• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

what is the best browser to use on youtube on my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
my laptop have an amd quadcore a4 1,5 ghz processor and 8 gigabytes of memory. edge works well for the most part but youtube videoes keeps crashing. comodo dragon barely works which would also rule out google crome because comodo dragon is based on that. what browser would be optimal for running youtube videoes?

Level 21
i5 is much more powerful than a4 so naturally it works well for you. unfortunately, my laptop have an a4 which is much weaker(about a gigahertz weaker). it therefore needs a less demanding browser. the crome based comodo dragon is too damanding so i need something lighter like edge but that is too unstable.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
You may simply install many browsers and then experiment, to find out which one works best with YouTube videos, for your hardware / drivers, all depending on your needs.

You may wish to switch between html5 and Flash, for YouTube video playback, by clicking here (choice may not be available for all browsers).
This page will also allow you to know what your browser supports.

The Flash Plugin comes in different flavors, depending on your browser:
Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions
On my XP32 laptop, they all have the same performance.

Now for browsing, I personally use Pale Moon. But I keep Opera 12.18 at hand, because it uses very little memory. Therefore I can (barely) load 2 browsers at the same time, in 1 Go ram. I point out Opera 12.xx is outdated.

On my browser / hardware, Flash works better overall for YouTube video playback.

On Firefox-based browsers, these extensions can be useful:
YouTube Flash Video Player
YouTube High Definition
Download YouTube Videos as MP4

Lastly, I point out most browsers can not render 360-degree videos properly. I know Chrome can. Maybe other browsers can too?

Level 21
html 5 is a must because flash lacks support for repeat. i have 8 gigabytes of memory(around 500 megabytes is dedicated to the graphics card with 4 gigabytes totally available to graphics) which means that i have at least 4 gigabytes remaining for other stuff. my main issue is the cpu as it have a weak clock frequency(1,5). is the last version of internet explorer any good? (it is already preinstalled and ready to go.)

pyf

pyf

Level 32
html 5 is a must because flash lacks support for repeat.
Trying to use Flash Video might solve the crashing issues... or not.

Not sure you can do it out-of-the-box with Edge, though. So better try that in a Firefox-based browser imho.

is the last version of internet explorer any good? (it is already preinstalled and ready to go.)
idk, since XP users can use IE8 at best (which is very outdated, and should not be used).

my main issue is the cpu as it have a weak clock frequency(1,5).
Using a lower resolution for videos does not help?

** update **

fyi
Microsoft Edge improves on Windows 10 14901 - gHacks Tech News
HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?
(I am not very fond of these compliance tests btw)

Last edited:
Level 21
my problem is that they some times cancels the repeat function and stops anyway.(it happens at random). i have never experienced it in comodo dragon but that barely works on that pc. the problem with flash is as i said that it lacks repeat and since i need the video to reapeat, it is out of the question. i am running windows 10 and not xp. when i wrote last version of internet explorer i meant it. is that any good?

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Since I use XP, I hope other Hive members will step in and help one way or another.

Just pointing out, viewing a YouTube video with Listenonrepeat, works great for me in Pale Moon (23 repeats and counting). Also, no need to switch to html5, or so it seems (right clicking on the video still displays the Flash Plugin menu).

Welcome to Listenonrepeat

Level 21
i have enough ram but my problem is CPU. comodo dragon is based on google chrome and barely works. i tried internet explorer because edge would not start for some reason but i got the same problem there. i need a browser that goes easy on the CPU like edge or internet explorer but those is not working perfectly with youtube(repeat gets canceled).

Level 21
blocking ads blocks videoes. in many cases the videoes i try to run fails to run because of a missing ad. using privacy addons causes the videoes to fail to run at all. i need a browser that is lightweight and stable on youtube videoes.(comodo dragon is stable but not lightweight and barely runs).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The laptop might not be possible to run HD youtube videos smoothly. Without hardware acceleration video decoding is very computationally intensive and even though it has a quad core the clock rate is still very low.

Try running Google Chrome itself. Some times it is more up to date/faster than browsers based off it.

