• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World of Warcraft RPG Terrain

What do you think is better?

• Hell, make continents

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Mmm, i am not sure

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Countries for the iwn!

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hello, i need the terrain of world of warcraft(or at least a little like wow)

for the map http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=552808

i've been thinking in make each map one continent, but also i got the idea, would be better terrained if i do it in countries or zones(leveling zones, kinda for levels 1-30, 25-40 etc)but maybe people fastidate or something, what do u think is better?

the poll closes in 30 days.

This might help for the terrain making, but if u want to terrain please ask me cuz i have to send u the map
http://www.kaldorei.com/worldmap/
http://mapwow.com/

Level 15
Umm, there's already an entire team, filled with the best of each aspect of modding, entirely devoted to Wc3:WoW. And they aren't even 50% done. I don't mean to crush your hopes, but, you will not be able to complete this by yourself, you need a team.

~Deathcom3s

Level 15
actually, i am doing everything cool, i have a friend who is helping me in skills, HappyTauren and Elfsilver Lord who are helping me with models, and the map speed is high enough to think it will be done in maybe one or two months, i see continents are winning so ill start with Eastern Kingdoms, once i got it superbalanced and cool, ill make Kalimdor, then Outlands and then northrend. I need terraining, thats the only problem, and i don't need WoW perfect and exactly terrain, but i need something that look like wow, as example ill remove those places without creeps, those which just are there in wow to kill space, and use the huge space in all the map. In fact, ill optimize the wow map. And if countries win, ill just start from elwynn, and then westfall, etc etc... ill make leveling areas, also will be RLLY hard to level up, maybe u have to kill 1000 wolfs, spiders, boars and those crappy monsters to get level 10, just like WoW, but some harder cuz WoW looks like it become fun, u can get 50 in 1 day(24 hours)

Level 15

i will have a alpha in 1 or 2 months! as example there are 140 quests just in elwynn forest, do you think it will took me 1 or 2 months? make quests, monsters and items will take me maybe 1 year or 2 or more dunno, but i will launch an alpha with some items, not all of them...
also Craka is alone, as u said. And some WoW adicts friends are doing all quests in wow and writing what u have to do and what they say, quests in wow aren't hard to make with triggers GUI.

NEW IDEA
Making WoW in continents would result IMPOSIBLE to make, i've been trying, but u get 1% of map for each country, in fact NOTHING, so i've thinked too in countries, but would be really fastidating, save,load,save,load,save,load... wtf ppl would quit instantly, so ill make a custom map, a new world, like azeroth, but not azeroth really. Also i think i will make northrend, cuz isn't really big. what do u think people?

sorry my english really sucks :S

Last edited:
Level 36
If your World of Warcraft project will be done in 2 months then the map is going to be really bad the other project with craka J he was doing his project for 1or 2 years and he isnt with a team!!!

Not exactly true. Even a map the size of WC3-WoW shouldn't take any longer than a few months. Time isn't a factor, it's the skill of the designers and how the map is made.

I will make an example with terrain,
You take my terrains for example, which are pretty damn good (in all modesty), and I spend about half an hour to an hour on each.
But there are some people who spend hours on terrains only to abandon them or submit them and let them die out because they didn't work out the way they wanted them to.
This is a lot like WC3-WoW, it's basically dead because people were spending a really long time on it and had no real support, and it didn't really turn out to be as easy as they probably expected. So it died.
However unlike WC3-WoW, in a terrain you don't really care that much that you wasted 3 or 4 hours, but on a large project like WC3-WoW, you are really pissed off that you wasted months on it. So hopefully, for the sake of the WC3-WoW team, it will be revived.

Level 34
Glad to see you took my advice! : )

I would do sections. I voted not sure, but looking back I would vote zones.

Also, the reason wc3:WoW is taking so long/is on hold so much, is because of the systems and how accurate they are trying to make it. They have things like a mail system, and an Entering Combat/Exiting Combat system. They have a few arrow key/camera systems, and a very well made save system. The terrain is supposed to be almost the same. I doubt Lightskin is going to worry about the accuracy of a tree placement, or a hill. Just the general idea is all he wants (I think).

Also how are you doing quests? And how are you doing Weapons?

The reason why Wc3:WoW is taking long is because it has a bunch of people. Instead of assigning them different tasks, they kind of do it step by step.

I think that a lot of the members of Wc3:WoW don't spend hours and hours a day working on a project.

If you do, then you should probably get done real fast. If you are knowledged of WE especially.

