• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WCIII Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Hello,

I always had questions regarding how some abilities work. I made this thread to show what I have tested or intended to test. Feel free to ask any questions here or post your test of exactly how certain not-obvious-abilites work

Test1: Spirit Link

I always wondered how spirit Link work exactly. I wanted to know how it interactions with spell steal.

I found that for any the damage is Distributed among all units of the player that have the buff. i.e. when spirit Link is cast on 4 units, damage is not only Distributed among those 4, but also does include other units who were previously spirit Linked. Similarly, it works exactly the same for the human team which has spell breaker. I am still not sure if it Distributed among allies as I have not tested.

Basically, it seems like the ability is triggered this way
  • Unit receive damage D
  • Set D = D/2
  • Pick every unit in playing map area matching (Unit is within group UnitGroupSpiritLink) and (owned by triggering player) and do
  • set Temp_N = number of UnitGroupSpiritLink
  • Set HP of picked = HP - D/N
Test2:
Mana Siphon does not steal more mana from ethereal units, even when the option is chosen.

Test 3:
For some reason, abilities that are not human race may not appear for human units. However, passive abilities can still work even if they do not appear because of race issue.

spell book do appear though. im not sure if there are more abilitites that can still appear.

Test 4:
There is a trick to add hero spells to spell book: make it unit ability, add it, then make it back hero ability.

Test 5: Shadow Hunter Hex cannot be stolen, but murloc hex can be stolen even when converted to hero ability.

Test 6: Spell damage reduction ability only reduce spell damage, but does not reduce magic attacks from Sorceresses, Priests, shamans, necromancers, banshees, etc.

Test 07

Hello,

while playing around with WE abilities, I found that some Abilities Conflict with each other. Before We start, here are generals rules which help us guess if abilities would conflict:
  • if the order string is visible and identical then they would conflict with each other. Though there are some abilitites which has no apparent order string and the field value is set to (NONE).
  • In case there is no order string, the summon buff can help us guess if they will conflict.
  • Abilities that have excact same name also conflict each other (even if they have different suffix)
here is the list

1. All items conflict each other except with summon head hunters
  2. Summon head hunters, Feral Spirit, and Water Minion do not conflict one another; However, they do conflict themselves.
  3. Hunter Serpent ward summon do not exactly conflict with that of ROKHAN; Rokhan Ward is always summoned first and the hero gets stuck trying to cast the other one.
  4. Rain of chaos of archimond and balnazzar not exactly conflict; they behave in the same manner as serpent ward above.
  5. Inferno and Item Inferno behave in semilar way.
  6. Minions Conflict with each (note they all have same buff)
    • summon prawn minion
    • summon watery minion
    • Watery Minion Item ability.
  7. Water Elemental (note same buff)
    • sea elemental
    • water elemental
    • lava spawn fire elemental counts as different one
  8. Infernal summoning can be re-used to stack the unit; it doesnt conflict with Archimonde ability.
  9. dark portal doesnt conflict with any of the item abilities.

Burrow Cargo Hold gains 100% attack speed for each unit inside.
Initially you can make use of 4 units, but if you add -100% attack speed ability for the burrow, it will make it up to 5 units that benefit the burrow.

Next will test multiple units casting resurrection.

Last edited:
Level 16
Spirit Share? Did you perhaps mean "Spirit Link"?

I think you might need more testing with that ability as your results are very vague. As you said yourself "I am still not sure if it shared among allies as I have not tested".

Why is there a GUI trigger?
Well I didnt test for 2 players in 1 team.

Also this GUI is just for illustrating what algorithim is possibly used in WC3 Code for the spell. and yes it is spirit link thanks.

Level 16
About test 4, what does it change to have a hero ability instead of a unit ability ? Can a unit learn from that spellbook ? Does it change anything ?

Hmmmm, I used it to segregate different spells in the object editor; I made ice-element spells Hero spells and Fire Element Unit spells so I can see them more easily and separated. I dont think a unit can learn from spell book directly, but the unit can increase ability level using proper triggering.
Both regular abilities and hero abilities can have their level increased using triggers. (just like normal abilities are leveled)

as for test 5: spell breakers descriptions says that hero abilities cannot be stolen, and this proved it wrong (in patch 1.26 at least, which am currently using)

Edit (May 13, 2019): New Test 07 was added to OP
Hello,

while playing around with WE abilities, I found that some Abilities Conflict with each other. Before We start, here are generals rules which help us guess if abilities would conflict:
  • if the order string is visible and identical then they would conflict with each other. Though there are some abilitites which has no apparent order string and the field value is set to (NONE).
  • In case there is no order string, the summon buff can help us guess if they will conflict.
  • Abilities that have excact same name also conflict each other (even if they have different suffix)
here is the list

1. All items conflict each other except with summon head hunters
  2. Summon head hunters, Feral Spirit, and Water Minion do not conflict one another; However, they do conflict themselves.
  3. Minions Conflict with each (note they all have same buff)
    • summon prawn minion
    • summon watery minion
    • Watery Minion Item ability.
  4. Water Elemental (note same buff)
    • sea elemental
    • water elemental
    • lava spawn fire elemental counts as different one
  5. Infernal summoning can be re-used to stack the unit; it doesnt conflict with Archimonde ability.
  6. dark portal doesnt conflict with any of the item abilities.

Edit (May 19, 2019): Test 08 added:
Burrow Cargo Hold gains 100% attack speed for each unit inside.
Initially you can make use of 4 units, but if you add -100% attack speed ability for the burrow, it will make it up to 5 units that benefit the burrow.

Last edited:
Level 16
New Test 9: Banish
Here is how banish works:
Enemy units get there damage amplified for both spells and magic attacks.
Heavy armor not only receive 2.0 but 3.33 basically it stacks with armor type, it doesnt replace armor factor (I would consider this a bug becuz ethereal itself should just be an armor type)

For allies, in patch 1.21 it used to amplify damage against allies, but in 1.26 banish no longer amplify spell damage on allies. This is a field in gameplay constants "Gameplay - Ethereal ally damage bonus: False, used to be true in 1.21"

Note that neutral passive creeps in this context are considered allies, but neutral hostile are considered enemies, meaning your banish do not amplify against neutral passives.

Now does banish amplify magic attacks of sorcs on allies? I havent tested that.

Previously, I thought banish did not amplify spell damage in 1.26 but DID amplify in 1.21 because I tested this in Human Secret level with kael. this turned out to be wrong however. The reason is because garithos units seem to be neutral passive, which caused them to ignore the ethereal bonus. I tested banish on some other maps with kael and it did amplify damage, just not on that particular chapter.

Edit: Test 10: Peasants with invisibility will be revealed when they pick up gold bags or drop them to town. Banished ones cannot pick gold, as stated in patch notes.

Edit: Upcoming,
Test 11: mana upgrade regeneration field: it gives flat bonus, not %
Test 12: spirit link with magic resistance: runed bracers ability reduce damage taken from spirit link. that damage basically vanish and is not re-distributed. same applies to Archer grace.
Banish abilty blocks damage from Land mines and from batrider sucide, probably also sappers. the reason is probably that the damage from these abilities is reduced by both armor value and magic resistance.
Test13: Each % Damage bonus buff is rounded up at 0.5's+ ; rounded down otherwise.
For e.g.; 15 Damage unit, with command Aura+WarDrums+inner Fire = 15+2+2+2=21
14 Damage unit, with Command auria+WarDrums+innerFire = 14+1+1+1=17
14 Damage unit with lvl 2 Drums = 14+2.817

Test14: Gold tax is not rounded, neither up nor down. you can get fraction of gold, and it accumulates until it completes a while number, even though fraction doesnt show. However, the floating +gold text is rounded down, even though you get the correct fract.

Reserved for Test 15: inshallah revisitting spirit link, aiming to answer the following:
does it share btw allies
confirm if it distribute before defense value reduction.
Confirm if it distribute before or after armor type reduction. and spell too.
Confirm it is amplified for spirit walkers ethereal form

Last edited:
Level 16
Test 16: Multiple bash abilities do stack, and both of them can procc at the same time (patch 1.29)

Test 17: Is evasion rounded to nearest 5%? Answer: no.
was tested for 97%, 98% and 99% evasion.
Result: 40/1150, 41/1920, 41/3951
that is: 3/86.25, 2/93.65 and 1/96.34 not 1/100

it seems to be off by quite a bit.
Edit: another input vs actual result
33% => 29.3%
47% => 51.1%
62% => 63.96

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.