• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need Help With Texturing Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Ok, it may be a stupid question, I'm just asking : What's the difference between uv-map, uv-unwrap and uv-map? And what do they mean? Maybe there are some more, it's the three I remember.

I need to know because what I want to do right now is : I edited a wc3 model and re-animated it. It still uses an ingame texture, and I'm okay with it, I still want to use it, but it's like, wrongly placed on the model, I would like to move it on the model so the texture is not a mess on it.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I see you mentioning two uv-maps, so those I can't tell the difference between, but the 'unwrap' is usually associated with the texture/skin - ie the .blp file - I don't know what UV stands for tbh, I always thought it was UW and that it was simply short for UnWrap. What it does however, from the model's point of view, is to locate parts of a 2D image (the .blp) and put bits and pieces here and there on the model. I don't know anything about modelling, so I can't help you with that part.
(Note: 'bits and pieces here and there' is something I have only ever seen in WarCraft, it's usually more of a front and back, with a few various elements where the front and back is not used)

What is misplaced though? I'm a pretty experienced skinner/texturer, so I might know a way to fix it.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Aight, that's what I thought, the 'map' is the model-side, which makes sure the unwrap is wrapped onto the model properly.

What your problem is, seeing as you have not touched the skin, is that the UV Map is nullified, hence the skin wraps around as if it was a normal texture, where the bottom is the feet and the top the head and in between the body is wrapped directly around the body, front to back pictured from left to right (or opposite). So you need recreate the map, or alternatively make a new texture.

Status
Not open for further replies.