• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Moving to a new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Recently I got myself a new laptop for 600 euros(811 dollars)
It arrived surprisingly fast and now I'm stuck.
I had expected it to come preinstalled, but it didn't and I don't have a windows 7 CD nearby.
Thus, I got myself an iso.
I mounted the ISO and copied its contents to a USB stick.

The USB stick is recognized by the new computer, but it doesn't know how to boot from it.

What should I do?

Level 22
You need to make a bootable USB, copying the iso to the USB doesn't make it bootable.
Here, I pulled that from a google search, hope that helps.

Level 22
Putting the content won't also work, the usb needs to have a boot image to boot the pc. I'll be back, trying to find a solution...
Wait wrong guide lol!

EDIT: Here try this guide, I think this one should do, I tried it myself, but I forgot the details lol.
EDIT 2: I think that would work, it has a guide to make the usb itself bootabe, goodluck!

Level 21
Putting the content won't also work, the usb needs to have a boot image to boot the pc. I'll be back, trying to find a solution...
Wait wrong guide lol!

EDIT: Here try this guide, I think this one should do, I tried it myself, but I forgot the details lol.
EDIT 2: I think that would work, it has a guide to make the usb itself bootabe, goodluck!

The windows 7 USB/DVD tool is what has kept failing. It can't copy files from the iso for some reason.
I'll try with some other ISO, but first I need space.

Level 16
Make sure you alter the boot order of your computer. This is achieved by opening up the BIOS settings (hitting F9 or a similar button before Windows starts) By default, your computer will boot from an order similar to this:

Disk Drive
Hard Drive
USB
Etc....
Etc....

Change the order so USB is first. Given you followed the above tutorial correctly, you shouldn't have any problems.

Level 22
That sucks, I'll look for another app then...
Here's a fix on the error, if that doesn't work, try Rufus.
If those still don't work, try replacing the ISO, as you mentioned.

Level 21
Make sure you alter the boot order of your computer. This is achieved by opening up the BIOS settings (hitting F9 or a similar button before Windows starts) By default, your computer will boot from an order similar to this:

Disk Drive
Hard Drive
USB
Etc....
Etc....

Change the order so USB is first. Given you followed the above tutorial correctly, you shouldn't have any problems.

So far none of the tutorials have worked, because they have trouble with copying files from the iso.
Also, I've changed the boot order and the new laptop also allows me to explicitly select which drive I want to boot from.
The problem is that no matter what I do, it doesn't actually manage to boot.

Level 22
Try the guide I posted, or Rufus.
EDIT: It won't boot because the USB isn't configured to boot. (maybe there is no boot partition? not sure, I'm not a programmer lol.)

Level 22
What do you mean cmd? I don't remember cmd having a list drive/logical disks command? try diskpart, that lists the available drives/disks.

Level 22
Try formatting the USB using the GUI tool (right click -> format). I honestly don't know how to help you with that but it's worth a shot. Sorry.

Level 16
Recently I got myself a new laptop for 600 euros(811 dollars)
It arrived surprisingly fast and now I'm stuck.
I had expected it to come preinstalled, but it didn't and I don't have a windows 7 CD nearby.
Thus, I got myself an iso.
I mounted the ISO and copied its contents to a USB stick.

The USB stick is recognized by the new computer, but it doesn't know how to boot from it.

What should I do?

You know, you could just burn the .ISO onto a disc using Daemon tools. Da Da. You have a Windows 7 CD.

However, it is possible to make USB's bootable. I have done so before but unfortunately forgotten how to :/

Try this: http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Level 21
You know, you could just burn the .ISO onto a disc using Daemon tools. Da Da. You have a Windows 7 CD.

However, it is possible to make USB's bootable. I have done so before but unfortunately forgotten how to :/

Try this: http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Another problem is that I don't have any DVDs lying around atm.
Although, I asked around and might get one in a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.