• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What is the universe tick rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Is it possible to tell an approximate period at which the universe ‘ticks’, refreshing all the matter’s locations, conditions etc? Assuming that the universe even works like this.

I doubt the universe works like that. Not even computers work like that. It is an abstraction added artificially to some games like Minecraft. Processers has multiple cores with multiple threads, all working independently of each other and with a speed depending on hardware. And uses a ton of shortcuts, to be faster, that breaks that structure like jumping threads.

The shortest amount of time that is not 'no time', is planck time, which is the time it takes light (the fastest possible movement), to travel the shortest known distance, a planck length.

Last edited:
Level 3
I doubt the universe works like that. Not even computers work like that. It is an abstraction added artificially to some games like Minecraft. Processers has multiple cores with multiple threads, all working independently of each other and with a speed depending on hardware. And uses a ton of shortcuts, to be faster, that breaks that structure like jumping threads.

The shortest amount of time that is not 'no time', is planck time, which is the time it takes light (the fastest possible movement), to travel the shortest known distance, a planck length.

How do computers work like then? For example when I move the mouse around, how does it know how often does it have to check the cursor’s position? There should be some equivalent of FPS for RAM or something like this right?

Without being an expert on mice, I'd hazard a guess and say it moves it when it received a signal from the mouse. So it check when it recieves the signal.

The mouse position is dependent on multiple things, since I know that it for example tries to predict cursor position depending on speed and previous position.

Checking every n-th timeframe is probably not very processor friendly.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
If we are to consider the fact that the universe is accelerating and expanding at the same time, relativity changes with this, thus spacetime.
If Earth's rotations change due to gravity and other universal forces, seconds, years, so on, might not be the same anymore even if we could not particularly tell the difference unless the changes are drastic.

You can imagine the universe as an infinite (well, not exactly but bear with me) power/energy quantum computer, a forever learning AI, a developing entity which becomes more and more until becoming less or nothing (to our understanding although we still know almost nothing about dark matter and dark energy).

Anyways, since it's pretty much unanimous that the speed of light is the highest limit of the universe in terms of speed and -270 degrees Celsius (absolute zero) is the lowest temperature in the universe at which point movement is impossible, then, the spacetime could only pendulate between these, unless quantum physics discovers particles which can move faster than photons and actual particles which move and not appear and disappear in absolute zero.

Of course, I'm no physicist or computer scientist. Just babbling here.

Read stuff from various sciences and who knows, if you study some math and physics you'll eventually come up with a real theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.