• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Whats your favorite console?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
My favorite console would be Playstation. Now whats your favorite console?.
Feel free to tell us too what is your favorite game too.

Level 14
I was born with the Playstation!
LOL anyway
Favourite : Tekken Series
@ -Derp-
I feel sorry for you

Level 3
Sega Genesis :p But of nowadays I prefer the XBox, the controller just feels better in the hand than the playstation one :)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Nothing beats the sega megadrive, if you go back to like 1990 odd. Its been 20 years since it was release, rather sad.

Playstation used to be innovative, even with the PS2 it was but sadly it seems to have lost it with time. The PS3 is soon going to be the most backward of the 3 console producers once WiiU is out and even now is having to rely on reselling old games with new games to make sales. Especially multi platform games as the 360 version almost always looks better (with exception of CGI cutscenes which sony developers use to bulk out the disc).

Level 17
PS2. Just because of the massive game selection.

For me, its always been about the games. The Jak series has no equal. Best trilogy ever, bar none.

360 is a close second though, I love their line up too and they get a lot of third party titles I would've otherwise missed out on because I can't afford a better PC.

Level 11
i would say the first generation 60 gb ps3, i remember gettin it the first 2 weeks it came out... was so happy it was backwards compatible (played both ps1 and ps2 games), but then like 2 years later i get that dag on Yellow light of death and lost all my data...happened to me twice :(

now i have the 250 gb slim.. which is also nice... but the bad thing about it, is that its like semi backwards compatible... i mean.. it plays Ps1 games... but it doesnt play ps2 games.. which i believe is just a selfish way to make more money... those pricks....

but o well i still like the ps3 :p even with BS

EDIT: on the + side of the slim though is that they dont get that Yellow light of death issue.

Level 5
Backwards compatible PS3. It's hard to beat a console that can play three generations of games. Especially when you already have a one thousand dollar investment in PS2 games. Call me asinine and stupid if I was to not consider that in my choice of a console.

The only reason why the backwards compatibility was taken off the current PS3 versions is because it is the sole reason why the original PS3 was so expensive. The first ones had something really close to a copy of the PS2's hardware giving 100% (if not, 99%) compatibility, but at the same time skyrocketing its price tag. It also caused Sony to release the PS3 after the Wii and the Xbox, effectively blowing their sales in addition to being the most expensive of the three. Then again, Microsoft took advantage of Sony's position (smart move) and Nintendo was already a leg up on each.

A later version of the PS3 had a PS2 emulator on it, making the PS3 cheaper, but still expensive. However, because it was only the PS3 running an emulator to run PS2 games, it does not play everything. It was only a small list of PS2 games that it could not play, but the point stands if you just happened to own those games.

Either way, in terms of reliability the PS3 and Xbox are terrible. It took them years to fix the severe bugs that a lot of people experienced in the RRoD scare. It gave us a "better" console... per say, but the fact that cannot be ignored is neither company cannot hide and are glad to overlook that they sold their customers flawed products. I've heard stories of a select few people having to buy five Xboxes or three PS3s before they got one that wouldn't self destruct. Then there's the people who who had their ship their RRoD consoles, costing potentially hundreds of dollars each time depending on where you lived. Microsoft is known to do this especially as this was around the time when the horribly made Windows Vista was made. Microsoft admits that this wasn't a good product-- VERY soon afterwards comes Windows 7 and woe be tide the corporations and companies who bought hundreds to thousands of computers and laptops installed with the Vista OS. Not a people expected this from highly regarded Sony, though.

I have a Wii too, but as far as Nintendo is concerned, they don't particularly care about the Wii since sales have considerably slowed down. They also have planned to stay ahead of the "console war" and the "handheld war". The 3DS is already here (succeeding the DSiXL which is supposed to be more those who have trouble seeing the smaller DS and DSi screens). The WiiU is supposed to come... I think next year? This holiday season sounds too early... unless Nintendo wants to end up in Sony's and Microsoft's previous situation.

I don't plan on buying an Xbox, since a friend I have (and he admits to being an Xbox fanboy) said an Xbox is basically a cheaper and effective substitute computer. Well. I obviously have a computer and I recently bought a decent one that cost quite a lot for someone with a budget like mine, so why would I ever need to buy one? Also the fact that I wanted an educated consumer choice: I waited years to buy any of the new generation consoles, getting weighted opinions on each one from about a hundred sources (people, reviews, etc.), and making sure I could put food on the table and pay my bills with a hole being chewed through in my wallet.

The western market for video games is terrible right now. Sigh, I really wish I lived in Japan. Over there, many more video game companies actually care about what the game is instead of how much money it can make them. I've had my share of bad Japanese games, but that list is so small compared all of the complaints I have in the western market. Also, the diversity of games is significantly higher since small, independent companies that make video games are easier to find. There are indie games who are market savvy enough to understand that they cannot siphon people from buying more known games. So what they do is make niche titles. Worst of all, have you seen PSN Japan? Have you seen Wii Shop Channel Japan? Two words: NOT FAIR.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Sadly we will probably have to wait a long time for hardware tessellation support to come to the consoles. I doubt even the WiiU will use such technology or Nentindo would have plastered the face of fans with it in their conference.

