• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

AHH! Stupid computer... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 45
Well i was looking at some private Wow servers on a site and some stuff then suddenly, BOOM..well not boom..but my computer crashed (like usual) then.. it restarts..but wont get past the 2nd black screen at startup, just says "Disk Read Error, press alt+ctrl+del to restart" and so i did

...but.. I still get that error.. i took out my CD and anything i have on my comp but it still comes up with the error, my Dad suggests a Virus or something has crashed or screwed up my Harddrive and im like "EEEKK but i got alot of stuff that i dont remember but i need them!"

Then i remembered i have all these models like the COS dragon(a model which im really proud of that took me Hours to make) and max8-7 and bigger programs and then i remember AHHHHH i have 1g of Wow patchs! and re'dling them is a huge pain in the cat and it takes a large toll on internet plan we are on..

and if your wondering, well im using my Mothers computer to access this site, so please.. for the love of god help me =/

Level 8
mmk well when it says disk read error its not meaning the cd-rom drive it means the hardrive. and 2 things come to my mind when that happens.

1. open it up and make sure everything connected and not loose

2. shake it! or beat it! but not hardcore just enough force(The reason is becuase sometimes the disk in the hardrive goes out of aligment and doing one of those 2 things."I recommend shake it first". will realign it. I had that happen twice before and where both fixed with a good smack to the comp lol.

and if your desperate to save your files go seek a professional. who will probaly aleast be able to get the files.

Level 45
okay, also i might suggest something which may be causing it..

mice.

we are having a mouse problem (no we arnt dirty its just the season and the stored food my rat keeps which lures them in the computer area...)

afew weeks ago mice got into my dads computer and used it as a toilet... dad had to open hes comp up and clean it since hes comp would crash and go all over the place when it started up, ill look into that too on my comp and or ask a pro for help.
(sorry if spelling sucks, IE doesnt have spell checker)

Level 45
okay, well mice arnt the problem here...

dad check the hardrive, he Highly suspects a virus has "stoned" basiclly killed the harddrive, not a loose wire... nothing just the hardrive.

he replaced it with another harddrive and that ones fine, although he put my hardrive back in and used a boot floppy or a "rescue" floppy and it didnt read the floppy, so dad used another type of floppy and it read the hardrive and it came up with it being corrupted so, so dad erased everything on the hardrive..but then another problem was something about only win 98 being able to read the hardrive then xp not being able to..and well its all over the place...

dunno, im no compy wizz and.. i kinda forgot what my dad said but...yeah. looks like ill have to start from scratch again....

anyway, thnx for the help.

Level 6
okay, well mice arnt the problem here...

dad check the hardrive, he Highly suspects a virus has "stoned" basiclly killed the harddrive, not a loose wire... nothing just the hardrive.

he replaced it with another harddrive and that ones fine, although he put my hardrive back in and used a boot floppy or a "rescue" floppy and it didnt read the floppy, so dad used another type of floppy and it read the hardrive and it came up with it being corrupted so, so dad erased everything on the hardrive..but then another problem was something about only win 98 being able to read the hardrive then xp not being able to..and well its all over the place...

dunno, im no compy wizz and.. i kinda forgot what my dad said but...yeah. looks like ill have to start from scratch again....

anyway, thnx for the help.

Hmmmmm,viruses invade mostly the Drive C:.Looks like you must:

1.Find the disk you installed Windows with it.
2.Turn it on.(Further it will say other things,that some of them might count.)
3.Set the options as you want.(there are things that I don't know about.)
4.Be sure you set the options you want.
5.Click "install" (ok,start,)or what button it says there.
6.You have to wait 1 hour and 20 or 30 minutes.

Hopefully everything will work fine.That system can erase everything on C: even,the most toughest viruses.

But if you dad replaced the infested drive with a new one,then it's OK.

dumb. that memory cannot be accesed with windows setup! It's hard coded, it holds info and so... and viruses youre talking about are nothing if they only hurt C:\. best ones can crash whole system, all harddrives, by just changing they boot sectors... do you know what map protection is? the easiest way to do is to edit mpq info to instead of built-in info have something other, for example 24 XL 34 86 KO. thats what viruses can do with hard drives. but, though there is a way to replace wrong code in mpq via hacking it, why cant we do it with harddrive to? (this requires hacking knowledge)

Level 45
well... lets just say i have no access to being able to buy things over the internet...to break their trial limits..But i had protection on when i was accessing those sites.

and the only things iv being dling via p2p is music.

nothing visually secretive or such.....

so..yeah..um and C drive is were you put your hardrive, so..you'd obviously get virus's there..

Dad says he can only access and check the hardrive via windows 98 and not XP, meaning that yes.. a virus did..get to it and a pretty nasty one...

But i had the Avast anti virus, firewall, peer guardian, registry scanners...all on, guess i should stop using crappy avast and get a better AV.

Oh well.. but dad said he might be able to find away to transfer some of the files through F drive... but he said it might not be able since hes accessing the hardrive through a limited system which might not read F drives or transport such large files at all

Anyway, anymore suggestions are welcome, if not ill just start from scratch and learn to be "less" careless and more "cunning" with the things i access and do.

