• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World of Warcraft® Icons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after some short searching I managed to find a guy that was able to pull most of the World of Warcraft® icons from the .mpq files.
There are a lot of icons in here I didn't even know existed in the game.
Seems Blizzard Entertainment® made a shit load and only used like 50% of them.
They look awesome. Because they are a Blizzard Entertainment® resource they don't mind if you put them in your games, as long as they are SC2 maps, or anything else that has to do with Blizzard Entertainment®.
Obviously taking these icons and using them in a game made by another company would be breaking their copywrite laws.
Blizzard Entertainment® tends to be very lenient with their copywrite laws, as long as you (and/or) especially another company are not making money from their content, which they have worked tirelessly to produce for your enjoyment.
The link below will redirect you to Megaupload which contains a 91.74 MB zip folder of all the icons I have gotten my hands onto. Please note that the reason it is not uploaded here is because the max filesize is 50.00 MB.
Please give full credit to them if you use these resources in your SC2 map.
If anyone feels I am breaking the law by posting these on this here website, please inform me and supply me with proof that it is illegal to use these images and I will happily remove them.

Icons found here.

Edit: Download at your own risk.

-Risp

Blizzard Entertainment is a trademark or registered trademark of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. All rights reserved.

©2004 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. World of Warcraft, Warcraft and Blizzard Entertainment are trademarks or registered trademarks of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.

©1998 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. StarCraft and Blizzard Entertainment are trademarks or registered trademarks of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.

Last edited:
Level 25
I don't think it's illegal to use these icons in Starcraft 2 (from what I've heard, we are permitted to use WoW models, same should go for icons yes?), but sharing them here, at The Hive, is actually illegal (breaking the EULA, I think? Someone should check it).

I personally don't think it matters or actually give a damn, but still...

Level 27
They didn't said they approve or disapprove the use of their models, and DSG said that if they didn't said no that doesn't mean yes.

Oh, and could you show the Blizz's email reply that you use WoW icons in Starcraft 2, please?
Since if they actually do allow that, it means you got their permission.

The icons are fine.
I'm sharing them in a StarCraft 2 and WarCraft III community, which just happen to both be Blizzard games.
If it was illegal to use their stuff in their games, they would have filtered the many many many games published on SC2 that contain ripped models.
And no, I'm not showing you anything.
The email contains personal information regarding the topic, and cutting out all that stuff will make it look fake anyways.

Level 19
Lol. How about asking Blizzard whether they were asked?
I find that to be the easiest solution, and I don't think he's lying, because I don't think any user who spent a long time here and made such an explanatory post would actually want to get into trouble just like that without actually getting proof.
But still, lawfully, maybe a PM picture with words censored would be nice:)

Well if I can find it somewhere in the depths of my inbox if an admin would like to see it I'm sure it wouldn't be such a big deal.

But anyways if an Admin was that fearful of breaching some copywrite laws then the best thing to do would be to simply remove the link.

At no time have I argued that it was a wise thing to do. The topic of my email was about putting WoW icons in their game, not putting them up for grabs on a website. In that regard, I have no proof of anything. It's simply a guess.

But think about it this way; if Blizzard really didn't want people putting their content on the net, A: they wouldn't make it so easy to get from them, B: they would have released an official statement considering they has been much uproar about this topic, and C: they would crack down on the thousands of sites which host their content.

Anyways, I suppose I should update my main post, so I will.

Level 37
Too many, too many icons!

legolas2.jpg

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Currently the state of this site on game rips is not too clear. We allow maps in the maps section to have WoW models (where anyone can extract them) yet do not allow the models themselves directly. Thus we are both supporting and opposing the porting of WoW models and content which is not a sensible approach.

I also remember blizzard permiting the use of WoW icons in WC3 as a lot of them were from WC3 or just recolours of WC3 ones. Ofcourse this may have changed with all the content expansions but I am guessing it still applies. Infact the icon section has quite a lot of WoW icons (just not the newer ones). The rule permitting new WoW icons seems to have been degraded and curropted over time though.

If you use these icons outside of SC2 or WC3, (or any other game they published) they would seek legal action towards you.
If you don't, they won't.
They're Blizzard, not the big bad lawyer wolf.

I'm pretty sure they've got more on their hands (like multi-million dollar WoW private servers, etc) to deal with.

Anyways, use them if you want to.
The only thing I'm concerned with atm is whether or not THW wants me to actually post them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.