• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Crash] WorldEdit crash on map opening!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I can open WorldEdit normaly, and when the default flat map opens, it's all normal. BUT when i try to open a map, ANY map, it crashes on
'Creating Models'.
Can anyone help me? The only map i was able to open is the default one 'Harrow'.
I have the newest patches, and I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate.
Can anyone help me?!?
:goblin_cry:
:vw_death:
:ogre_rage:
Also, it's all cool on maps created by me, but it doesn't work on any other maps!

Vunjo

Hosted Project: SC
Level 14
Most maps are protected, forbidding just anyone from opening it in WE. Although, there is no Blizzard map that is protected.
There are many reasons why we protect our maps. But there is only 1 thing in it. If your WE crashes, the map is most likely protected.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
if dont work after reinstall then i think its win 7 fault coz at installer warcraft already thinked its windows nt and maybe that the problem, idk exactly coz i changed back to xp :p
WarCraft III works flawlessly with Windows 7 so do not make up stories.

I can open WorldEdit normaly, and when the default flat map opens, it's all normal. BUT when i try to open a map, ANY map, it crashes on
'Creating Models'.
This could have 2 causes.
1. The installation of WarCraft III is curropted on your computer system. When WorldEdit tries to load the appropiate model resources it encounters one which is curropted and causes a fatal error.
2. Your graphic driver is faulty. When it tries to load or process some model resources the render target throws an error. A specific opperation may be faulty which not all models use (why 1 map loads). It could even be defective hardware.

I advise reinstalling WarCraft III and patching before even being concerned about 2. If you still encounter the error then try updating or changing your graphic driver (some versions are buggy). If the problem persists still, experiement with playing WarCraft III as WorldEdit should be using the same shader configuration as WarCraft III client.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
(another reason why i changed back to xp coz was rumours about more old games what worked on xp and on 7 no, but maybe really just rumour)
Depends on how old you are talking... The problem is most modern systems are 64bit to take advantage of the cheap memory we have nowdays. As they are foced to run in extended mode this prevents any 16 bit program (or game) from running. This is present in Windows XP 64 as well due to the hardware limitations of running in extended mode.

To get around this, you use Windows 7 for most tasks and games while running a virtalized XP for those programs which are not supported by Windows 7. This way you can even run them in Windows 7 by booting up the virtualized XP in a window and running them on that. Obviously this requires hardware which supports virtualization (like most modern intel processors).

Level 14
Depends on how old you are talking... The problem is most modern systems are 64bit to take advantage of the cheap memory we have nowdays. As they are foced to run in extended mode this prevents any 16 bit program (or game) from running. This is present in Windows XP 64 as well due to the hardware limitations of running in extended mode.

To get around this, you use Windows 7 for most tasks and games while running a virtalized XP for those programs which are not supported by Windows 7. This way you can even run them in Windows 7 by booting up the virtualized XP in a window and running them on that. Obviously this requires hardware which supports virtualization (like most modern intel processors).

1 small question: why use a Virtual Machine when you can simply right click on the program -> Solve Compatibility issues and then select a different OS which does support executing 16 bit programs? Wouldn't that be a faster work-around then having to install a Virtual Machine? Even Windows 95 is supported when you click on solve compatibility issues. This would make it run as if it was being executed within the selected operating system.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
1 small question: why use a Virtual Machine when you can simply right click on the program -> Solve Compatibility issues and then select a different OS which does support executing 16 bit programs?
Because no 64bit OS can execute 16 bit programs because the processor is running in extended mode. Just because you select an old opperating system like Windows 95 which did not have a 64 bit version still does not mean the processor is not running in extended mode. Running a 16 bit program will always throw you a "unsupported program" error message on a 64 bit opperating system. Virtualizing an OS allows you to use the processor in other modes of opperation which do support 16 bit programs. This is the only way to run a 16 bit program on a 64 bit opperating system (by running it in a 32 bit opperating system with a 64 bit main opperating system).

Obviously the 32bit version of Windows 7 will run 16 bit programs perfectly because the processor is not running in extended mode. This is not really a viable option as people should stat moving away from 32bit OS now.

Level 17
1 small question: why use a Virtual Machine when you can simply right click on the program -> Solve Compatibility issues and then select a different OS which does support executing 16 bit programs? Wouldn't that be a faster work-around then having to install a Virtual Machine? Even Windows 95 is supported when you click on solve compatibility issues. This would make it run as if it was being executed within the selected operating system.

no, just try run mario from 1993 with xp when u set compatible to win 98...
dont work...
and still dos was really a damn small OS compared with any windows also dont needed something specific hardware :p

i am fan of old games, i like the retro but win xp already make them unplayeable until i dont use a dosbox atleast coz that windows compatible thing its not really usefull in many case :/

Last edited:
Level 14
no, just try run mario from 1993 with xp when u set compatible to win 98...
dont work...
and still dos was really a damn small OS compared with any windows also dont needed something specific hardware :p

i am fan of old games, i like the retro but win xp already make them unplayeable until i dont use a dosbox atleast coz that windows compatible thing its not really usefull in many case :/

I have had many cases in which it in fact was useful. Many applications I've downloaded and didn't work did work after running it in compatibility mode...

Can someone give me a link to a 16 bit game? I really want to test this out, I can't beleave what I'm seeing here...

By the way, what about an emulator? I've played lots of old-school games on emulators, not sure about 16 bit games though...

Level 17
I have had many cases in which it in fact was useful. Many applications I've downloaded and didn't work did work after running it in compatibility mode...

Can someone give me a link to a 16 bit game? I really want to test this out, I can't beleave what I'm seeing here...

By the way, what about an emulator? I've played lots of old-school games on emulators, not sure about 16 bit games though...

ok emulator already not same than windows compatibility :p

i used emulator too for dos, psx (but in psp case its drain the cpu usage like hell if its a older pc)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
No need when your processor can run them nativly by not running in exnteded mode.

DoS is hardware specific as it is compiled only to run on certain processor types. It is like trying to run Windows 7 on an ARM CPU, it does not work. Windows 8 is offering ARM builds but logically these will not work on regual x86-64 processors which most PCs have.

Status
Not open for further replies.