• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My computer's actually a fast one... With a sucky video card :-|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
I never knew until I went to this computer specs website which shows if you're compatible with a game.

Left 4 Dead

I have 4 Ghz

I have twice the Pentium needed

1024 GB RAM

but...

My video ram doesn't have the special effects stuffs & the ram.... (well not really, but I got a feeling its involved)

So, my question to you guys, what popular (meaning world widely distributed) video card can you suggest to me?

Level 34
I myself got a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS to play with on L4D, works great for me.

But I recommend you to go for a 'higher' NVIDIA GeForce, for example the 9600(?).

And the recommend specs for a L4D Video card is a NVIDIA 7600.

Level 34
In what sense is 1 gig of RAM and a pentium 'a fast one'? A good graphics card would be a waste in that, but I guess a 8600 or something would be around the right mark if you just want a cheap upgrade - doubt your MB will support PCI-e though.

Meh, agreeing with that.

If you know a computer geek -like your dad- in your social environment, I recommend you to ask about what to pick.

Level 17
Yeah NVM that, its really 2.0 ghz...

oh and

graph_all_2.gif

I guess my whole computer needs an upgrade...

how do you upgrade ghz, ram, video card, and... I think that's it...

Level 36
There's nothing wrong with your processor, you could probably do worse than a 2 GHZ Core 2 Duo. 1 GB of RAM is the lynchpin though, all games require 2 GB's these days.

A new graphics card can go either way, having a new model, cheap or high-end, will go a long way. Ah, see your problem is that you have integrated video. Good lord. You basically just need more RAM and a proper video card.

Level 17
There's nothing wrong with your processor, you could probably do worse than a 2 GHZ Core 2 Duo. 1 GB of RAM is the lynchpin though, all games require 2 GB's these days.

A new graphics card can go either way, having a new model, cheap or high-end, will go a long way. Ah, see your problem is that you have integrated video. Good lord. You basically just need more RAM and a proper video card.

What? I don't fully get those...

Oh so you're saying that my video card uses my PC's ram...

oh and why did the site tell me I had

CPU Speed
Recommended: 3 Ghz
You Have: 1.87 GHz Performance Rated at 4.90 GHz (pass)

Level 36
It means that your computer doesn't have a seperate video card, it means that a portion of your motherboard is used to handle the graphics, as is stated by the 'Intel Inegrated Graphics' bit. The graphics card is integrated into the motherboard.

This is fine and dandy for your average user, but for a gamer, you want a dedicated video card.

Level 34
Going way back halfway the thread.
I mean Duo Core 2....

and 1 gig ram is the 2nd disappointing thing about my computer...

Can You RUN It?

How do you increase ram?

To increase RAM, you gotta know some things, if you still got your manual book of your motherboard, check at the Memory/RAM(?) section. It shows basic info what your motherboard requires.

How much volts it needs, which DDR it has, and other basic info.

You know what, give me the type of Motherboard you use, I know there are lists of recommended RAM hardware you can use on them.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Pfff, you think your PC is bad? My PC has a 7800GS and runs WC3 at 20-30 FPS no matter the graphic options.

And CG is just sproutning nonsense.

Vista basic supports like 2 GB RAM, which is pretty much the same as 32 bit XP (not to sure about pro), however only the better versions of vista support 4 GB.
My bro uses vista busniess and it works flawlessly on his gaming PC allocating all 4 GB of RAM that it can support (32 bit).

If you really want to go lots of RAM, go 64 bit OS, it seems nearly all I7 configs nowdays are 64 bit due to the odd sizes of DDR3 RAM so it is gaining in popularity and hopefully driver support.

As for video card, we need to know what interface you have for one.
If it is PCI-E 2.0 I can recomend the 8800GT, it should be moderatly cheaply priced nowdays and it works pretty well for my brother, only having problems running D2 in DX mode (yet TES oblivion runs at past maximum flawlessly and wc3 never gets below 60 FPS in propper maps as well as supreme commanders works fine).

Level 14
Pfff, you think your PC is bad? My PC has a 7800GS and runs WC3 at 20-30 FPS no matter the graphic options.

Your 7800 GS is far better than his integrated...

And CG is just sproutning nonsense.

Vista basic supports like 2 GB RAM, which is pretty much the same as 32 bit XP (not to sure about pro), however only the better versions of vista support 4 GB.
My bro uses vista busniess and it works flawlessly on his gaming PC allocating all 4 GB of RAM that it can support (32 bit).

Vista basic != Vista start. Vista starter is a pile of total CRAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.