• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bluescreen on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
I edited msconfig to use 4 cores on boot and 8GB memory, is this not possible?

Because i get a bluescreen everytime i try to boot now... safe mode, system restore... nothing works... i have a windows cd... but everything leads to a blue screen.

There must be a goddamn way to solve this lol otherwise windows is very easy to break...

Any other suggestions? If not then i'm going to reinstall the whole thing...

Lesson learned: Never edit files that begin with an "ms" o_O

8 GB is way too much.
The error is obviously an overflow error. You may have a 64-bit system (I know that because without a 64-bit system, you couldn't have more than ~4GB of memory), but that system isn't loaded and initialized while you're computer hasn't booted yet ;)

I don't know whether your system would be 4, 8, 16 or 32-bit before Windows initializes, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to be 64-bit.

Your computer is using 0 or 1 byte of memory for booting because of that overflow error ;)
It might even be using a negative number xD

I don't know how you can solve this, but if all else fails, just read the Windows FAQ:
Q: ????
A: Reinstall Windows

Level 27
Yeah well luckily all my important stuff is on the D: drive. (that's not a smily)

And why can't it take 8GB on start? =/

You would think this kind of stuff would just be reset when it fails or something....

Btw now that i think of it i'm just going to install linux on it and make it dual-boot so i can access my files when windows breaks =p

EDIT: Actually... does msconfig store it's data inside some file i could perhaps edit through linux?

Last edited:
Level 34
Edit: Using Linux would definitely be your best bet. You can't edit msconfig, but you could replace the file.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Could we have some details about what system you are using...
Especially
1. Opperating System
2. Word Size of OS (32bit or 64bit)
3. How many processors you have
4. How much memory do you have

Windows 7 should not need any startup configuration as it is nativly multithreaded and should optimly use your memory be default to cache itself and files.

Level 27
Could we have some details about what system you are using...
Especially
1. Opperating System
2. Word Size of OS (32bit or 64bit)
3. How many processors you have
4. How much memory do you have

Windows 7 should not need any startup configuration as it is nativly multithreaded and should optimly use your memory be default to cache itself and files.

Ah yes.

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit
i7 860 Quad-core
8 GB DDR3

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
1. Your OS can already use all 8 GB of the memory.
2. The OS automatically uses as much as it needs.
3. Setting it to the limit of your memory was a bad idea as it might try to reserve all that memory (stopping anything else from getting some memory).

I am also sure Windows 7 is multi threaded so should not need any configuration changes unless perhapse if you change your hardware configuration (it might only set up the hardware settings once when the OS is installed but that seems a bit silly).

Windows 7 boot up time is limited more by your hard disk I/O than it is by actual computational resources. This is why people are starting to use a SSD more and more for the OS files and a conventional mechanical disk for data.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
is Windows really so slow because it's still booting pretty slow i think
The OS has to cache a lot of data.

I presume the harddrive is the bottleneck here?
Yes, which is why people with fast boot times have SSDs. This is not practicle though due to their high cost at the moment. Instead of turning your PC off when going away for a few minutes, consider setting it to standby which restores in about 5 seconds and shuts down all processors / hard disks (so consumes very little power).

Status
Not open for further replies.