• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What do you think about: Good vs Evil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
A classical topic, which I have been pondering a lot over, and can't seem to settle down with.

Can we agree about some things that are almost universally good and evil?
What are good and evil?
Are they attributes, actions, or both?
Evil is the opposite of good, I presume, so good must be the opposite of evil, but what's good then?
Is good morality? Humbleness? Martyrdom? Lawfulness? Or what?
Can everything be devided into good and evil?

Is good often confused with unselfishness, or is there a strong connection between the two?
Is evil often confused with selfishness, or is there a strong connection between the two.
Can it sometimes be that good and evil are just being used as labels to tell you what's right and what's wrong?
Are they going to be important on the future globe? Are they important in your life? Are they really obsolete, stereotyping definitions that do not play a real role?
Is it possible to be neutral? How?

Post your answers or discuss anything about good and evil here in this thread.
And have a good - I mean nice - discussion.
Regards HS

Level 9
Good is anything that prevents the death of babies.
Evil is anything that leads to the death of babies.

Basic Policy debate ideals.

Hmm, so lets say a baby has a fatal disease that we'll call Super-Awesome-Neural Disease that can't be cured unless your harvest the brains of 1,000,000 adults and create a concentrated syrum that will cure the baby of Super-Awesome-Neural Disease. That = good? Because the evil choice would be to not do this and, by action of not doing, leads to the death of said baby with Super-Awesome-Neural Disease.

Level 11
This is what i think...

Soldiers vs Terrorists
Allies Vs Axis
Rebel Alliance Vs Galactic Empire
God Vs Satan
Goku Vs Frieza
The Race of Men Vs The Hordes of Mordor
Super Heroes Vs Super Villains
300 Spartans Vs 1,000,000 Persians
Autobots Vs Decepticons
Neighborhood Watch Vs Burglars
Good Politics (Rare) Vs Corrupt Politics

U can see good vs evil in many ways, but when it comes down to it... its fairly common sense i think.

Level 10
Maybe I couldn't figure out what to call this thread. I guess you could give it the alternate title: GOOD-VS-EVIL vs NEUTRALITY

I'd give away my teeth to get rid of good-vs-evil thinking. Do we really have to take sides? At a private level, there are probably as many kinds of good as there are people. But as soon as it's not private, isn't it just brainwashing? I know there's nothing new in this, but it's my opinion.

A lot of people hype honesty, but how many remember being honest to themselves? That discipline is called wisdom, and through it I realized that I'm an incredibly friendly, selfish bastard, because that's the only thing that makes sense to me. Good and evil, been there done that. It doesn't exist.

(you're more than welcome to disagree ofc (i.e. discussion))

Level 35
This is what i think...

Soldiers vs Terrorists
Allies Vs Axis
God Vs Satan
Goku Vs Frieza
Autobots Vs Decepticons

U can see good vs evil in many ways, but when it comes down to it... its fairly common sense i think.

Wow, man. I totally agree with you on that. Let's take exaggerated stuff from television to raise a serious point or even virtual worlds like Fallout!

Giving purified water to the poor beggars = Good karma.
Disarming a nuke = Good karma.
Donating to a church = Good karma.
Stealing = Bad karma.
Eating people = Bad karma.
Blowing up the Citadel = Bad karma.

The world totally works like that.

This is also quite fitting for the thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7XVcqZodAM&feature=related

Level 13
Wow, man. I totally agree with you on that. Let's take exaggerated stuff from television to raise a serious point or even virtual worlds like Fallout!

Giving purified water to the poor beggars = Good karma.
Disarming a nuke = Good karma.
Donating to a church = Good karma.
Stealing = Bad karma.
Eating people = Bad karma.
Blowing up the Citadel = Bad karma.

The world totally works like that.

This is also quite fitting for the thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7XVcqZodAM&feature=related
I love you.

Level 15
Hmm, so lets say a baby has a fatal disease that we'll call Super-Awesome-Neural Disease that can't be cured unless your harvest the brains of 1,000,000 adults and create a concentrated syrum that will cure the baby of Super-Awesome-Neural Disease. That = good? Because the evil choice would be to not do this and, by action of not doing, leads to the death of said baby with Super-Awesome-Neural Disease.

" Super-Awesome-Neural Disease" doesn't exist, so I don't see your point.

edit: Adding on, the Battle of Thermopylae (the movie 300 was based on this) is debateable as to whether the Persians were good or bad. Their ultimate goal was to better their own empire, and if the Greeks had the opportunity, they would have definitely wiped out the Persians, which eventually would happen if it weren't for Alexander the Great.