Japan has good gaming currently? I thought they were suffering daily blackouts due to damage sustained to the electrical grid from a natural disaster... Infact, that is likly the main reason the WiiU appears so rushed, because it probably is many months behind schedual. Addionally most Japenese game developers did announce delays to their current projects. The end result will be fewer games being relesed (as you can not start a new project until your current one is complete) for the forseeable future.

Although I do admit Japeneese game companies generally have the best out of box quality (MMORPGs aside where you always add content later) they still seem way behind in their patching (remakes of remakes of japeneese games still have some bugs/faults from the orignal) and they also seem to have very little ability to portray different cultures. Castlevania is a good example whereby a lot of Japenese culture is mixed into a game that is mostly meant to take place in Europe.

Level 5
Sadly we will probably have to wait a long time for hardware tessellation support to come to the consoles. I doubt even the WiiU will use such technology or Nentindo would have plastered the face of fans with it in their conference.

Japan has good gaming currently? I thought they were suffering daily blackouts due to damage sustained to the electrical grid from a natural disaster... Infact, that is likly the main reason the WiiU appears so rushed, because it probably is many months behind schedual. Addionally most Japenese game developers did announce delays to their current projects. The end result will be fewer games being relesed (as you can not start a new project until your current one is complete) for the forseeable future.

Although I do admit Japeneese game companies generally have the best out of box quality (MMORPGs aside where you always add content later) they still seem way behind in their patching (remakes of remakes of japeneese games still have some bugs/faults from the orignal) and they also seem to have very little ability to portray different cultures. Castlevania is a good example whereby a lot of Japenese culture is mixed into a game that is mostly meant to take place in Europe.
I was trying not to mention the earthquake that hit Japan, but I can't it cannot be avoided.

The amount of games that are not good in the Japanese market is similar to what the US market has. That's what research is for. In the case of games being delayed, I'd rather have a game that was delayed to be made better and costing me $50 than a game that was released flawed and paying $50. You're making people impatient in the first scenario, but in the second you're just flat-out flicking them off.

This video sums up the video game industry today pretty well. At least, this is how all markets are when the profit motive detracts form the purpose. The original purpose of video games was to entertain people and we get and got the games we love due to that, but now... Hah. Not so much.

Level 14
I was trying not to mention the earthquake that hit Japan, but I can't it cannot be avoided.

The amount of games that are not good in the Japanese market is similar to what the US market has. That's what research is for. In the case of games being delayed, I'd rather have a game that was delayed to be made better and costing me $50 than a game that was released flawed and paying $50. You're making people impatient in the first scenario, but in the second you're just flat-out flicking them off.

This video sums up the video game industry today pretty well. At least, this is how all markets are when the profit motive detracts form the purpose. The original purpose of video games was to entertain people and we get and got the games we love due to that, but now... Hah. Not so much.

japan has good anime and stuff too,the creators of stuff died and their projects died

Level 34
Dreamcast - Power Stone

Poor Dreamcast. One of the most "ahead of its time" systems, and one of the worst selling systems.

Although Sega Genesis has some good memories tied to it.

Level 2
Out of the current generation of consoles, I prefer PS3 the most for their exclusives. Once I get a better pc to run games, I will be going pc ftw ^_^

Level 7
Sony Playstation 1 (PSX)

Since I was a kid, I've been playing this console for the longest of hours, and look at me now! By playing games I became interested in software and hardware that lead me of becoming a computer engineer.

For the game, I'd choose "Xenogears and Final Fantasy 1-9"

Level 7
OMG! Me too! :D Mine is Back to nature. It's so cool and
I think I have mastered the game by playing it for the longest of hours.

Level 21
i dont really have a favorite. i shift around from console to console. some days i prefer the the xbox 360, other days i prefer the playstaion 3, then others i prefer the playstation portable. just today i started with xbox 360 before going over to pc then to playstation portable and then back to pc.

Level 1
I liked the first Playstation console alot. I did play games that i belive many people know about. Like spyro and crash bandicoot they were my favorite games as a kid. I also played a horror game called Dino crysis that was great

Level 17
NES - Or rather, the Chinese knock offs with NES rips.
GBA - had only Pokemon red sadly.
PS1 - that I won from a newspaper contest and could barely afford any retail games for it.
Times were completely different back then, consoles were used to play games not for watching netflix, games often came with free demos and were full of unlockables that you didn't have to pay for and you could lend or trade your games to anybody you wished without having them registered as friends for 30 days or having them pay for using your game.

Level 24
Well HD can mean pretty much mean anything that has better resolution than the non-HD platform so even though I certainly hope that there will be huge improvements nothing is carved in stone yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.