• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

World Tree Scenery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Tried to make an artistic terrain but it's just that I'm still a noob at terraining thus I would like to have some feedbacks from you guys. ~
attachment.php

I hope I'm not that bad for a noob. :p

Attachments

• World Tree View.PNG
    World Tree View.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 572
Level 14
Not bad at all. I would suggest a couple things though.

Since you used some rocks with high quality textures I would recommend doing the same with your trees and logs and stumps.

I like that the world tree is in the background, but it looks very lonely back there. You can give it some depth and make it seem very large and far away if you add some details around it. If you add some small trees around it and something else in the background it could really add to this.

I would also think about adding a couple small rocks to the pointy outcropping so it isn't so sharp looking. (I'm sure you already know this, but just in case. You can move doodads up and down with Ctrl+Page Up and Ctrl+Page Down)

I'm sure others will have some better advice than me though. I don't do any artistic terraining like a lot of them on this forum. I'm more of a playable terrain kind of guy.

Last edited:
Level 11
The path on which the two heroes stand seems a bit flat to me, for being a path in a forest.
You can add a realistic touch to your terrain with raising/lowering the terrain with the smallest and second smallest brush and then using the "plateau" brush on the smallest setting and brush with a few strokes here and there over your prepared terrain.

You can also add a dynamic to trees by changing the "max roll angle" to ~5-25 degrees. That will change the vertical alignment of the trees corresponding to the terrain they're standing on just a bit.

Your placement of doodads is quite nice actually.

Level 22
I tried to follow your wonderful suggestions. ~
Added some trees around the World Tree, added some fog, added dynamic to some trees, tried to make the path not so flat-looking (I hope it's noticeable) and HQ Tree Models. I hope I've made some improvements.
attachment.php

And I didn't expect I would get some positive feedbacks, Thanks guys. :D

Attachments

• World Tree View.PNG
    World Tree View.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 548

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Definitely remove the TC from the unit models.

Instead of using a preset sky that isn't affected by the fog, you should probably go for a stormsphere tinted to 0/0/0. It will make it easier to play with lighting.

Also, why is the screen so small? That can't be your native resolution. Either way, it leaves no room for details that would drastically help sell the scenery better.

Level 22
Definitely remove the TC from the unit models.
May I ask what's TC?
Instead of using a preset sky that isn't affected by the fog, you should probably go for a stormsphere tinted to 0/0/0. It will make it easier to play with lighting.
Right, I'll go for it.
Also, why is the screen so small? That can't be your native resolution. Either way, it leaves no room for details that would drastically help sell the scenery better.
I don't know, I took the screenshot from World Editor.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. ~ :D

Level 36
Ah, a fresh breath to the Terrain Board.

Welcome, welcome! Stay a while and listen ;)

There's not really an awful lot to add here on top of what my fellow terrainers
have already stated, but there are a few things I'd like to address. For starters,
this is a very decent first terrain, especially after the update. If it wasn't said,
I'll say this much: Never use standard Blizzard trees in Scenic Terraining.

I don't know, I kind of like the sky as it is, and there are more galling parts of the terrain
that need more immediate attention. Like the foreground. Chaosy said the terrain would
look better with custom tiles, and while custom tiles can work wonders for some terrains,
that's not always the case. What is the case, though, is that a good terrainer uses
the tiles in combination with doodads to make either exalt the other. What your terrain
needs before anything else is more love for the foreground, small doodads like bushes,
flowers, rocks and grass needs to be placed around. I recommend this thread for that.
You could also replace the trees with the trees in that pack, it'd improve the terrain
immensely.

I would also suggest you add some branches and stuff to the actual world tree, to make
it seem more like an actual tree. But I guess that'd be above your skill level at the
moment, so I won't press the matter :)

Level 22
For starters,
this is a very decent first terrain, especially after the update.
Why, thank you, sir! This thread has motivated me to go further with terraining. :D

If it wasn't said,
I'll say this much: Never use standard Blizzard trees in Scenic Terraining.
I shall keep that in mind. ~

And thanks again for the very constructive feedback, I'll keep trying to improve my skill level!

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Part of the problem is also that the foreground takes up nearly half the screen and is pretty much just flat ground and tiles.

What people mostly struggle with when they're starting out is a good motif. When you're still wet behind the ears, it helps to pick out some concept art or photos and try to recreate it.

Don't go for your Bohemian Rhapsody on your first try, but something that looks good and can be semi-easily portrayed. Landscapes and stuff look universally nice, and is an easy first target.

Take e.g. something like this and use as a reference frame for proportions and angle. Then create something unique from it.

Default warcraft trees' base looks bad in general, try to lower it with ctrl+page down. I saw you tried to cover it with shrubbery, which works.
The zone behind the tree looks blank, I would add something, but it's your choice.
As someone mentioned, the terrain looks too flat at the road.
Also, 'activate windows' and 'game view settings' look funny

Status
Not open for further replies.