This just goes to show how hollywood can distort history into its own little stories. I.E. the movie "Pearl Harbor" with Ben Affleck.

Level 14
You're all wrong (here we go... XD )

Good and evil are merely a matter of perspective. They're different ways of observing the same thing.

Phrases like "One man's heaven is another man's hell" and symbols such as the yen-yang are the most common and basic attempts to portray this. Anything described as good will also be described as bad, as what helps one group inevitably damages another.

Take change for example. Change is a transformation to something new and destruction of something old, like from Summer to Winter [Fall]. During Fall most plants die out, animals enter hibernation or die, and many outdoor activities cease taking place. This is generally interpreted as a negative change by those who don't like the cold or lack of vegetation. On the other hand, winter allows snow to exist, and thus a variety of sports are 'born.'

An oversimplified (and thus imperfect) example:
Summer = warm/variety of animals/vegetation/ = Good = Winter = snow/snow sports/no allergies
Winter = cold/few animals/little if any vegetation = Bad = Summer = no snow/snow sports/allergies

Q: Is change good or evil?
A: Neither and both. (Depends on personal preferences and opinions)

//\\oo//\\

Level 11
You're all wrong (here we go... XD )

Good and evil are merely a matter of perspective. They're different ways of observing the same thing.

Phrases like "One man's heaven is another man's hell" and symbols such as the yen-yang are the most common and basic attempts to portray this. Anything described as good will also be described as bad, as what helps one group inevitably damages another.

Take change for example. Change is a transformation to something new and destruction of something old, like from Summer to Winter [Fall]. During Fall most plants die out, animals enter hibernation or die, and many outdoor activities cease taking place. This is generally interpreted as a negative change by those who don't like the cold or lack of vegetation. On the other hand, winter allows snow to exist, and thus a variety of sports are 'born.'

An oversimplified (and thus imperfect) example:
Summer = warm/variety of animals/vegetation/ = Good = Winter = snow/snow sports/no allergies
Winter = cold/few animals/little if any vegetation = Bad = Summer = no snow/snow sports/allergies

Q: Is change good or evil?
A: Neither and both. (Depends on personal preferences and opinions)

//\\oo//\\

Like you said, its a matter of perspective, so how can you say we are all wrong... it seems that you are wrong just for saying that...

most of us here clearly understand what good and evil are...

Level 14
Like you said, its a matter of perspective, so how can you say we are all wrong... it seems that you are wrong just for saying that...

most of us here clearly understand what good and evil are...

Now you're catching on.

//\\^^//\\

Extremes such as good and evil cannot exist without the other. Much in that an atom must have an electron and a proton (if one's missing it's no longer an atom but rather a subatomic particle). The electron is generally defined as 'negative' by the majority of people even though it's used as 'positive' for equations dealing with it. As long as one of the particles is called positive, the other must be negative.

Like the atom, anything that's good must be accompanied by evil and evil must be accompanied by good. The labels of the pieces are irrelevant.

Everything that exists has elements of good and bad. Some or all of the elements may be good for you and some or all of the elements bad for another. Hence the arguement that everything is good and bad, thus neither.

Edit: The concepts of good and evil exist only as a means of observing objects and ideas around us. To restrict everything to a particular PoV will, as Wolf said, lead to a failed and skewered interpretation of said object/idea.

//\\oo//\\

Last edited:
Level 14
What if it's universally accepted that one party is evil and the other is good?

That's actually where the failure to acknowledge the evil occurs. There are several obvious examples (some of you know what those are but PLEASE don't bring ANY of them up...) of this and thus is a source of dispute.

The universal acceptance is a shared PoV. Justice and Vengence are two examples of universal acceptance. Justice is generally the universally accepted good retribution, while Vengence is the universally accepted bad retribution. Neither is good for what the retribution is in response to.

Over-simplification:
Justice - good
Vengence - bad

Vengence is the revenge of an individual. Justice is the revenge of a society.
Taking revenge, although good for the majority, is bad for the minority.

Note that even if such a scenario existed due to wordplay, in reality the universal acceptance would be a label. The 'self-admitting' 'evil' party will view the 'good' as the opposite of themselves. The good is viewed as an evil even if not called such.

//\\oo//\\

Level 9
Who is debating hypothetical situations? I thought we were discussing 2 existent things (good, evil) and I put forth opinions based on existing entities (babies).

Maybe you just don't understand debating :/

Hypothetical situations and critically thinking about them are part of debates, you'd be hard pressed to find debates completely devoid of propositioning hypothetical situations and the relevance of their outcomes. :/ But you still don't seem to be answering the question, which if I dumb it down for you is basically asking: Would it be good or evil to kill 1,000,000 people to save the life of one baby, or if you prefer I can word it the other way, would it be good or evil to kill one baby to save the lives of 1,000,000 people.

