• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why don't custom maps let you choose your own team color?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Just idle wondering. Are there team-color reliant triggers or something? I figure in something like DotA it's just so you don't get confused about which colors are on your team or something like that, and so you can immediately recognize that that Omniknight IS in fact an enemy and about to kill you.
But what about on something like Sunken City that, for the most part uses assets that don't really look at all similar to any of the heroes?

Level 7
iirc player color is tied to player number, which means that player 1 will always be red and player 2 blue when referring to them in triggers, unless defined otherwise. So if a map has player 9 (grey) act as the hostile AI, selecting that color in the lobby would cause issues.

Level 13
Fixed Player Settings
It is possible to design your map to not use "fixed player settings" if you want to choose your color.
I'm doing it on one of my projects with computer controlled factions.

What Tasyen mentioned is the DotA feature, where allies and enemies are a set color, and you can even fix it to be like that always.
For assets on Sunken City, what do you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.