level 36
Actually, you're the first person on here that I've met (And I've been here a long fucking time) that doesn't enjoy fantasy. Most of us read here, pal.

And who the hell reads non-fiction out of a book? Obviously that's retarded.

And all of the fiction on the internet blows, because it's fanmade or homemade. And if it's fiction and can be found in a library, that's ILLEGAL, because they have no right to distribute it. Unless of course you're paying for an e-book, which is dumb.

Actually, you're the first person on here that I've met (And I've been here a long fucking time) that doesn't enjoy fantasy. Most of us read here, pal.

And who the hell reads non-fiction out of a book? Obviously that's retarded.

And all of the fiction on the internet blows, because it's fanmade or homemade. And if it's fiction and can be found in a library, that's ILLEGAL, because they have no right to distribute it. Unless of course you're paying for an e-book, which is dumb.

I like how you justify all your points by calling mine "dumb" or "retarded". If you want to persuade people to see your point of view, try giving valid reasons and being mature.
I don't remember saying anything about not reading fiction? I just said that, in the case of finding quick results, fiction is useless. Just because you like fiction doesn't mean everyone does. I like fiction, I don't like reading.

Consider these points:
- Reading non-fiction out of a book is not "retarded". Many more people get this kind of information offline, but older works may sometimes only be found as a hard copy. Once again, just because you use the internet for it, doesn't mean everyone else does.
- All the fiction on the internet doesn't blow, maybe you just have bad taste. You act like you represent every voice in the world. The fiction online can be just as good, if not, better than the fiction in a book.
-Posting fiction online is not illegal. A lot of publishers put books online because books are, for the most part, outdated. Eventually books will be a thing of the past.
-Make sense.

Level 36
I'm merely pointing out the foolishness of the things you suggest.

The net is a resource that no book can match. The collective minds of billions of people all inputting information tends to overwhelm that of a single author and their limited research.

Once again, just because you don't use the internet for non-fiction information, doesn't mean that the overwhelming majority doesn't either. As far as I can tell most people vast prefer the internet for research rather than traditional means.

I have never once seen a good example of fiction, beyond fan fiction, on the net. Since you seem to be an authority on the subject (Considering you're the only individual I've ever met that peruses fiction on the internet beyond the realm of fan work), please direct me to any example of fiction, on the internet, that you think isn't terrible. I'm intensely curious to see what this request will yield.

It's completely illegal. That book is someone's intellectual property. They wrote it. They own it. They own the rights to distribute it as they see fit. Once the copyright expires (If it's over a hundred years old), it becomes public domain, and as such is owned by the public. As for fiction, it works the same way. All fiction is property of the original author and unless the author consents to it, no one has any right to publish it online.

I'm merely pointing out the foolishness of the things you suggest.

The net is a resource that no book can match. The collective minds of billions of people all inputting information tends to overwhelm that of a single author and their limited research.

Once again, just because you don't use the internet for non-fiction information, doesn't mean that the overwhelming majority doesn't either. As far as I can tell most people vast prefer the internet for research rather than traditional means.

I have never once seen a good example of fiction, beyond fan fiction, on the net. Since you seem to be an authority on the subject (Considering you're the only individual I've ever met that peruses fiction on the internet beyond the realm of fan work), please direct me to any example of fiction, on the internet, that you think isn't terrible. I'm intensely curious to see what this request will yield.

It's completely illegal. That book is someone's intellectual property. They wrote it. They own it. They own the rights to distribute it as they see fit. Once the copyright expires (If it's over a hundred years old), it becomes public domain, and as such is owned by the public. As for fiction, it works the same way. All fiction is property of the original author and unless the author consents to it, no one has any right to publish it online.

You pointed out that your claims must be the authority. That's about it.

Examples of good fiction and bad fiction are purely opinional. You can't expect anyone to find an example of fiction that you would like. Don't expect a response when everything on the matter is just an opinion?

And please inform me, where might resourses go after:
the author distributes it?
it becomes public domain?
the author gives consent to use his or her works?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say... maybe the internet?
Does that mean it's illegal?
Before you try and point out another person's foolishness, check up on your own.

Level 36
Good criticism is not entirely based upon opinion. There are common standards for everything, and literature has them as well.

Generally no author gives consent to have their work mangled across the internet unless they don't value it very much or they're a determined open-source junkie.

Good criticism is not entirely based upon opinion. There are common standards for everything, and literature has them as well.

Generally no author gives consent to have their work mangled across the internet unless they don't value it very much or they're a determined open-source junkie.

The only point I'm trying to make is that you need to consider other persons' point of view.

There is a distinct difference between good and bad fiction, yes.
But to say that there is absolutely no good fiction online is a false claim. That is your opinion.

Also, there are illegal means of obtaining books online. There are also legal means.
All literature online is neither legal nor illegal. There is enough of each online for reading. The internet contains fiction.

Level 9
y

What the hell does that mean? My computer smells good as far as I care (so does my PDA). And I have books from the 18th century that smell worse than the shit I shit. I think you need to learn about this new invention called "sanitizer wipes".

How is using digital information a bad thing? You can store more books in a much smaller space. You can even cut-back on your books getting ruined from old age. Not to mention that text fades as ink ages.

Prove it then, Jesus Christ.

How the hell is reading a book different from reading a digital book? It's the same text. The same story. The same everything. The only difference is that it's more convenient and will last longer.

Honestly, it sounds like you're just pulling a bunch of bullshit out of your ass and saying that America is becoming too industrial. Digital booklets already exist, and I'm sure you use them yourself (ie; pdf).

From your attitude I'm going to assume you're not going to give a shit about a word I say but I'll rant anyway :smile:
I'm going to be a little contradicting here...
What is your obsession with completley insulting everyone elses opinions? I mean seriously, we're all entitled to them and it shows what respect you've got for the Hive community if you're just going to google: "OMGAWDZ WORLDS WORST INSULTS" and type them into forum threads.
Face the facts, your probably some 14 year old kid who is self-obsessed and can't think that other people might have slightly different views and opinions and you have nothing better to do then argue in a completley rude manner (Debating is different!). (Also... not every mother fucker here has a portable media device where one is able to read digitally -> You've only got one because you're parents bought you one (though you might work but you're not mature for that ofc).
Why would the hive community care for for those kind of comments? Seriously -> Do you have ANYTHING at all to offer it?
If not.... (and I'm gunna be a bit blunt here for the sake of puny mind :p)....
G T F O

(Yeh lol, feel free to argue back, no doubt I'll get in trouble for this -> I did say this post was gunna be a little contradicting!)

Anyway, personally I'de probably do a bit of both, I hate having to return to the library and constantly end up with fines for late returns (blah!). Digital book are helpful for plane journeys etc like travelling lightly. But when a new book comes out that I really wanna read I'de prefer to read it from paper rather then digitally.

Status
Not open for further replies.