Level 14
'

Of/If you get my point

Oh, now I got it...

The vengence is always justified to the one seeking it. Justice is the exact same thing but on a larger scale.

If you justify it, then you're seeing the good in that action and dismissing any of the 'bad'. Your ignoring anything that would dissuade you from pursuing your goal.

//\\oo//\\

Level 15
Hypothetical situations and critically thinking about them are part of debates, you'd be hard pressed to find debates completely devoid of propositioning hypothetical situations and the relevance of their outcomes. :/ But you still don't seem to be answering the question, which if I dumb it down for you is basically asking: Would it be good or evil to kill 1,000,000 people to save the life of one baby, or if you prefer I can word it the other way, would it be good or evil to kill one baby to save the lives of 1,000,000 people.

1) I do get it. And I know how to debate. But when you go to a debate, they don't discuss things like "what would happen if an asteroid were to fall from the sky?" they discuss things like "states ought NOT possess nuclear weapons" or "NATO presence in Afghanistan improves the lives of citizens."

Do these topics have hypothetical situations that we can debate about? Yes, but the framework of the cases built for these debates centralizes on philosophical thought (morality) and empirical evidence (facts), which are both things that aren't hypothetical.

2) There's no point in answering a hypothetical question, especially one that you make up to make me appear wrong. There's no point in even trying to debate, because anyone can make up a simple hypothetical situation to falsify anything. There's a reason they call it the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.

What THIS boils down to is I'm right and you're wrong, so you bring up a question that isn't related to real world good or evil in any way, just to try to get your own invalidated point across.

Quit acting like you know anything about speech or debate.

Level 9
1) I do get it. And I know how to debate. But when you go to a debate, they don't discuss things like "what would happen if an asteroid were to fall from the sky?" they discuss things like "states ought NOT possess nuclear weapons" or "NATO presence in Afghanistan improves the lives of citizens."

Do these topics have hypothetical situations that we can debate about? Yes, but the framework of the cases built for these debates centralizes on philosophical thought (morality) and empirical evidence (facts), which are both things that aren't hypothetical.

2) There's no point in answering a hypothetical question, especially one that you make up to make me appear wrong. There's no point in even trying to debate, because anyone can make up a simple hypothetical situation to falsify anything. There's a reason they call it the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.

What THIS boils down to is I'm right and you're wrong, so you bring up a question that isn't related to real world good or evil in any way, just to try to get your own invalidated point across.

Quit acting like you know anything about speech or debate.

This is a debate about a philosophical subject, there are no true hard facts to display pure good and evil, simply our perspectives on what those two words mean to us as individuals, something like this is where hypotheticals can be raised and addressed, in fact hypothetical questions are exactly how scientists (or anyone for that matter) come to understand the world. What if an asteroid did fall out the sky? That would be a serious concern for a lot of people, despite its hypothetical status, it is still something that shouldn't be taken lightly, asteroids exist and they have struck the Earth in the past. Just because it is purely hypothetical doesn't mean that it has no relevance whatsoever and shouldn't be taken seriously. Your other statements that are apparently relevant hard facts have hypothetical aspects about them as well, Why shouldn't states possess nuclear weapons? Because they could use them on others out of their own volition, that is a hypothesis, it can't be proven true or false, it might not even be an issue or a serious concern for some, but it does have serious implications on why we don't give states nuclear weapons. Your other example about NATO presence in Afghanastan also has hypothetical implications, such as the possible ways their benefit could help us, or even bite us in the back should they turn, neither one can be proven without a doubt but there exists the possibility of either scenario, and they are raised in debates to measure whether the costs of efforts are worth the risk. In either case, any of those have far more relevance and actual logic behind them than your views on what is Good and what is Evil, the simple dismissal of a potential scenario just because of its high improbability or possibility is no excuse to ignore it completely. The number of people could have easily just been 1,000, 100, 10, 5, 2 even 1, the only reason I picked such a high number to propose in the hypothetical was because I believed it would have been an easy and clear cut decision for anyone at all put in that situation. The fact that you completely dismiss it and don't even bother answering tells me you don't wish to even consider the fallacies of your statement, which there are a lot of, and you've pretty much left yourself open to being refuted on many ends. I didn't make up a hypothetical to prove you wrong, its a lot simpler than that, you simply are wrong in your current standing, without amendment it is a blatant labeling of events leading to a baby's death and a baby's life as evil and good. A million lives weighed against one, which would you sacrifice to save, hell even go down to 10 weighed against one, it is not as farfetched as you think, at least in this scenario there is a good outcome no matter what you picked. People have died in the past for far less, hell, even for nothing, no benefit whatsoever was brought to anyone from the deaths of people in the past, a clear example of this were the Witch Trials where innocent people were burned, stoned, or drowned to death because they were suspected of supernatural abilities.

And then you say that you're right and I'm wrong... about what exactly? I don't even know where the hell to match that statement to anything I said, I'm wrong about asking a question? I ask a what-if and I get a I'm right and you're wrong. I brought up a question that is related to your statement, it doesn't matter whether or not it has real world relevance, how many Good vs Evil debates actually do, what matters is where a statement is flawed and if it is, how can it be amended to be right, more reasonable, rational, and ultimately better. I wasn't trying to get any invalidated point across, I never made a point to begin with, I asked a question about a point you made about what is good and evil, I never gave my own opinion on the matter, I just wanted to know how much you believed in your own views on it, which it turns out isn't as much as I thought it'd be, because that is the benefit of being rational and reasonable, we can change our views to accomodate changing situations, Do I believe killing in general is bad? Ofcourse I do, would I kill one person if it meant it would, without a doubt, save the lives of thousands from dying? I probably would if I knew if I could pull it off instead of just sticking to my belief's or just dodging the scenario because it was "invalid."

Quit acting like I know about speech and debate? Yeah, clearly people say that when giving speeches or when debating, but if its a fight you want
rocky.jpg

Level 14
Neutral, so i can be without doing bad things, and still be without helping every random guy i see.

This is what i think...

Soldiers vs Terrorists
Allies Vs Axis
God Vs Satan
Goku Vs Frieza
Autobots Vs Decepticons

"Rebel Alliance Vs Galactic Empire" ?

I think you mean starwars, but otherwise, there would be bigger chance that galactic empire would be on good side..

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 10
Good is anything that prevents the death of babies.
Evil is anything that leads to the death of babies.

Basic Policy debate ideals.

At first I thought you were joking, En_Fuego. I thought it was funny.

I'm sorry for going hypothetical again. It's just a little thing... here goes:
So neutrality is like killing babies to prevent the death of other babies. Not caring about babies would be evil, because doing nothing technically leads to the death of babies as long as some evil exists.
Your definitions of good and evil don't matter to me. If we are talking baby-protectors and baby-killers, the logic involved in dealing with bad and good is exactly same as if we're talking jedis of dark and light, or US army and terrorists, or whatever.

I like to keep real-world examples out of my posts in this thread, though, because it's irrelevant who I think is good and evil. That's a matter of opinion, not fact. But we can probably all agree that George Lucas meant the dark side to be evil, and its opposite to be good.

And I like the symbolism in Star Wars btw: Evil is a side - a philosophy (or the lack of one) - but not something incarnated. Anakin is consumed by the dark side, but is later redeemed. Anyone bad can turn good. It's not people who are evil, it's their actions.

I could bring up an example from the real world, but I dare not. Okay, a certain person who have existed, whom we all know, was a leader who wanted to unite the world. He was also very idealistic and believed that his ideals were good. History has signed under that he was a real BAD guy. But in his own PoV and his followers' PoV, he was good. The only thing we can weigh is his actions. Perhaps he wasn't mentally right. Is psychological imbalance evil?

I'll go as far as to say that you have to be religious to count good and evil as real things. They're just words, unless the universe or someone actually weighs our actions objectively. But THAT's hypothetical.

But I get the whole axis of evil thing some of you have going, or Fallout good karma-evil karma. Hypothetically, it perfectly makes sense. We just have to believe that the world works like that, unless someone can quote or link to some scientific evidence.

I hope I shed light on why it's unfortunate to use real examples when discussing good and evil.

Level 15
Hugget: I WAS joking

Darkness-4ever: tl;dr after you brought up my examples of NATO and nukes. I acknowledged that there were hypothetical situations, but you shouldn't debate them because you can make a hypothetical situation to answer any real life situation and make it false. If you re-read what I posted, it's about debating morals (possession of nukes) and debating empirical evidence (NATO presence in Afghanistan)

Second, the asteroid thing wasn't a good example, you're right.

Level 14
Good is an extreme, or an exageration. So is evil. They're a stereotypes that are used to define things around us. They're also defined as the opposites of each other, thus one can't exist without the other.

Nothing can be 'purely' good or bad. It's not possible.

Nuetrality exists in the same sense that good and evil do: hypothetically. Since everything is good and bad thus neither, everything is neutral.

//\\oo//\\

Status
Not open for further replies.