• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HIVE painfully slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
It's been more than a couple of months now and HIVE seems to load really slowly for me. Each web page takes half a minute to load on average. Other websites are fine. Today, it is slower than usual that logging in takes more than 5 minutes to process and still nothing happens so I tried using adblock on HIVE and it now loads normally like every other website. I want to support HIVE by not using adblock on it but it appears that the ads are the reason why it is slow so I have no choice but to use it unless the problem is fixed.

Anyone else have this issue?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Depends on how fast your internet connection is. Anything below 8mbps will be a huge problem due to all the GIFs used on all pages. I recommend 80 mbps at least for a good experience, even then expect the GIFs to take a long time to load due to server limitations.

In short... People need to stop spamming gifs as their avatars, in their signatures and as a substitute for YouTube.

Level 29
If loading was slow before adblock, and it's fast after adblock, I think it's clear to deduce it is something to do with ads.
If you want to further debug it, you could unblock everything in adblock, and then block things that it originally blocked one by one, until you see the lag disappear.
If it really is the ads, you are the only one who can do this. People don't get the same ads. It also means an ad supplier is probably doing something bad, and needs to be informed/punished.

Level 22
I may have jumped to a conclusion on the ads thing. Turns out even with adblock it is still slow and the apparent quick response of the site may have been purely coincidental (I tried 3 times comparing the site response with adblock and without adblock). I would have created a GIF showing the slow response of HIVE while other websites runs fine but uploading the GIF is also slow. I also tried downloading something at the same time while waiting for HIVE to load and it reaches speeds between 200 KB/s to 250 KB/s. Anyways, seems like it only affects a few (me and deepstrasz) so maybe it has something to do with my ISP or internet connection.

Browser? I used Internet Explorer and it works fine.
I've used Chrome and Firefox (like 1.5 months ago) and it's the same. I've also tried Edge, same.

Status
Not open for further replies.