• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Whats baking and unwrapping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I have a model with textures already on it. Uses 8 textures and 49 materials. Someone told me, "So what you need to do to fix it is to bake the material data as well as texture maps into one texture map. But first you need to auto-weld all points, and UV-unwrap the model." I am new to texturing and this kind of confuses me. I have 3DS Max 2010 and Milkshape 3D. I have tried searching for a tutorial and it just confuses me more.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

What you're seeking help with is modelling, 3D art. Texturing is what you do once you've finished all this and start drawing on that final texture you get, 2D art.

Level 3
I have the model done though. Its fully rendered in Milkshape 3D and 3DS Max. I guess what I am trying to do is make all of the textures be made into 1 texture file so you dont need to manage 8 of them.

Level 3
I am asking about texturing the model. If a mod feels I am asking in the wrong forum they can move it, but I dont need to know about the model, I am trying to make all the textures into 1 file.

Level 15
I have a model with textures already on it. Uses 8 textures and 49 materials. Someone told me, "So what you need to do to fix it is to bake the material data as well as texture maps into one texture map. But first you need to auto-weld all points, and UV-unwrap the model." I am new to texturing and this kind of confuses me. I have 3DS Max 2010 and Milkshape 3D. I have tried searching for a tutorial and it just confuses me more.

Forget about baking. Baking refers to using the data from lighting to make things like 'bump' or 'normal' maps; maps that are not used in Wc3. UV mapping involves arranging the layout of polygon faces onto a texture that can be painted. Find a tutorial for UV mapping in 3ds Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.