• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[WIP] The Settlers of Catan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
The Settlers of Catan

Hi, this is my first project and i would realy want to see it in game. I have been inspiered by all the Risk games that i have played, i that is why i see potensial in this particular project :)

The Map
I want to make it as much like the board game as possible, and if you haven played it, here is the start setup :) (working on this trigger, but need help)
u place the pieces (the larger six edge pieces in the pic below) upside down and place alphabetic carboard pieces on top (not in the pic, but theese have the alphabet on one side and numbers representing dice numbers on the other) and when you have place all (wich will then be allmost randomly placed because of the alphabetic numbers and the upside down recource pieces) you turn everything around and you have the game board for this round

The point of the game is originally to gain 12 points (you get one for villages, 2 for cities and difrent from event cards...) but in the wc3 version of the game, i\we have to tweak the rules to fit better.

Here is a view of the board game. currently i need help from some guy that is pretty good on textures, so that i can get the random in my setup trigger to spawn this types of recource textures in stead of the original wc3 ones. The textures would be:
Wood
Stone
Sheep
Clay
Wheath (or some sort of farmland thing :p)
Desert (unbuildable, the one with the black piece in the pic)
soc.jpg

here is a pic of my map :) (not sure if i am going to use two islands)
View attachment 47684

thx for viewing, now i would really like input on how to do the game system (income, fighting, area takeover and such :))

soo... i am reqriuting ppl for this project.

Current possitions:

Map director - Saphire
Advanced trigger\Jass - Open
gameplay designer - Open
models and textures - Open

We all help and come with ideas to other peoples area of management

+rep on productive comment :) (And, i know i have posted one at reqriuting area, but this is the WIP thread)

Level 8
Dude thanks for the awesome project, this game pwns most other broadgames.

I would suggest putting in Settlers of Catan: Knights and Barbarians. or w/e that game made Settlers from a ok game to an awesome game. Try and make a random board function.

And the other resources is Wheat

Level 3
~Void~ - Ok, i agree, but can i change texture on them? so that they can look alike they do in the boardgame?

i have only played Knights and Barbarians once, and i cant remember the rules :S

This is my random board function i think :p if this is what you ment ^^
  • Start team 1
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -start as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set UnitGroup1 = (Units of type Circle of Power1)
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 19, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set Unit1 = (Random unit from UnitGroup1)
          • Unit Group - Remove Unit1 from UnitGroup1
          • Set Point1 = (Position of Unit1)
          • Set Random_Tile_team1 = (Random integer number between 1 and Random_Count_team1)
          • Floating Text - Create floating text that reads TextArray1[Random_Tile_team1] at Point1 with Z offset 0.00, using font size 10.00, color (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%), and 0.00% transparency
          • Environment - Change terrain type at Point1 to Tile_array_team1[Random_Tile_team1] using variation 0 in an area of size 5 and shape Square
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation( udg_Point1 )
          • Set Tile_array_team1[Random_Tile_team1] = Tile_array_team1[Random_Count_team1]
          • Set TextArray1[Random_Tile_team1] = TextArray1[Random_Count_team1]
          • Set Random_Count_team1 = (Random_Count_team1 - 1)
      • Custom script: call DestroyGroup( udg_UnitGroup1 )

Level 8
The rule book might be someone in my house Ill keep an eye out for it, but I think I remember all the rules.

There is just development cards for Science, Economy and Politics and commodities and the fucking stupid barbarian bitch.

Level 3
ok... sounds good, i would need the rules to make it work ;)
but as i said earlier, my biggest concirn at the moment is that i cant get the general idea of how to do the game in wc3...
I recon it wont be that cool if it is just the boardgame (100% turnbased) or you could just as well play it IRL :p
we need some kind of real time version of the rules, like they did with the wc3 version of Risk :)
so if annyone gets a good idea, give me the heads up :)

+rep Aschy btw ;)

Level 3
thx :)
i know, i just needed the basics so that i could start on the triggers :)
but i am actually stuck right now, i dont know how to transfer the rules into wc3. I dont know if just importing them as 100% turnbased would be that cool. I think i need to change them to work with realtime...
annyone with ideas?

Level 3
hi again, little updating time here...

Things i just finished:
  • Build Triggers
  • Fix so that when buying one road, you can only build one. same with the other two buildings ^^

Things i need input on:
  • How to do the income... :S
  • How to do the fighting
  • what should the victory conditions be?

Level 8
Well in Knights of Catan its really weird the way you can fight but I think it might actually be useful in a computer version of the map.

You use "Knights" almost the same way you would when you build settlements but they count for no points and only had 1 purpose in Knights of Catan to defend against the Barbarians. But you could "Kill" other players Knights adjacent to one of your more powerful knights they also must be connected by a road, Knights just can't leave your roads.

Level 3
sounds like a good plan :) i will look into it right now :D
+ rep Aschy
but the most pressing issue right now is that i need a way to do the income system :)
annyone have anny good ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.