• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Take that stupid laptop :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Well in light of Werewulf's tragedy, I decided to share my recent story of how I managed to beat the odd's :p This might cheer you up Wulf, or perhaps not since you'll see how I managed to get my data and you didn't, i'm sharing either way XD
Anywho, it was about a month ago and my laptop crashed again. Every now and then, completely randomly, it will not boot up and the only option is to reformat. It will get to right when it's going to load the welcome screenon XP and then reboot itself and it wont go any farther. Having tried everything, the Tech Support even told us a reformat was our only option. Now my Dad, who uses the laptop mainly, since I have this handy Desktop XD, stores all of his pictures on there. And we take a helluva lot of pictures. I mean we have tons. So that would mean that most of the recent ones as well as about a weeks worth of photoshopping, would be gone. Well my Dad doesn't take no for an answer. We have a driverless 60 GB external storage drive. So, praying that it would work, we took out the laptop harddrive and put it into the external harddrive's case. After a bit of farting around it worked! And I managed to back up the contents of the crashed laptop to my PC, and so the day was saved. We weren't sure whether the driverless HD would work with the new harddrive being in it, but it came through for us and Windows picked it up the moment I plugged it in. A rare ocassion that windows actually picks up a device and makes it useable right away, especially a USB device, which I have found Windows is notoriously choosy about, depending on which USb port I have it plugged into and which one it was in when I installed the drivers and all the rest. I got lucky, and unfortunately, people like Wulf aren't so lucky and have to start over again. I would recommend a backup product that I used in the summer, before we had our external HD, it was a recovery program, of which a copy can be found on download.com It's effectively useless as you can only recover 1 file per day with the trial, but when you actually buy the software, it comes through and picks up EVERYTHING that you thought was gone from your PC and it's able to recover it.

Level 45
Argh..dam you, yes, you are lucky... im just hoping the odds will some how turn and i get the files back...

But how old is your laptop? i think they are different with how they boot up compared to the average Windows using pc computer.

and yeah..we dont have an external hardrive, but Dads trying to find a way to use a removable disk device to extract some files.

Also iv heard of these programs that restore files, but i thought those were used if you delete things and they retrieve the data which is overwritten when its disposed of when its in the Recycle Bin.

EDIT: and my case isn't that much of a tragedy compared to some other people, im mainly unhappy about it due to my personal work(and being computerless and musicless for afew days),old models and new ones never released and large files which are too large to just simply redl.

But if something happened to Ralle since (im guessing he has very important stuff on hes comp) that would be a tragedy, even to the hive members.

Status
Not open for further replies.