• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World Editor wont start up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Greetings, HIVE community!
I am seeking help for solving technical problem which I've encountered with the World Editor. The problem is in the title - I cannot launch the "World Editor.exe" application. Nothing happens, though it shows up for a very brief moment in the Task Manager, processes tab but that's all. I looked everywhere, tried to find something close to my problem, but nothing so far.

The installation file of the game is downloaded from the Blizzard website, I also noticed, that the game clients are now "unified". Looks like Reign Of Chaos and Frozen Throne are merged together into one single installation client. Last time I played, I had to download 2 game clients, for RoC and FT, then update them through Battle.net to the last 1.26 version. When I had 1.26 version, the World Editor worked fine.

First I thought the cause of this problem might lie in the game's language I chose, so I reinstalled the game and picked the enUS language. Still doesn't work. Next step I tried to install older .NET Frameworks (3.0, 3.5) - still no result.

Then in search for solution I stumbled upon one thread in this section: World Editor Won't Open - Needs a CD

Though I do not have any popping up error messages, asking me to enter CD-Key, I've noticed that OP's picture of the game folder contains more files than my own. For example, I don't have [WorldEditor.exe] file with the blank icon. Perhaps I cannot launch World Editor because of some missing files? But how do I get them, if installator does not come with them and there's no way to download game clients like in the older days?

I've also tried to open World Editor through SharpCraft World Editor Extended program, but still nothing.

My OS - Windows 7 64 bit

If someone know what's the source of the problem, please, write your solution!

P.S.
Sorry for bad grammar, English is not my native language.

It might be an issue from upgrading from 1.26 directly. A few things to try:
  • Restart your computer and see if it helps
  • Check if you have two installations on your computer (sometimes people have copies of wc3 installed on their computer). If so, try opening World Editor.exe on your other installation and see if that works.
  • If none of that is the case, then I would recommend backing up all your personal wc3 files (like your tools, maps, models, etc.) into a separate folder, deleting wc3, and then doing a clean install from the installer on battle.net. Make sure you have your CD keys ready if you reinstall.

Level 2
Hello, PurgeandFire!

- I tried to restart computer after installation and after re-installation. No effect.
- I'm pretty sure I don't have an extra copy of the game, because last time I played this game it was on a different computer.
- I tried clean installing, perhaps if I had an old installers, maybe it could work out, but I'm not sure if I can get those anymore, it's been replaced by this new one merged together.

Level 2
Yes, PurgeandFire, english language installed right now.

Attachment with the contains of the game folder should be below.

Attachments

• warcraft3gamefolder.PNG
    warcraft3gamefolder.PNG
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,334
Level 2
I'd like to update and bump this thread.

So, I've downloaded another version of the Warcraft 3 game from the blizzard web site. It's called PTR version, I'm not really sure what is it, but I had an option to download it.
In this version, World Editor works just fine, but looks like game itself crashes randomly sometimes and that's not the maps I made, that's just the usual campaign/melee maps. It's really strange. I wouldn't consider this as a solution to my problem, if someone has something to add up here or suggest an idea - please, feel free to do it here.

I'd like to update and bump this thread.

So, I've downloaded another version of the Warcraft 3 game from the blizzard web site. It's called PTR version, I'm not really sure what is it, but I had an option to download it.
In this version, World Editor works just fine, but looks like game itself crashes randomly sometimes and that's not the maps I made, that's just the usual campaign/melee maps. It's really strange. I wouldn't consider this as a solution to my problem, if someone has something to add up here or suggest an idea - please, feel free to do it here.

The PTR is the Public Test Realm where Blizzard puts upcoming patches for players to test. In your last screenshot you appear to be running 1.29.2 (latest on bnet) and it looks fine. To me it seems the World Editor can't find War3.mpq for some reason (in 1.30 PTR there are no game MPQs), but your game works so it's odd. Try updating your registry to include your installation path for 1.29.2 (like here).

Level 2
Hello!

TriggerHappy, I've tried to do as you suggested but that didn't solve my problem. The editor still doesn't start up.
I also would like to note, that the executable of the PTR version is almost twice bigger in size than the regular version one:

World Editor v1.29.2 - 5,97 MB (6 270 440 bytes)
World Editor PTR version - 10,9 MB (11 532 264 bytes)

Also, PTR version does not have any files with *.mpq extensions.

PurgeandFire, that's is one of the first things I tried to do, sorry that I did not mentioned it in the first post. That is also did not solve any problem.

Just in case, I put up screenshots of my registry below

Attachments

• war3Reg.png
    war3Reg.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 352
  • PTRReg.png
    PTRReg.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 436
  • worldeditReg.png
    worldeditReg.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 367
PTR uses CASC files so MPQ are now away.

In regard to the matter, the only solution I can come up with is to uninstall both versions then do a cleaning of registry and stuffs then reinstall. When you reinstall, download from the website and don't use your existing installer, as they might have been bugged somehow.

Level 2
Daffa the Mage, thanks for the advice, sadly it didn't work out for me.

Well, I guess I'll just stick to the PTR version and wait when it will be released.
Or perhaps find old versions somewhere on the internet with 1.26 patch.

Level 4
I'm going to bump this thread as I am having the same problem. World Editor just won't launch anymore. The only thing I can think of is that I may have messed with something when I extracted a map from the CASC Archive, but that shouldn't have changed anything inside the archive if I just extracted it, right?

Level 4
CASC won't let me access stuff with them open, but i may have opened them while casc was open. Thats probably it. Is there an uninstall function in the Warcraft III folder anymore? Or can I just do it from add or remove programs? I know some stuff gets picky.

Status
Not open for further replies.