Level 36
Titanium O is the best WoW private server, and no C:\ doesn't always have to be the harddrive, you can easily change the letter. But, historically, viruses usually attack the Windows Installation not an actual harddrive (usually, I've had both), so thats why I have my D:\ drive, which is 160 GB and I keep all of my important stuff on there, and my C:\ drive which is only 40 GB, so I use that for my Windows Install. This way, I can download all I want (I am a rampant pirate, I've got my Isohunt T-Shirt on right now, coinsidentally) and then when Windows gets retarded, well I can reformat in about 15 minutes and take a night off to update and reinstall things like drivers and such.

yeah, Warewolf, you got some EXTREMELY GOOD VIRUS that your antivirus couldnt handle (use NORTON or NOD32). you see, there are antiviruses that can acces files only if they ARE files. and BOOT sector, wich seems damaged, is unable to recognise third party programs on windows. WEll, though, w98 uses other programs that are written in different format. and viruses today rarely attack 98 mashines becouse they dont support them itself. BUT, windows XP has wide "knowledge" about internet, and "knows" how to use all its "fancy" features. So, you can download many plugins, and other shit-like things from nonoffical site, and there you go:thumbs_down:. BuT anyway there is ALMOST always way to repair your computer, just try to hack harddrive itself, by entering boot sector (here my knowledge ends) google it (who knows, maybe some hacker wants to share his/her knowledge?)

Level 36
Yes ma'am that is horrible indeed. I truly wish harddrives were more dependable. I have a 35 GB music collection. It is not backed up, except onto my storage drive, which Windows is not installed on. If that were ever to crash, I don't know what I eould do, and it is very scary to think about. We trust all of our important data to these harddrives, so what do we do if they fail us? We don't have any other options, we have to pick up the pieces and start again. I know the feeling, I reformat my PC a lot and it always sucks losing something.

Level 45
well dads says the Boot sector is only accessible by 98 or something and that the virus wont allow dad to access through XP.

Dad knows have to work with the old stuff (was one of those DOS people(programmer or something) in hes earlier years) but hes forgotten a large part of it..

and yes, it does suck.. i have about 5gb(yeah..not much but still ... *drools*) of music (but my bro took the ipod so im music'less atm :eek:) but most of the large files that im really worried about are the max programs and larger update files like Wow patches (one fricking gig of patchs :eek:)

and alot of the stuff which really ticks me of is that of my personal artwork in their larger original formats and unhosted images of my artwork and models for people and such.

I reformatted not that long ago before the hardrive crashed (1-2 months)

but i had problems still even after(and before) i reformatted, eg.
the computer crashing sometimes when music or videos end, whether it be on the net,ares or media player.

and on rare occasion when i click on a button like a file in a folder,button on psp, stop button on Firefox or a link on a site my computer would even crash.

My computer would also crash when i exited large programs like WoW or sometimes wc3(but not when i was testing maps via editor)

But i had like ..512 of memory(ram?) or something and i dont understand why it crashes when my computer should be able to handle that much memory.

But iv had that problem ever since i kinda went hardcore in dling videos and illegal programs/files from nasty sites and such but that was ages ago.

I did have everything stored from my last reformat for transfer the last time i reformatted, the files (5-8gig worth) were moved to my fathers comp, but sadly just 2 weeks ago he deleted those files to save space...so that kinda sucks.

And if worse comes to worst i will have to accept it and start all over again, since it is my fault but im really pissed off about it though since ill probably do it again since im kinda casually into it cracking programs. (but not casual in discussing it as you may have seen in that thread about max 5)

i dunno, i think ill stop since im rambling atm, but anyway, right now Dad has finally decided to stop watching cricket and work on my comp and hopefully he succeeds.

EDIT: and yes, iv had actual Hackers on my computer not that long ago and...ages ago.

The first major one was the giant ball of ever spawning Trojans(eventually led up to over 100 Trojans on my computer, given by that fricking Kazaa program) and then a re-spawning key loggers like greyfile.exe(i think its called, or something like that).

Also i scanned my computer not that long ago and had something eating my registry and some other files and such which i don't remember.

Level 45
Sorry for dpost, i think my last post is far to long to simple cnp and delete then add more text.

but anyway, ill cnp:

and Dad has saved the hardrive(as in, being able to use it again) by reformatting all the data into a different form(so the virus cant do anything) and then replaced the FAT files(since the virus corrupted them which wont allow access to the hardrive) and then has done stuff to make the hardrive back into the form it was before but new (meaning he had to completely wipe the hardrive out and let the computer rewrite all the data as if the hardrive was brought fresh out of its packet from a store)

Level 45
cant, this comp(its my dads) wont allow the irc window to show and dling mirc will result in me gettin my ass kicked since Dad knows what it is and doesnt really like me talking to people on the net since he instantly stereotypes them as pendofiles(the spelling of that is always..hard to figure out) or "bad" people.

and me accessing Irc at mums comp ..i could..but i need to turn the firewall off to do that since zone alarm security is...gay and wont let it load and rejects it from connecting to the server..

anyway, i expect my comp to be back up in 1-3 days.. i need to redl and reinstall everything..go search for some CDs which are probably lost..(like the ROC Cd...) =_= then scan a whole bunch of stuff..grrrr.. =_=

Level 6
Titanium O is the best WoW private server, and no C:\ doesn't always have to be the harddrive, you can easily change the letter. But, historically, viruses usually attack the Windows Installation not an actual harddrive (usually, I've had both), so thats why I have my D:\ drive, which is 160 GB and I keep all of my important stuff on there, and my C:\ drive which is only 40 GB, so I use that for my Windows Install. This way, I can download all I want (I am a rampant pirate, I've got my Isohunt T-Shirt on right now, coinsidentally) and then when Windows gets retarded, well I can reformat in about 15 minutes and take a night off to update and reinstall things like drivers and such.

Hello!MY C:\drive has that much.

Level 12
Someone likes double killing, ehm posting (I have played too much ut2004). XD

About weird comuters, sometimes my computer starts regulary except that it takes like 5 minuts. Then the mouse doesn't work and 95% of the cases when you try to restart it the problem is still there. However, to fix it I have to plug in the usb-mouse and then restart it. Then everything works fine. ?_?

Status
Not open for further replies.