• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wormz D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
Hi everybody.
Your pall Devine needs some help.
My computer takes really long to boot and so are the rest of the computers I have. It wasn't really an issue but now it really takes long. I think i have a worm but none of my antivirusses tells me i have one so ... (here's the question) Do you guys know a good (free) antiworm program? Thanks in advance, Devine.

Level 15
Short of formatting and completely reloading the operating system on your hard drive, any of the normal antivirus programs (Norton/Symantec, McAfee, AVG, Nod32, Kaspersky, etc...) would be your best bet.

Level 15
How many programs are starting up and loading when you first start up your computer. Having a lot of things running in the background can really slow down the operation of the machine at times.

Level 2
If you're using XP there's usually a waiting time in the begging of th boot (30 seconds I think) to allow you to enter the boot menu or setup menu. If you ask me 30 seconds is a waste of time, if you wan't to eneter the boot menu or setup menu you don't usually need 30 seconds. You can save some time by redusing it. If you enter the start menu you should have the run icon there. Enter: "msconfig" there you can also change the autostartup programs and a lot of services that can be "removed/shut down". If you reduce the wait period and only tag the services and programs that you actually use your computer should start a lot faster (you can get 25 from the wait and another 15 (this may differ a lot) from the services/programs) and your overall performance should be increased since (as said) you won't have as many background services/programs that you don't use any way. I think you can do the same in vista, even though I can't give a guide. There should also be similiar things that can be done in both Linux,Mac and all other OS's.
Hope this helps and sorry for the quite late reply.

EDIT: Oh! And some viruses actually acts as programs and can be deactivated by removing them from autostart.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Alt + CTRl + delete and find out what is making it slow. If your RAM is at 50% + then more RAM may speed your PC up. If the processor is ideling at 5% or more, then you have too many background programs or else one is broken and using up more than it should (in that case remove the cause by clossing it and stopping it from running at start up). If your HDD is very full, speed will be reduced so make sure it has atleast 25% free space and that it is defragmented.

Status
Not open for further replies.