• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Shooting / FPS] WH40K: Dark Millennium Battlegrounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
pXsWaZs.png
Wwbt47k.png

Stay awhile and listen, a long long time ago back into the olden days of Hive (like 10 years or so) a user named xXx-Tricky-xXx surprised the whole community by releasing his renowned map Sharpshooter Online, a masterpiece of Warcraft III GUI triggering that literally converted the game mechanics into a functional first person shooter, everything (almost) without using a single JASS code line. The map quickly became so infamously famous that a lot of substandard clones started poping every month, but it wasn't much of a problem since the author didn't care about that (he didn't even protect his map) and at the end everybody knew who was the original and indisputable king of the hill.
For some unknown reasons, Tricky completely left the modding scene in 2012 not to be seen again and his map without much updates fell into the shadows over the years, as well as the whole genre he had created...

Dark Millennium Battlegrounds is born as an initiative to revitalize this lost kind of maps and honor his original maker, by bringing a solid 5v5 third person shooter game (Gears of war style camera) based on the 40K universe.

For those users who are unfamiliar with Hive's shooter section, be advised that all game mechanics are being made on an engine which is almost 20 years old and wasn't even intended to be used in that way, so you shouldn't expect in any future to see some features such as a functionally mouselook (camera has to be moved with WASD keys) or even less falling bullets. As a result of that, optimization can be a serious issue for aged computers, therefore I have tested what I've done so far in three different rigs and that's what I have found:
  1. First candidate: Pentium Dual-Core T4400 2.20GHz, 4GB RAM, Intel Graphics HD 4400. Bought in 2009. The game is simply unplayable with an average of 15 frames per second , this inexcusable experiment has left the computer in an atrocious state, may the Omnissiah take care of its soul.
  2. Second candidate: AMD phenom X4 9650, 4GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti. Bought in 2011. The game usually runs between 30-40 frames per second with some eventual drop to 10 , another power supply has passed away in this dark times.
  3. Third candidate: Intel Core i7-3770K, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 770. Bought in 2014. The game performs above a comfy 40 frames per second perhaps you can be forgiven for not toasting the Machine Spirit of the last marvelous creature you had kidnapped.
Conclusion: Just don't try to run the map with your battle-hardened Russian dishwasher.

xmXmluC.png

The project consists of a class-based multiplayer map set on the cold trenches of a Cadian landscape, where Imperial and Chaos forces fight each other in order to stop the efforts of their mortal enemy base. Multiple strategic points are scattered through the area whose control turns out to be essential since they provide score points (needed to unlock some classes) and serve as selectable spawn locations. In summary, players will enjoy of:
  • Two game modes, a classical conquest mode where one team has to control all strategic points across the map and destroy the opponent's base, and a capture the flag mode where 1-2 flags have to be brought to the team's base and be held for a certain time [susceptible to be expanded].
  • Seven choosable classes, consisting of the trooper (Cadian Guardsman/Blood Pact Warrior), the heavy (Tactical Marine/Chaos Space Marine), the sniper (Scout Marine/Nurglite Doomed Scout), the corpsman (Guardsman Medic/Chaos Cultist, the first one can cure nearby allied units while the second one can sacrifice himself in order to restore allied units health), the support (Assault Marine / Chaos Raptor), the tank (Terminator/Khorne Berzerker) and the special one (Dreadnought/Chaos Dreadnought, both will be playable after a certain amount of achieved killstreaks) [screenshots and further description of each one of them are going to be uploaded later].
  • Bots, players will find themselves aided by a comfy amount of 20-30 bots per team, in such a way that every one of them has 32 units moving through the map.
  • Vehicles, chimeras, rhinos, whirlwind... all we'll be available for players/bots to use since the beginning of the match.
  • Secondary quests, in the middle of the conflict players will be randomly requested to aid a subfaction (like rescuing a crashed Adeptus Mechanicus vessel), one team will have to accomplish a task while the other will have to prevent it.
  • A lot more to come...
At this moment only a 15% of the project has been done, but I plan to release a public alpha upon reaching around the 25% of completion. I'm trying to be as faithfully loyal to the lore as possible otherwise you will be executed for your heresy, so any kind of suggestion about modifying the gameplay for this purpose is welcome.

S1dWFRk.png

NOTE: Right now I'm using a DotA template map as a terrain placeholder, I'll eventually show screenshots of the Cadian environment when reaching further progress (I want to keep it as a surprise for the moment).
vNmRVQc.png
QY58BKX.png
P90ddTf.png

H6rJHLH.png

Firstly, I want to thank Games Workshop for making the Warhammer 40,000 universe as well as Blizzard for creating such a powerful tool as the World Editor.

• Triggers & Scripts: xXx-Tricky-xXx
  • Models: IronMaiden, Hellish Hybrid
  • Skins & UI: unwirklich, DampirTBs
  • Icons: AlienArsonist

Status
Not open for further replies.