• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Crash] WorldEdit has stopped working

Level 1
I've been suddenly having a lot of issues with Warcraft III lately, first the Crypt Lord impale spell animation stopped showing (v. 1.21b), which led me to install Reforged just to regret it completely and immediately uninstall it, which then led me to install 1.27a version to see if it works, and it fixed the spell animation issue, but now WorldEdit decided to be a complete pain in the **s and won't work unless I remove the WorldEdit + Map keys in windows registry and then restart the computer completely, and I need to do this every time so it works, otherwise, it keeps crashing and displaying the "worldedit.exe stopped working" error window.

Things I have tried:

• Delete worldedit, maps and classic launcher keys in registry, didn't work;
  • Restart computer, doesn't work;
  • Reinstalled the game completely dozen of times, both with 1.27a and 1.21b patches, didn't work;
  • Tried 1.31 by following this guy's post, the game starts windowed like if it had no support for FHD and the worldedit doesn't even start, it says "Unable to load game data. Files may be missing or corrupted";

At this point I am hopeless and one step from completely giving up on the game, lately it's been basically 90% of the time just trying to make it work and 10% actually playing it and none of the fixes that worked for other users are working for me, it can't get more frustrating.

parks-and.gif

I am just trying to find a fix that can actually allow me to consistently play the game without being worried about worldedit or the game itself just crashing randomly.

Hope anyone here can help me

EDIT1: So, after doing a complete clean WCIII reinstall (first running uninstall from Programs and Features, then removing register keys manually, then removing residual files by manually deleting Warcraft III folder) and patching it to 1.21b, everything is working normal as before this all started, but it is working for now, I will still watch it the next few days to see if anything will crash again and will update the post

EDIT2: I will close this for now, I've been playing the game for two days now without any crashes, worldedit opens and closes without any errors, the abilities that weren't working before are working now, can't speak for all abilities as I didn't test them, but it seems fine now. I didn't find the root cause of my issue, but my guess is that it is related to registry keys, in any case just a full clean reinstall fixed it.

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
It sounds like you're having a hardware or non-Wc3 related problem. Old pc? What's your operating system?

Also, what was wrong with the latest patch (Reforged)? All of it's issues, although annoying, aren't enough to prevent you from making a map. Also, the additions to the Trigger Editor far outweigh those issues in my opinion.

Here's a list of issues in the latest patch that I'm aware of:

1) You need to enable JassHelper in the Trigger Editor for triggers to work properly. (It used to be on by default but devs disabled it for some reason)

2) Some HD graphics may have issues related to Special Effects and Animations. (It sounds like this doesn't apply to you at all)

3) Certain menus may not work properly, like Unit-Type fields for Summon abilities. This can be fixed using Control + D (raw data mode) and relying on rawcodes.

4) Imported assets can get "corrupted" and stop working. Saving the map often (make separate backups!) and saving as a folder is highly recommended to help with this. (Saving the map as a folder is an awesome new addition that you should use regardless)

5) Variables can become unset and lose their "variable type", causing any triggers that rely on them to break despite the triggers appearing as fine. I think this has been around for a while now. Seems to only happen when importing triggers from another map and can be fixed without any damage if you're careful enough.

That being said, going for a working 1.31 patch where you can get the best of both worlds is probably ideal if you don't care about the newest toys as much (1.31 has most of the new toys anyway). Perhaps ask someone on the Hive Discord if they would be so kind as to assist you in setting up 1.31.

Last edited:
Level 1
It sounds like you're have a hardware problem. Old pc? What's your operating system?

Also, what was wrong with the latest patch (Reforged)? All of it's issues, although annoying, aren't enough to prevent you from making a map. The additions to the Trigger Editor far outweigh these issues in my opinion.

Here's the issues in the latest patch that I'm aware of:

1) You need to enable JassHelper in the Trigger Editor for triggers to work properly. (It used to be on by default but devs disabled it for some reason)
2) HD graphics will have issues related to Special Effects and Animations. (Sounds like this doesn't apply to you at all)
3) Certain menus may not work properly, like Unit-Type fields for Summon abilities. This can be fixed using Control + D (raw data mode) and relying on rawcodes.
4) Imported assets can get "corrupted" and stop working. Saving the map as a folder is highly recommended to avoid this. (it's also just objectively better than the old way of saving and should be done regardless).

That being said, going for a working 1.31 patch where you can get the best of both worlds is probably ideal if you don't care about the newest toys as much (1.31 has most of the new toys anyway). Perhaps ask someone on the Hive Discord if they would be so kind as to assist you in setting up 1.31.

My pc is not high end for today's standards, but it runs most of the games, its an R7 / 1070Ti / 16GB RAM 2400 / all games installed on SSD 1TB, OS WIN 10

I didn't really like the reforged, the graphics and overall zoom / FOV did seem different from the classic version (worse in my opinion), so I just couldn't get used to it and although that version has a map editor that actually works faster, when I save the map that was created there it is not compatible with older versions, so the reforged version was not going to work for me in that sense,

I have tried once again doing a clean reinstall with 1.21b patch, worldedit seems to be working so far, even opening and closing it multiple times it is not crashing, will try importing object data and see if I have the same issues, will also see if crypt lord presents any ability animation issue during this test

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Okay, your PC sounds fine.

Anyway, the HD graphics are optional (almost nobody uses them) and FOV is adjustable from the Options menu, not to mention it's always been adjustable using triggers.

For older version compatibility there's nothing much to do there besides having multiple installs and "porting" your map to an older version. But if you want to play online with other people (BNET) then you need to be on the latest patch regardless. You can patch to 1.36 with or without buying Reforged, it's still the same client and non-Reforged players can still play with people that purchased Reforged.

But do whatever is best for you. 1.21b is ANCIENT, but if you're okay with that and fed up with troubleshooting then stick to whatever works.

Last edited:
Level 1
Okay, your PC sounds fine.

Anyway, the HD graphics are optional (almost nobody uses them) and FOV is adjustable from the Options menu, not to mention it's always been adjustable using triggers.

For older version compatibility there's nothing much to do there besides having multiple installs and "porting" your map to an older version. But if you want to play online with other people (BNET) then you need to be on the latest patch regardless. You can patch to 1.36 with or without buying Reforged, it's still the same client and non-Reforged owners can still play with people that purchased Reforged.

But do whatever is best for you. 1.21b is ANCIENT, but if you're okay with that and fed up with troubleshooting then stick to whatever works.
Yes, I did use the classic graphics option but it still looked bad, it somehow looked washed out, colors seemed saturated, maybe that was just my impression, but it made me give up the game, and the game was actually having hick ups initially, and I was already short on patience at the time, so I just uninstalled it.

Also, I rather play single player as I can't say I had enjoyable experiences with any online game, whether I was good or bad at the game it always proven to be stressful and unmotivating for me, so for the sake of my mental and spiritual health I rather play offline and just enjoy the cool graphics and creating custom fun units.