Try running FireFox. Although slower than Edge and Chrome it does have access to both Flash and HTML5 versions of YouTube. Some people report that the HTML5 player with some codecs used by some YouTube movies is extremely slow and nearly impossible to get full frame rate. On the other hand the same videos running via Flash get full frame rate. Getting 60FPS for 60FPS videos seems near impossible with HTML5 on all browsers.

Level 21
google chrome itself is super slow(comodo dragon is faster). the graphics card does support direct 3d and opengl. my problem is not however frame rate but that the repeat function some times fails, causing the video to stop playing as if the repeat function is inactive. this happened in both internet explorer and edge. playlists never fail however.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
google chrome itself is super slow(comodo dragon is faster). the graphics card does support direct 3d and opengl. my problem is not however frame rate but that the repeat function some times fails, causing the video to stop playing as if the repeat function is inactive. this happened in both internet explorer and edge. playlists never fail however.
There is a repeat function?

I recommend reporting the bug to youtube. Maybe they will know a solution.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
i have enough ram but my problem is CPU. [...] i need a browser that goes easy on the CPU like edge or internet explorer but those is not working perfectly with youtube(repeat gets canceled).

Again, please try Pale Moon and Opera 12.18

For Pale Moon, I point out unsupported third-party SSE builds also exist. They might be useful in case SSE2 is an issue on some computers. Also, these SSE builds seem to be more aggressively optimized than the official SSE2 builds:
ftp://contrib:[email protected]/SSE/

blocking ads blocks videoes. in many cases the videoes i try to run fails to run because of a missing ad. using privacy addons causes the videoes to fail to run at all.

Weird.

The laptop might not be possible to run HD youtube videos smoothly. Without hardware acceleration video decoding is very computationally intensive and even though it has a quad core the clock rate is still very low.

Using a lower resolution for YouTube videos *should* make a difference here imho.

[...] Some people report that the HTML5 player with some codecs used by some YouTube movies is extremely slow and nearly impossible to get full frame rate. On the other hand the same videos running via Flash get full frame rate. Getting 60FPS for 60FPS videos seems near impossible with HTML5 on all browsers.

My case, actually. Therefore, one must experiment with different browsers, to see what works best on his/her PC.

There is a repeat function?[...]
Yes since Youtube uses HTML5 player. You can just right click on the video and tick "loop". Make sure your current browser supports HTML5.

No need to explicitly switch to HTML5 to loop videos
Welcome to Listenonrepeat

If all else fails, it is still possible to download a YouTube video, and then watch it in a Media Player which allows to loop it.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] my problem is not however frame rate but that the repeat function some times fails, causing the video to stop playing as if the repeat function is inactive. this happened in both internet explorer and edge. playlists never fail however.

i have the same problem in media player however so downloading the video does not solve the problem. one solution i found was creating a playlist as those have never failed me.

Media Player Classic (which is part of the K-Lite Codec Pack) repeats downloaded YouTube videos without an issue for me.

Media Player Classic - repeat.jpg

pyf

pyf

Level 32
html 5 is a must because flash lacks support for repeat.

Just pointing out, viewing a YouTube video with Listenonrepeat, works great for me in Pale Moon [...]. Also, no need to switch to html5, or so it seems [...]

There is a repeat function?

Yes since Youtube uses HTML5 player. You can just right click on the video and tick "loop".

Make sure your current browser supports HTML5.

Fyi:
YouTube Video Replay

Therefore, no need for Listenonrepeat.com for FF-based browsers imho.

Last edited:
Level 21
i have no issues with framerates, only with repeat being canceled but after i switched from running a single video on repeat to using playlists i got a different problem. one time it stopped without any explanation, another time the player stopped running videoes and only ran the first frame and another time it just paused for a while.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
The HTML5 codecs seem unbearably slow. It is impossible for my computer to run youtube at 60 fps using them as half the frames are always dropped (possibly a vertical sync bug?).

