• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World editor Mobile?

I wouldn't exactly call this boasting. It's some technology experimentation.

Some people messaged me about it on discord and said that my rewrite+port of WC3 on Android done in this way had worse performance and was less fully featured than if they would simply get a Windows virtual machine on android and use it to run the Warcraft 3 game.

So if your goal is literally blizzard's world editor, maybe the same would apply. The best tool might be the thing itself.

Otherwise if you want new/different software that would work on mobile, Rivsoft used to have a fantastic website that could browse unit data in WC3, allowed you to upload a custom map and then view models in it or view the terrain of the map using Ghostwolf's WebGL viewer, and maybe some other features. But these things have no business model. The guy eventually took his thing offline. The code exists on github but noobdy else ever bothered to host it that I know of.

For me, it always felt a bit like the "mobile" technology ecosystem exists to exploit us. Assuming other people would tend to feel the same, they might not be very interested in building Warcraft 3 editor for android because anybody doing that kin dof work on Android would make more money exploiting the user than by creating a novel technology. I think that Activision's work in this space is an example. They have a huge following on discord for "Arclight Rumble" game that is based on the idea of selling you the Jaina, or selling you the Grom Hellscream, to get your money before you would realize that kind of game design is a scam.

So, in that way, the motivation in society for any human to build a mobile Warcraft 3 map editor is going away, because that's not the economically most viable way to exploit a mobile user. Instead, the way to exploit a mobile user is a game like ARclight Rumble.

One way I have tried to solve the problem is by buying Librem 5 from the puri.sm website, but that is not necessarily going to work for non-programmer users.

Here is a link to a thread about it:

They mention at the bottom of the thread that the site is gone now, but in theory the code used to create the site is here: