• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Weapon effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
I'm making an RPG and I decided to give different weapon types various effects, so that the choice of weapon type would be important.
The problem is, I can't choose suitable effects for some weapon types.

Currently, I have these:

Sword/Greatsword: Critical Strike
Spears/Halberds: Cleaving Strikes
Scythes/Sickles: Life-steal

Axes: -none- (currently leaning towards bleed+armor reduction)
Daggers: -none-
Armblades/Fist Weapons: -none-

I was thinking of adding bleed proc or armor reduction to axes, but combat in my map is supposed to be fast-paced, so it didn't feel right (although maybe I should leave axes as primarily boss-fight weapons? though it ain't nice to force players' choice)

Also, I was thinking of giving either daggers or armblades greatly increased attack speed (they are both dual-wielded weapons), but that wouldn't feel exciting, would it?

Finally, daggers at some point were set to have active effect, instead of passive - a ranged attack, but that felt confusing, and not interesting too.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Level 19
Daggers could have something which I love - Undetection. Has a chance for the attack to not be detected, but still damage and hero still takes credit.
Axes could have generic bleeding effects, but maybe add stagger or stun? Same with hammers.
Armblades for me, would give you smaller stun chance, but greater mobility than Axes/Hammers.

It would be cooler if you added weights to items.

Level 15
The hero is diablo-esque, so "undetection" is rather useless. He runs up to things and smacks them in the face, he doesn't hide.

Was thinking of stun, but doesn't seem quite right with axes... Would look better on hammers, but the main hero in my map can't use hammers. I think I'll merge bleed with armor reduction and give axes that.

Actually, item weight is an interesting idea. Haven't thought about it for some reason. Will surely add it as a feature. +rep.

Level 15
I fleshed out the idea for axes. Axes will leave a weak armor reducing debuff (with some bleed), which will cause enemies to explode with blood when killed. That will give the axes the feel I want them to have.

EDIT:
I'm using single-weapon system. Daggers and armblades just appear as identical weapons in both arms. One- and two-handed weapons differ in attack speed (and now also in weight, i.e movement speed).

Attack blocking (you think Hardened Skin-like, yes?) is reserved for armor pieces.

However, ability to hit units behind is an interesting idea. I think it will go to some ranged sidekick, who will choose between bows and crossbows.

Level 21
Instead of swords having critical strikes, daggers could have a chance to deal double damage (hitting with both weapons at once). Daggers usually have light base damage anyway.

Swords: Pierce (Causes Bleeding)
Daggers: Dual Attack (Deals Double Damage)
Axes: Crippling Blow (Temporarily Reduces Target's Attack/Movement Speed; Explodes Target if Killed When Activated)
Wrist Blades/Fist Weapons: Quick Reflexes (Temporarily Doubles Own Attack Speed)

Polearm cleaving sounds great. Too bad hammers won't be available for dealing stuns.

Level 15
hm, if I make combat abilities deal more damage to units bleeding from sword attacks it would make it interesting enough. Okay crit chance goes to either daggers or fist weapons, haven't decided yet.

Was thinking about giving daggers a proc, randomly throwing a knife at a random nearby enemy when attacking. Not sure that would look very interesting though.

Level 11
Axes: Maim (Heavily reduces damage and AS & MS for short duration)

Daggers: Disarm (Removes target's attack ability for a short duration)

Armblades/Fist Weapons: Arm blades should definitely have have somekind of bleeding effect, while fist weapons has evasion/dodge.

Level 9
Armblades/Fist Weapon : - Penetrate. Stacking damage per X.
Axe - Tear down ( 1% chance to cleave enemies' life to 50%. ).
Daggers - Throwable/Melee. Barrage mode ( you will have 10 knives spinning within you [ like Blademaster ] and will activate if life is in crucial mode ( 15% below )
Swords - Deep wounds. Causing enemy to decrease it's defense by X and stacks X times.

