• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wisp Detonate affecting Ethereal Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi all, I've looked around but can't find a solution to this seemingly unique problem.

I have a unit that I've set to ethereal using the default Ethereal (Aetl) ability.

Now, I originally wanted a Wisp's detonate spell to affect this unit and damage it, much like a summoned unit. I set the ethereal unit to "Summoned" under classification, however I found that this crashed my game. I tried again without the ethereal unit being any sort of classification, and it still crashed. So, I think I have found a bug where detonating on an ethereal unit causes a WC3 crash. Can anyone else test this and report success? If you can get it to work, please help me find a work around with making detonate do damage to an ethereal unit.

I've thought about using a dummy to summon the ethereal unit in the first place, to solve the problem of detonate doing damage, but with the crash, it's still a problem. Please help!

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
A simple trigger could handle this.

See defskulls post: AoE Damage without damege allies?

Then adjust the Conditions in the Pick Every Unit function to find targets that are Ethereal.

I also recommend using (Owner of (Triggering unit)) instead of Triggering player if you check for Ally/Enemy alliances in the Conditions. This is because Triggering player acts like a global variable which can be changed by other triggers. So if the damage dealt by the wisp is lethal and causes a trigger with the "A unit dies" Event to go off then Triggering player will change to the Owner of the Dying unit. Triggering unit doesn't suffer from this issue as it acts like a local variable which retains it's value throughout the trigger.

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
I thought you said the crash started after you adjusted the settings. Can't you just revert it back to what it originally was?

Also, you could trigger ALL of the effects of Detonate. It's not a very complicated spell.

Unit casts spell -> Pick nearby units -> Subtract mana, Dispel buffs, Damage summons/ethereals-> Kill caster

Last edited:
Level 4
Solved, kind of. I have set the ethereal unit to the Suicidal classification, and just made those units unaffected by Detonate. Now I will use the link you provided earlier to trigger the damage. Must be something going on with those spells. Not sure. Anyway, thanks for looking in!

Status
Not open for further replies.