• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

What is wrong with my computer? D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I have been getting blue screens of death quite frequently lately but I don't know why. I have used memtest to check my memory and it ran through to 100% without any errors. I didn't let it go past 200% because I figured any thing large enough to cause blue screens would pop up in the first or second pass. I should say that I used the memtest that can be run in the windows os and not one that has to be burned from a cd and booted off of, so any memory in use by the os was not tested.

The blue screens of the death that I have gotten are: memory management and bad header pool. there were others but I didn't write them down because I'm dumb xD

finally, I've had some problems when I boot up my computer.

1. the color schemes that I have selected will change back to the windows default color and one time it changed to the classic windows theme.

2. sometimes i will start it up and there will be just a black screen with my mouse on it. it stays on the screen without actually loading the desktop

3. One time while booting up I got an error, something about how the login service didn't work because I didn't have permission. so i clicked 'ok' and then it bluescreened.

After enough restarts (usually 1 or 2) my desktop will load just fine and everything will work great, but then I try to open something or close something and it bluescreens. It seems pretty random as to what kills it, I haven't pinned it to a specific program yet. Once it died when i was playing skyrim and i tried to open my map and another time when I was just trying to start up planetside 2

thanks for any help you can provide in advance, I'd really like to get this figured out since I just spent 600$ upgrading this thing less than a month ago.

Well I decided to run the memtest again and as soon as it started it came up with this error: "pair 934154424 is unable to store values correctly. Computer is unable to store data in ram correctly." And then the computer promptly froze >.< . Soo, yeah one of my ram sticks is bad. I'd still like to know what made it bad though :p what are some things that can kill ram? nothing is overclocked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 5
Ya if I remember right the free memtest can only test 2GB of memory at once, so if you have 8 GB of RAM you have to let it test till 400% if you are running one instance of it. Now you can run multiple instances of it, and I suggest doing so to speed things up.

Level 4
I did, I already figured out which stick was bad and took it out. computers running fine now. My only question is, how did this happen? How do I prevent this from happening again?

Level 34
RAM, from my limited experience, isn't usually what goes in a computer. Probably just a faulty stick that eventually kicked the bucket. Power supplies can damage other parts, but I don't see how it would affect the RAM.

Level 4
Level 8
Check out of your RAM has a warranty. Unless there's some heat (or static, but how the hell would that happen?) problem in your case, this really shouldn't happen.

Level 29
RAM can go bad for many reasons the main ones being ( not in order). power surges, mishandling ( 1/32 spark of what the eye can see can damage RAM), overheating (due to dust, fan damaged, fan running slow, or not enough airflow around the RAM). and finally although this does not happen often w any of the better RAM developers is faulty RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.