Level 34
Gilles, I imagine he is probably doing it the WC3 way, but is that wrong? As I said before, most maps like this don't try to recreate WoW as much as to replicate it in the bnet RPG style.
Are you referring to quests? The normal wc3 quest system is not multiplayer. You can only make quests for everyone. It's better to make a custom quest system.

For items, wc3 is the easiest, but kind of lame for rpgs. A bigger inventory is a good idea.

Level 15
true true, Gilles is right Void, i don't requiere an EXACTLY map of wow, i just wanted a similar one, i have made a custom map, for now... maybe that change later, maybe not... about items, i am working on inventory. and they will be almost the same as wow, maybe i won't put junk items, like broken tusk or wolf paw, those useless items, just weapons or armor etc

but if anyone is interested in making continents of wow(cuz its winning) ill be glad. i just made the custom map to improvizate, so i can continue working :)

Last edited:
Level 15
Thats nice to hear, well can i see some of your terrain skills? :)

i need something JUST LIKE wow, i need these continents: Eastern Kingdoms, Kalimdor, and MAYBE outlands.

With continents i mean Maps, kinda a map with the continent Kalimdor, another with Eastern K.

just PM me, MSN or reply this :p

Last edited:
Level 36
Are you referring to quests? The normal wc3 quest system is not multiplayer. You can only make quests for everyone. It's better to make a custom quest system.

For items, wc3 is the easiest, but kind of lame for rpgs. A bigger inventory is a good idea.

I don't think you understand what I mean. I'm saying that the system doesn't have to be at all like WoW, and the game can use the WC3 quest system like a normal RPG, seeing as there will only be 12 players in the game.

As for the inventory, I personally hate inventory systems that give like 20 slots and equip slots etc... they just aren't WC3. But the idea of having a second invulnerable "backpack" unit is good to me.

Level 34
I don't think you understand what I mean. I'm saying that the system doesn't have to be at all like WoW, and the game can use the WC3 quest system like a normal RPG, seeing as there will only be 12 players in the game.

As for the inventory, I personally hate inventory systems that give like 20 slots and equip slots etc... they just aren't WC3. But the idea of having a second invulnerable "backpack" unit is good to me.
I don't think you follow me. The wc3 quest system does not support multiplayer. If you add a quest to one player, you add it to all of them. You either have to make a custom one, or make people get all the same quests.

I like having an inventory for items, quest items, and weapons. One idea I've had is to have a hero unit be your equip system. When you pick up a certain weapon, it checks for a similar weapon on your other "equip" unit. If you don't it sends the item to the equip unit. That way it frees up your own inventory. Then you need to trigger it to give the stats to your hero. You could also have another be your quest item inventory, but I would just use triggers to store any quest items.

Level 36

i will have a alpha in 1 or 2 months! as example there are 140 quests just in elwynn forest, do you think it will took me 1 or 2 months? make quests, monsters and items will take me maybe 1 year or 2 or more dunno, but i will launch an alpha with some items, not all of them...
also Craka is alone, as u said. And some WoW adicts friends are doing all quests in wow and writing what u have to do and what they say, quests in wow aren't hard to make with triggers GUI.

NEW IDEA
Making WoW in continents would result IMPOSIBLE to make, i've been trying, but u get 1% of map for each country, in fact NOTHING, so i've thinked too in countries, but would be really fastidating, save,load,save,load,save,load... wtf ppl would quit instantly, so ill make a custom map, a new world, like azeroth, but not azeroth really. Also i think i will make northrend, cuz isn't really big. what do u think people?

sorry my english really sucks :S

By the way, Northrend is about as big as the other two continents.

I don't think you follow me. The wc3 quest system does not support multiplayer. If you add a quest to one player, you add it to all of them. You either have to make a custom one, or make people get all the same quests.

That's what I just said!! :grr face:
The quests don't have to be for one person only, they can follow the traditional WC3 quest system, adding it to everybody, and having everybody work together to finish it. It works better for a game like WC3 because nobody wants to load every game which quests they had done before, and nobody wants to or can (if they're not host) spend the kind of time required to do multiple WoW-style quests in a bnet game.

Level 9
I don't know if this is related enough to the topic but he's a map I made a long time ago for a WoW map I never got around to working on...

Hope it can be used as a refrence of some sorts... the continent/zone layout is dead on as I went through extensive efforts to make sure it fit the WoW maps.

Attachments

• A PvP Server.w3x
    1.6 MB · Views: 148
Level 15
Omg!!! man, thats purely helpfull, so, do u want to give it to me so i can complete the map? This map is EXTREM, in fact, is wat i wanted to make X_X actually i love ur creation, if u do this i will see obligated to put u in the team, and make a custom wep armor and shield :) +Rep

Status
Not open for further replies.