Here are some suggestions:
Make a system for carrying either one or two one-handed weapons or one two-handed weapon. Two-handed would be slower but with greater effect.
Make a system which would give every attack a chance to stun/slow/maim/bleed/knockback/decapitate/... the target. Then make weapons which increase and decrease those chances. Small weapons, like daggers should have ridiculously small chance of maiming the opponent. Sharp weapons like sword and claws should have no chance to bash the target. Blunt weapons like hammer should be good at maiming and stunning, but suck at bleeding and similar.
Use your imagination make a long list of effects.

Level 6
Here is one way you could do it :)
(1) means single weapon, (2) means dual wield.

Double-headed axe: Very high damage, slow attackspeed, stackable armor reduction, 3% chance of decapitation*, slow movement speed.
Hatchet(1): Medium damage, medium-fast attackspeed, armor reduction, 1% chance of decapitation, throwable for extra armor reduction(stackable with melee attack, last for 10sec) ofcourse you have to pick it up again after thrown, very fast movement speed.
Hatchet(2): Medium damage, very fast attackspeed, armor reduction, 2% chance of decapitation, fast movement speed.

Dagger(1): Low damage, fast attackspeed, 5% chance of making target bleed** for 10sec, 5% chance of poisoning target for 15sec, 10% chance of critical hit(x4), throwable for double damage, very fast movement speed.
Dagger(2): Low damage, very fast attackspeed, 10% chance of bleed, 10% chance of poison, 15% chance of critical hit(x4), very fast movement speed.

Greatsword: Very high damage, slow attackspeed, 10% chance to completely block an incoming melee attack, 20% chance to dismember***, slow movement speed.
Sword(1): Medium damage, fast attackspeed, 15% chance to block, 10% chance to weaken****, fast movement speed.
Sword(2): Medium damage, very fast attackspeed, 20% chance to block, 10% chance to weaken, medium-fast movement speed.

Spear: Very high damage, slow-medium attackspeed, long range weapon*****, 40-20% cleave within X-Y range of target, 33% chance to stun/stop enemy action for 0.1sec, throwable with 100% chance to stun enemy for 2sec, medium movement speed.
Halberd: Very high damage, slow attackspeed, long range weapon, 50-10% cleave within Y-Z range of target, 50% chance to stun target for 0.1sec, slow-medium movement speed.
Scythe: Very high damage, slow attackspeed, long range weapon, 40% cleave within Y range of target, 40% chance to stun target for 0.1sec, 30% chance to make target bleed for 5sec, 5% chance of decapitation, slow-medium movement speed.
The stun could be traded with a knockback effect, it might be better like that

Armblades/Fist weapons: Very low damage, very fast attackspeed, 30% chance of completely evading an attack, very fast movement speed.
Armblades could also have bleed, and i'm not sure what the difference between block and evade would be, maybe block would "cost" an attack while evade wouldn't and/or when blocking you would still risk getting poisoned/stunned etc. while evading is without risk?

Okay i know that they might not be completely balanced like this, but would need to know more to make a more balanced suggestion :p

*Decapitation means killing enemy in 1 hit, wont work on bosses or heroes/hero units

**Bleed means that the target is losing a great amount of HP over time

***Dismember means giving target severly reduced attackspeed, movement speed and damage for 10sec

****Weaken means giving target slightly reduced attackspeed, movement speed and damage for 10sec.

*****Long range weapon means that the weapon will have like 300-400 range and if target is at melee range(<200) the damage output is halved(this should be ignored when the user is mounted), but it also ads a 10% chance to block incoming melee attacks.

Hope you like it :goblin_yeah:

PS: You need to make a system for how the weight will affect the movement speed, for now i just wrote from slow MS(highly reduced) to very fast MS(no or very little reduction).
Also you probably should make it so wielding (1) singlehanded weapon have some sort of advantage other than movement speed and throwability, maybe make it possible to use a shield or some other stuff you might have in your map? ;)

Last edited:
Level 6
How's it going with this map? I could help with other weapons aswell like crossbows and stuff, but wont go into it without confirmation that the map is still in progress, haven't even gotten a comment on the last suggestion yet:sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.