• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wooden Cabin

This bundle is marked as awaiting update. A staff member has requested changes to it before it can be approved.
Made this cabin from scratch in Blender. This is my first model that I ever made from scratch, so there may be issues with it that I'm not aware of (also the file size and poly count is a bit on the higher side.... 😅). There is one version with Skyrim textures and one version with in-game textures.

Can be used as a doodad (not animated).

• 06.06.2022 - Uploaded.
  • 06.06.2022 - Fixed UV-mapping issue.
  • 06.06.2022 - Added chimney and windows, changed roof texture and added particles.
Contents

FGM Cabin In-Game Textures (Model)

FGM Cabin Windows Chimney in-game textures (Model)

FGM Cabin with Windows and Chimney (Model)

FGM Wooden Cabin (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
For such a simple, yet probably useful model there are way too many polygons. 7000+ or even more than 14000 polygons is way too much for such a simple doodad model. Please try to reduce the polygon count to around 900 and if you can add more varied...
I think it's too highpoly to use in Warcraft 3 even with Reforged Graphics.
As impressive as this model appears, I must agree. I first thought whether this was for Reforged.
Besides, there are some models on XGM.guru that though do not feature buildings blowing up, they offer quite an insight on what FeelsGoodMan may do.
I could only provide these two references because they are hard to find without a long search on the site's WarCraft III forum. No joke.
1.) house
2.) Barn
P.S. XGM.guru is a Russian site, so you may need a translator to understand the description.

Last edited:
I think it's too highpoly to use in Warcraft 3 even with Reforged Graphics.
As impressive as this model appears, I must agree. I first thought whether this was for Reforged.
Besides, there are some models on XGM.guru that though do not feature buildings blowing up, they offer quite an insight on what you may do.
I could only provide these two references because they are hard to find without a long search on the site's WarCraft III forum. No joke.
1.) house
2.) Barn
P.S. XGM.guru is a Russian site, so you may need a translator to understand the description.
Yeah I know, this was nothing more than a first attempt to be honest. I have no hopes of ever getting this approved with this poly count or file size.

I do, or did, actually frequent xgm.guru since they have a lot of good ported models, and good special effects there.

As for what I must do, I believe cutting down polies in round objects should do it. Less segments and rings, and lower level viewports in the subdivision surface modifier. I kinda went ham without knowing the results, and then realized a bit later on. I could also probably change out a lot of the shapes with simple planes, instead of having actual volume.

It was a learning experience, and I'm sure I'll manage to make something better next time. This one will most likely go in substandard, but as a first attempt I'm happy.

Yeah I know, this was nothing more than a first attempt to be honest. I have no hopes of ever getting this approved with this poly count or file size.

I do, or did, actually frequent xgm.guru since they have a lot of good ported models, and good special effects there.

As for what I must do, I believe cutting down polies in round objects should do it. Less segments and rings, and lower level viewports in the subdivision surface modifier. I kinda went ham without knowing the results, and then realized a bit later on. I could also probably change out a lot of the shapes with simple planes, instead of having actual volume.

It was a learning experience, and I'm sure I'll manage to make something better next time. This one will most likely go in substandard, but as a first attempt I'm happy.
I made a haunted rocking chair, which had more polys than needed. So I made and uploaded a new chair with not 200 polys.
Instead of trying to cut down the polys on this beautiful cabin model, I suggest you build a new one with simpler shapes. That way, you won't have all that many polys.

Last edited:
I made a haunted rocking chair, which had more polys than needed. So I made an uploaded a new chair with not 200 polys.
Instead of trying to cut down the polys on this beautiful cabin model, I suggest you build a new one with simpler shapes. That way, you won't have all that many polys.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see what I do. I may remake it like you're suggesting, but first I'm gonna try to replace the grill in the chimney (it consists of a lot of high poly cylinders), the door knobs, and replace some of the base and roof mesh with simple planes to see how much of an impact it will have.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see what I do. I may remake it like you're suggesting, but first I'm gonna try to replace the grill in the chimney (it consists of a lot of high poly cylinders), the door knobs, and replace some of the base and roof mesh with simple planes to see how much of an impact it will have.
Grill: use a flat plain with a bestiary texture.
Knobs: use the arcane sanctum texture for another plain, which would face in your direction, akin to the "spheres" of the Arcane Sanctum. (Get someone's help with that, if you need it).
Roof and base: use the town hall, barracks, or castle texture.
If you want to make your windows realistic, use the windows on the human shipyard texture. As for the lighting, create a light source behind the windows in Magos

No disrespect, but this sure could more animations than simply the Stand.
Use Stand Upgrade First, Second, Third, Fourth, etc animations.
Animate it, so the doors open. Heck, give it the common death animation for buildings. (I recommend using Mdlvis, but look for someone with experience if you need further help.)
Use fewer but larger prisms, such as 5 large pieces to form a near-complete box (leave the gap for the doors) and a triangular prism for the roof. Use two other, smaller rectangular prisms for the chimney. Use two other ones for the door. Even the city buildings in classic are but simple meshes with fancy texture.
Forget using logs and structural beams and the beams making up the grate (use a flat plane instead). Make another skin resembling the ones you used. I recommend Photopea.com for a quick alternative to Photoshop, especially for skinning and Alpha Channels. If you want your windows to look realistic, then I may recommend using the windows from the human shipyard as a reference ( and even then, you may actually need Photoshop for this.) Color anything you don't need black or white, to reduce bytes, but the skin must be standard-sized (i.e. 64 X 64) for something like Mdlvis and Magos to register.

Make us proud.

Last edited: