• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Help with a "Spirit Link" style spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi, I should start by saying that I am reasonably proficient with GUI but not with JASS.

I have a warlock style hero is able to summon a demon pet which he can use to tank damage. I would like to "Spitit Link" the two units but I'm not sure how to design the spell so that I can specifiy the warlock and his demon as the targets.

At first I tried to give an altered spirit link ability to the demon and trigger him to cast the spell on the warlock when he gets summoned but that wouldn't work because spirit link doesn't always link the caster.

The demon does not have a time limit and so the spirit link should be indefinite.

Any ideas?

thanks.

Level 33
The only way to do is I think a triggered Spirit Link, perhaps ?
Where you have to calculate the damage distribution and all, yeah lots of work + perhaps you can use Weep's GUI Damage Detection System for this if you want the triggered ones.

Because the Spirit Link is by default, will choose randomly across the battlefield to be linked with, it will not only be you and the target that will link, some at a times, it will link with another allied units around you.

Level 7
Good Idea Maddeem, that takes care of unintended targets.

There is another problem though: how do I make sure that both warlock and demon are targetted if they are surrounded by lots of other units. I could just set the number of targets to 20 or something rediculous seeing as they will all have the buff removed but it's still not a 100% guarantee.

Thanks for your suggestion Defskull, I'm not quite sure where to start with that though. If I can't find an easier solution perhaps I will need to make a resource request but at this stage I might wait and see if anybody has an easier solution.

Thanks for the help guys, will +rep.

Level 8
At this point I think the easiest way to do it is via triggering. Since you have a specific objective, that is. Just trigger it so that when the Warlock summons the thing, mark the 2 units, then just use a damage detection system to get the damage distribution and blocking. Very simple, I think, since you'll just be working with 2 sets of variable at most (I think)

Level 7
Status
Not open for further replies.