• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Website Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Recently i was trying to access the hive on a slow computer and it took quite a while to load the pages due to the fact that the borders and the other fancy stuff had to load on everypage...

may i suggest a package where all the borders and whatnot are predownloaded so when i access the hive it only loads text and ppls avatars... and other various things...

Level 12
i mean the whole website... it was taking between 1-5 minuets to load up different threads and stuff.... so if the interface could be prepackaged i think it would load faster... as it would only have to load Avatars, smileys, text and photos and attachments...

if this could be considered it would be apprieciated...
as not evryone has broadband and dial-up hates graphical websites...

Level 31
Plenty of reason why the speed is slow.

1) Too many visitor (Usually hive does not have less than 700 visitor).
2) You probably live at somewhere far away from the main server. Since hive server at denmark, it would be slow if you are living somewhere at asian.
3) You have poor connection as you have claim it to be.

Even if ralle disable everything, I doubt the speed could be improve. As far as it goes, you can disable avatar and signature. Just go to your Settings & Options >> Edit Options >> Thread Display Options

Level 12
i live on the north-earstern coast of austrlia
and i have quite fast internet... but this is an idea my friend suggested and im putting it forwad... as his internet isnt quite fast... and this would also heklp alot of other people with slow internet...

and i would like to continue this discusion but im hungry...
BRB in 15 or so hours... cause yes i AM that hungry... india will be gone by tomoro morning :)

Level 9
Why should they give a darn about it, it was money for them.
I got a really crappy computer from a Sunday garage store which only had 64 MB or ram. Eventually we gave it to our family friend, and we got it for $400 AUD. That was my first computer however, but I sort of got a newer one.

Its slow at first because I don't really have good internet, but when it loads often the pages often load faster with the cache can saved which could be used again. Australia's internet is good, its just that I need a better one :D .

Level 23
Im just going to drop by quickly on this one.

Im not quite sure what you request is necessary, as there already is a quick style template chooser. I experienced a bit longer loading time back some time ago with the wc3 style. But if you look at the bottom of (this current page for instance) you'll see a field where you can press, and choose/use vBulletin standard board - it is indeed faster.

Level 9
draknyte1, how fast is your computer and your internet? I know your computer is rather slow, but I wonder what they are?

I didn't do much on my older computer, and I didn't bother connecting the internet due to the slow RAM and its inferior standards in the past.

Level 9
Firefox would be fine too; I switched because Internet Explorer was rather slow and the new interface didn't please me. Also, Firefox seems to have faster downloads and is rather customizable. Opera is good too, only that I haven't used it for a while.

Level 9
my computer has 1 gig of ram, 256mb of graphics, and some other things...

but i was on hive at a friends house and he suggested this as his laptop is the greatest one ever...
With the requirements you have given (CPU would have been useful too), it seems that it is rather decent to accessing the internet and I do have the similar information you have (1 GB or RAM, and I think 128 - 256 MB of graphics). I recommend you optimize your computer such as defragmenting, freeing some space, registry cleaning and so on (you can a program to do that to make your job easier).

If not in that case and is rather the same, perhaps a faster internet or upgrade, or tweaking on MTU or settings on how the internet sends its data and receives them etc... The computer should seem sufficient given the information given and seems fine on mine (needs faster internet); or not?

Level 9
my internet get really high speeds when im obtain downloads...
but this was a suggestion that im putting forward for a friend that isnt a member of the hive... as he likes the look of this interface and doesnt like vbulletin...
There are always other forum services, such as IFB, phpBB and many more. Changing the service may prove different, considering that with my experimentation's vBulletin is the only forum service giving reputation.

Others I guess are based on posts.

Level 9
You've sure got the right idea. Programming takes time, however, so until it's done, you'll just have to bear the current implementation.
Yeah, I've been programming for two years now and I'm ready to move onto C#. I had one adviser help me program of such morals, eventually I knew it took time, and that there is always improvements. I always start mine with a Alpha, and if it seems stable I will upload it, then implementing fixes and additions until it is fully stable and useful.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Nonesense. You can browse throught sites even with a 128 MB RAM.

I have dial up, live in south america, and my computer is almost the same as yours (1 GB ram, etc, etc) and each Hive page takes from 5 to 20 seconds to load.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.