• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] World Of Warcraft - The Dark Portal (Map Construction)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi there everyone, I am currently working on a map that I belive will have lots of potential and I am looking for
people who are interested in being a part of this project as it will take too long for me to complete on my own
and it will force me to give it up.

Below is the general idea in which I hope the map to work - Storyline

There will be five Factions The Alliance, The Horde, The Naga, The Undead Scourge and the Buring Legion. The Burning Legion will be the only Faction that can not be played by players.
The goal of this map is to eventually battle your way to the Dark Portal were you will ether Capture or Close it depending on which Faction you are, The Alliance, Horde and Naga's Main
Objective is to capture the Dark Portal while the Undead Scourge will strive to Close the Dark Portal perminatly. The Burning Legion initually have control of the Dark Portal and will
use it to summon demons to bolster their forces and to defend it. There will be a number of optional quests for each Faction and in some cases two factions can join forces to complete a
quest but once completed each Faction for themselves. E.G (The Alliance can join Forces with the Horde to Defeat the Undead Scourge and Lich King)

The Alliance and Horde contain all the races from World Of Warcraft even the Pandaren.

I would like help in my map as it will take ages if I was to do it all myself and I think that by having a few
people working on it will allow the map to be more of a success. If you are interested in helping with this map
and you're capable at excelling in one of the areas below please feel free to PM me with your skills and I will
send you the current map and Some descriptions on my intentions.

- Modeler: The game would be a lot cooler to play if units of the Pandaren were in it as well as heroes such
as King Varian Wrynn, Genn Greymane human and Worgen Form, Aysa Cloudsinger Ragnaros, Kael'thas (Corrupted), Zul'jin, Supremus, King Ymiron, Sindragosa etc.
If you know how to model and can make models of units mentioned above then it would be a pleasure to have your skill....

- Al Editor: Custom Al's would be required to get each faction running smoothly and if you're good at this or enjoy
it then feel free to joing in by PM'ing me.

- Trigger Editor: This is by far the most crutial and will require someone with a broad knowlage base on triggers
as they will get really complex for the map. If you know your way around triggers with your eyes closed and you're interested
then your input would be much appreciated as the game will not work with out imput.

- Terrain Editor: I'm sure I have this one covered thoroughly as it's my speciality but it's always good to have other opinions to
make the map even better than it is, if you are keen then once again just PM me.

- Object Editor: I have already done most of the object editing and therefore would not need much more editing on it, how ever
if you're good at creating custom unique Abilities then your services would also be required as playing with the standard
Warcraft 3 Abilities gets boring. This is probably the second important thing to triggers....

- Lastly Sound Editor: New sounds will most likely be required and if you can do it then that will be beneficial to the maps success.

Credit will be split equally to everyone who is involved as it would be unfair to thank one person more when every small detail makes the map work well.

Screen Shots:

216850-albums5892-picture62473.jpg

216850-albums5892-picture62472.jpg

216850-albums5892-picture62471.jpg

216850-albums5892-picture62470.jpg

Level 4
I forgot to put the Quests in....Here there are

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
| FACTION | MAIN QUESTS |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| ALLIANCE | Gain Control Of The Dark Portal Before The Horde Does. |
| HORDE | Gain Control Of The Dark Portal Before The Alliance Does. |
| NAGA | Gain Control Of The Dark Portal And Esscort Illidan Safley Through it. |
| UNDEAD SCOURGE | Close the Dark Portal. |
| BURNING LEGION | Defend And Keep Control Of The Dark Portal Until All Enemies are Destroyed. |
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________|

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
| FACTION | OPTIONAL QUESTS |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| ALLIANCE | Defeat - (Illidan, Lich King, Deathwing) - Ragnaros, Kael'Thas, Zul'jin, Kel'Thuzad, King Ymiron, Sindragosa. |
| HORDE | Defeat - (Illidan, Lich King, Deathwing) - Ragnaros, Kael'Thas, Zul'jin, Kel'Thuzad, King Ymiron, Sindragosa. |
| NAGA | Capture Maiev Shadowsong. Recruit Supremus To Fight For You. Aid Deathwing And Convince Him to Become Allies. |
| UNDEAD SCOURGE | Recruit King Ymiron And Sindragosa To Join Your Cause. Resurrect The Dead To Overwelm Your Enemies. |
| BURNING LEGION | Defeat Illidan Stromrage And The Lich King. Begin The Reign Of Chaos. |
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________|

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Sadly, I have to agree about the terrain. It's just too generic. If you really want to get people's attention with the screenies, you need to kick it up a notch. Take a step higher than the blizzard doodads and textures. I'd recommend you to use Fingolfin's pine tree model and his textures located here. Also, you should add small details to the terrain, just eye candy, such as: random crates, fences, tower doodads, pier doodads, a graveyard somewhere, hay stacks, fountains/wells (this one goes well with the house model) and some houses around them (use this model for the house, it looks better). Finally, do NOT use blizzard cliffs, they are the ugliest thing you could add. Use the raise/lower tool + rock textures to make the cliffs look better. And, something optional, add custom GUI spells to the heroes and make them feel unique.