Plus, Flash 23.0.0.162 seems to be a tad broken.
I just switched to ESR 18.0.0.375, to fix a performance issue + a black-paused-video-when-switching-tabs bug.
Distribution d'Adobe Flash Player | Adobe

Sh*t happens...

pyf

pyf

Level 32
No need to use HTML5 solely to be able to repeat videos, at least in a FF-based web browser (extensions allow to do it with Flash videos).

i have the same problem in media player however so downloading the video does not solve the problem. one solution i found was creating a playlist as those have never failed me.
i am using the one present in windows.
i have no issues with framerates, only with repeat being canceled but after i switched from running a single video on repeat to using playlists i got a different problem. one time it stopped without any explanation, another time the player stopped running videoes and only ran the first frame and another time it just paused for a while.

Out of curiosity, do you have a codec pack installed?
Are your video card drivers up to date?
Any DirectX issues?

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I suggest you install another version of your manufacturer's graphic card drivers anyway.

You should upgrade. But in specific worst-case scenarios, you might also wish to try to downgrade (Voodoo2 users know what I mean).

pyf

pyf

Level 32
The HTML5 codecs seem unbearably slow. It is impossible for my computer to run youtube at 60 fps using them as half the frames are always dropped (possibly a vertical sync bug?).
Could h264ify help?
- Chrome version
- Firefox version

** update **

i suppose i could try it but as it is limited to 4 gigabytes of ram i can not use all my memory in it. comodo dragon uses a trick to use more than 4 gigabytes of ram(it starts up additional tasks to get around it) while internet explorer and edge is 64 bit.
*cough* Opera 12.18 *cough*

Last edited:
what browser would be optimal for running youtube videoes?
I highly suggest Firefox,and Chrome.
I had never problems with youtube on Firefox,never ever.
Chrome is good for loading sites on the internet with an low amount of internet speed,so to be honest i never use chrome,its more like a just in case browser for me.
I mean if u got some problems with youtube on Firefox,then its probably because your PC is full of shet that slows down your god damn PC(then every browser will suck in your PC,except the shet stuff is a virus that infected your browser,then it will only have effects on this one browser) ,or because u didnt installed Adobe Flash Player for Firefox.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I mean if u got some problems with youtube on Firefox,then its probably because your PC is full of shet that slows down your god damn PC(then every browser will suck in your PC,except the shet stuff is a virus that infected your browser,then it will only have effects on this one browser) ,or because u didnt installed Adobe Flash Player for Firefox.
Adobe Flash version of YouTube does not support 60 fps.

The problem is that video playback at 60 FPS in a browser of certain encodes is not possible on most computers due to the demands they place. Additionally computers without decent GPUs will struggle with the required fill rate. For example a cheap old Intel powered laptop I have cannot playback 1080p 30 FPS video without dropping frames.

Adobe Flash version of YouTube does not support 60 fps.

The problem is that video playback at 60 FPS in a browser of certain encodes is not possible on most computers due to the demands they place. Additionally computers without decent GPUs will struggle with the required fill rate. For example a cheap old Intel powered laptop I have cannot playback 1080p 30 FPS video without dropping frames.
I guess u know it better,but i still suggest to try Firefox.

pyf

pyf

Level 32

Since v27.0.0, Media Source Extensions (among many other things) have been implemented in Pale Moon. Unfortunately, XP support was also officially removed with that version onwards.

Fortunately, third-party XP compatible builds are currently on the rise:
Building Palemoon 27 for XP - Pale Moon forum
(you may jump directly to page 4)

I am personally using New Moon, which is a mod of Pale Moon for XP with H.264 support:
Releases · Feodor2/Mypal · GitHub

new moon mse xp.jpg

It currently requires to have the K-Lite Codec Pack and/or the LAV Filters installed, for H.264 support. This may change soon.

pyf

pyf

Level 32

Firefox 57 (a.k.a. Firefox Quantum) for desktop has AMD VP9 hardware video decoder support for improved video playback with lower power consumption, Mozilla says.

Mozilla also says that on Android devices, video decoding is shut down when the tab playing the media is sent to the background or the video is not visible on the screen. Video resumes when the media tab is in the foreground and the player is visible on the screen. Audio will not be affected.

Firefox — Notes (57.0)
Firefox for Android — Notes (57.0)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.