EDIT: Make the land around the Dark Portal corrupted, did the humans build a city around it?. Sink it in the ground, add some outland/underground textures and lots of rocks and blight. Finally, some demon-ish obelisks and dead bodies to make it look complete.

Level 4
Thanks for the constructive criticism.

I must admit I am new to all this stuff and I have not learnt all the tricks yet.

Truth-full the Screen-shots are a bit lame and I have done a lot of changes to the map since. In my opinion the map looks pretty good but again to everyone else it may be terrible.

@bloodbath5557 - The map is intended to be a Role Playing Game, allowing players to have a World Of Warcraft felling and storyline while playing the classical Warcraft 3 style which is the game we have all come to love.

@Chaosy - Once again I have not learnt to add other types of terrain and I do wish that the graphics of the terrain were better, I was trying to get the original Warcraft 3 feeling back as I am sure many map makers have done away with Blizzards standard setup. Thanks for the offer for the triggering help but unfortunately someone has kindly opted to help with that and most of the coding, how ever it's good to have different views and opinions about these things. You would not happen to do modelling and icons?

@DSgamer - As I said above, the ugly looking cliffs are the original terrain features, how ever I see where your coming form and am considering changing them. About the Dark Portal, I was careful on how I split the Demons a side form the undead and decided to keep the blight to the undead giving it an undead feeling and as for the demons I tried to give it a destructive feeling. The Undead and Demons have two types of destructiveness and I though to try separate them as there are Five World Of Warcraft Factions. I think I should add those demon-ish obelisks, thanks for the pointer.

Thanks for the pointers guys, I will take each on into consideration and work on getting the map looking good. If by any chance you want in on the project message me so I can send you the map to see.......

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Well, I'd help but I'm already bust with 2 other projects and I feel a 3rd one would just end up in me going crazy and doing rather bad work. Anyway, can't wait to see new screenies of the updated map. On a side note, instead of blight you could add some underground dirt (the blue one) or oultand dirt, it will help you create a darker feeling, the type demos would normally imply. Also, I'm not sure you know this so I will say it, you can download JassNewGeneration WE. It has a lot of benefits, you can easily colorize tooltip text, also, it allows you to select up to 16 texture tiles regardless of their type (only, the cliff tiles need to be added from "advanced > modify tileset"). It also let's you place unlimited amounts of doodads and destructibles. AND! you can scale the map to a size of 480x480.

Level 4
DSgamer - Thank's I was actually informed by someone last night about the Advantages of JassNewGeneration WE and I have just downloaded it and going to set it up. Strangely I have not hit the limit with doodads and destructibles and I have filled out the map nicely with it. It's good to know there is know limit.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

The Terrain....its new so i understand if it is generic...i observe most people like a game not by its terrain but the FUN and ENJOYMENT they feel when playing a game...my tips...make it FUNNY and easy to understand...

Easy to understand, I agree but don't simplify it too much as it will get a bit monotonous and repetitive. Post some new info/screenies soon so we can provide more feedback :)

Level 4
@ DSgamer - Understood, But I have been working on the map so that people will find it more appealing at first sight. As soon as I get a chance I will add some new screen shots and make them look a lot better - again the ones above are a bit boring and I just did it to put screen shots on. Remember that it is still a map in progress and better yet it is my first, so I think in my eyes I am doing ok for now.

@ neo_sluf - Thank you, I thought of keeping the map as close to Warcraft 3 as I could even though I was adding Wow Models and Characters amd storyline. In the end it is still going to be played in a similar way to the classic Warcraft 3.

Level 4
Ok well here are some newer screen shots. I hope they are not as bad as the first ones as I have tried to make them look better. Your feed back on what you see will be interesting to read.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/216850-albums5922-picture62757.jpg

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/216850-albums5922-picture62753.jpg

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/216850-albums5922-picture62754.jpg

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/216850-albums5922-picture62755.jpg

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/216850-albums5922-picture62756.jpg

I think it's safe to say the map is getting better and as soon as all the triggers are in I will be asking for game testers.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Hmm, It's progressing but you are still using blizzard cliffs! Anyway, you should play around with sizes, tints and pitch angles of doodads, again, there are tutorials on these topics here on the hive. I'm a bit short on time now so I can't point them out. Keep on working!

Level 4
Where would I get other cliffs and how would I replace the current ones in my map with out completely altering the landscape?

What is wrong with the classical Blizzard Cliffs? :D

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

They look awful, you shouldn't even use them, just use rock texture of raised landscape and add some pathing blockers, that words a lot better and is more visually pleasing

Level 4
Ok how would I do that now as I have done the whole landscape.

That means that I will have to redo everything?

Level 10
To be honest, I have no problem with blizzard cliffs, since I dont think they are ugly, but if you change the cliffs to what they want raise and lower, you will have to redo most of your work with blizzard cliffs

Level 4
CroMoX - To be honest I really had no intention of changing everything, The idea of the map is to give the classic Warcraft 3 feel with the World Of Warcraft Lore and characters etc. Just like the classic Warcraft 3 - Role Playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.